ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Built a new t18 and it sounds like garbage! p.s im a noob -_-  (Read 17495 times)

Kevin Unger

Re: Built a new t18 and it sounds like garbage! p.s im a noob -_-
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 11:42:12 PM »

Art, My mistake.

Benjamin D. Hill

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 03:34:53 PM »

+1

Dan Maki

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 03:47:04 PM »

I have 4 x T18 cabinets loaded with DL18's.  I'm a mobile DJ and these have served me quite well due to their manageable size/weight.  Honestly most of my gigs only require 2 of the subs!
I occasionally do sound hire gigs for bar bands and some rappers too.
I power each pair with a bridged XTi4000.
My mains are 4 x JBL MPRo410 (again I only use 2 for most gigs) powered by a QSC PLX 3402.

After reading this thread and some other opinions out there it would seem that these really aren't that great for subs?  Since the cabinets work well for me (despite their less-than-ideal audio characteristics) what drivers would work well in the cabinets?

I've read of the EVX-180B referenced by the OP and I've also come across references to the Selenium 18SW800. I think the EVX's are more expensive than I can justify for my little operation, but the Selenium's seem reasonable.

Any others?

Thanks

Art Welter

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 05:09:39 PM »

Dan Maki wrote on Mon, 11 October 2010 13:47

I have 4 x T18 cabinets loaded with DL18's.  I'm a mobile DJ and these have served me quite well due to their manageable size/weight.  Honestly most of my gigs only require 2 of the subs!
I occasionally do sound hire gigs for bar bands and some rappers too.
I power each pair with a bridged XTi4000.
My mains are 4 x JBL MPRo410 (again I only use 2 for most gigs) powered by a QSC PLX 3402.

After reading this thread and some other opinions out there it would seem that these really aren't that great for subs?  Since the cabinets work well for me (despite their less-than-ideal audio characteristics) what drivers would work well in the cabinets?

I've read of the EVX-180B referenced by the OP and I've also come across references to the Selenium 18SW800. I think the EVX's are more expensive than I can justify for my little operation, but the Selenium's seem reasonable.

Any others?
Thanks

The complaints have been about the cabinets, putting different speakers in won't change the cabinet design or tuning.

Since the cabinets work well for you, what do you want to change?

Dan Maki

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 05:26:28 PM »

I want better sounding bass in a cabinet that is no larger/heavier.  
Not necessarily deeper bass but a little lower is always nice.  I'm happy with the overall dimensions of the T18 and I can lift up by myself when needed.  That's what I am happy about with them, not technically the design..

Alternatively, is there a good smaller cabinet design for the DL18MT's?  Maybe a cab that would suit them for the time being but would also work well with some of the more popular drivers as an upgrade down the road?

I know I'm asking for a kind of "lesser of two evils" thing here and that neither option is really ideal.  Please humor me if you are able/willing!

Thank you

Art Welter

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 06:21:23 PM »

Dan Maki wrote on Mon, 11 October 2010 15:26

Not necessarily deeper bass but a little lower is always nice.  I'm happy with the overall dimensions of the T18 and I can lift up by myself when needed.  That's what I am happy about with them, not technically the design..

Alternatively, is there a good smaller cabinet design for the DL18MT's?  Maybe a cab that would suit them for the time being but would also work well with some of the more popular drivers as an upgrade down the road?

I know I'm asking for a kind of "lesser of two evils" thing here and that neither option is really ideal.  Please humor me if you are able/willing!

Thank you

The T 18 is a very short bass horn that works to about 55 Hz.
You can get a lot of upper bass out of the cabinet, but when the speaker is pushed hard below the horn cut off it will distort, and if hit with enough power below 55 Hz it will tear up.

Simply using that size of a cabinet as a ported design would give more extended low frequency output.

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 12:00:18 AM »

Dan Maki wrote on Mon, 11 October 2010 16:26

Thank you

I called EV and got the T/S parameters for the DL18mt. I then proceeded to build a regular old ported cabinet for those woofs. It sounded about 100 times better, was actually a bit smaller, handled more power, and was lighter than the T18 was to begin with.

WTF was EV thinking when they sold that cab to the public???

Dan Maki

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 12:26:43 AM »

I'd really like to know more about the cabinets you built:)

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 12:56:35 AM »

What's to know?!?

I used the factory T/S parameters and plugged it into WinISD which spit out a box volume, and a port size. Wood, saw, paint, nails.... You get the idea.

Dan Maki

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 09:32:03 AM »

Do you have the T/S parameters?
edit nevrmnd

EV DL18MT
------------------------
Fs: 24 Hz
VAS: 580.5 liters (20.5 ft3)
QES: 0.269
QMS: 6.59
QTS: 0.259
RE: 6.0 ohms
SD: 0.130 m2(201 in.2)
MMD: 0.151 kg (0.333 lb)
LE: 2.7 m
HCMS: 0.246 mm/N
RMS: 4.08 mechanical ohms
PE(max): 400 watts
Xmax: 2:5.59 mm (0.22 in.)
Xlim3: 12.7 mm (0.50 in.)
VD: 0.725 liters (0.0256 ft3)
Freq. Res. : 30-3000hz
SPL: 96dB
Coil Size: 2"
Power RMS: 400 Watts
Power Peak: 800 Watts
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.