ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BEST way to convert BR15M from 1/4" to Speakons?  (Read 3262 times)

Marc Lee Winnig

BEST way to convert BR15M from 1/4" to Speakons?
« on: August 31, 2010, 07:35:39 PM »

Looking for ideas from someone who has done this, and hopefully, done this right!

Just scored a pair of Yamaha BR15M monitors... SMOKIN' deal!  Found out they have 1/4" phone plugs and want to convert to Speakons.  Took the plate out and found crossover mounted behind the 1/4" connectors, and very little room behind them.  

PartsExpress.com has bigger plates with room for the crossover on the side of the connectors (sized for Speakon or both 1/4" and Speakon) but that would involve cutting the cabinet.  Thinking there HAS to be a better way.  Possibly re-locating the X-over or a different plate setup which won't require cutting the cabinet?
Thinking maybe the fancy square wall-plate which would cover the current hole (and MAYBE have room for the X-over) could work...

If you have done this on this or a similar cabinet, or have a really bright idea... please let me know.

THANKS!

Silas Pradetto

Re: BEST way to convert BR15M from 1/4" to Speakons?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 08:25:13 PM »

Picture?

Marc Lee Winnig

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 03:21:36 PM »

Haven't taken any yet, but I think I know the way to go.

Looks like the right answer (suggested on another forum) is to drill a couple of new round holes, and wire NL2xx connectors to the existing 1/4" plugs, (leaving them and the crossovers alone).

Something like this should work: http://www.neutrik.com/client/neutrik/media/products/view/21 0_231991.jpg

(With or without flanges, covers, etc.).  I like the flatter/round flange on the NL4's but those aren't the right type.

Jonathan Kok

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 11:40:49 AM »

Marc Lee Winnig wrote on Fri, 03 September 2010 14:21

Haven't taken any yet, but I think I know the way to go.

Looks like the right answer (suggested on another forum) is to drill a couple of new round holes, and wire NL2xx connectors to the existing 1/4" plugs, (leaving them and the crossovers alone).

Something like this should work:    http://www.neutrik.com/client/neutrik/media/products/view/21 0_231991.jpg

(With or without flanges, covers, etc.).  I like the flatter/round flange on the NL4's but those aren't the right type.

I can understand why you'd think you would need the NL2 connector, as your speaker uses only a single pair, but...don't.  No-one uses them, even if their boxes use only a single pair.  Mostly because no-one wants to stock NL2 cable.  Only NL4.  And if their NL4 cable has only a single pair in it, they'll usually put a different coloured bushing on it, or somehow identify it as such.  You only need to wire up pin 1 +/-, of course.  Leave pin 2 +/- empty.

Specific part number is NL4MP or NL4MP-UC (UC has larger tabs to solder on to).

I should also point out that the photo you link to is the PCB version of the connnector; it's meant for circuit boards.

Marc Lee Winnig

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 03:33:10 PM »

Thanks Jonathan.  That does clear up a lot.

(It was an NL4MP that was first suggested).  Guess 2's suck and 4's rock, so everyone uses 4's now.  So that must be what's on the back of the Crown 802D, right?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.