ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EMI Omega pro 18 xmax.  (Read 2570 times)

Duane Silveira

EMI Omega pro 18 xmax.
« on: August 29, 2010, 12:07:23 PM »

Its a little slow here so i thought i would start a thread. I have 6 double 18 cabs loaded with the Omega pro 18's at 13 cuft tuned to 39hz powered by three 4050hd's. It seems the amount of excursion and xmax are becoming more critical nowadays as manufactures are building more and more powerful subs. Based on that, i would assume i have made an ill choice in subwoofer as the xmax is 4.8 mm. Here is my confusion...the omega has such a small xmax, yet the xlim is 16mm...on par with subs that have 8,9 and 10mm xmax Confused  So the question is why would Eminence not build more into the omega? just hate to think im losing performance as i would run into distortion quicker with a smallish xmax.

Paul O'Brien

Re: EMI Omega pro 18 xmax.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 12:28:05 PM »

The Omega is an old driver dating back to the '90's I believe, back when there was little need for 30hz capability from a  pro sub. You did indeed make an ill choice of drivers for your cabs, the Omegas exceed xmax with as little as 230w in your cabs and that means distortion goes way up beyond that level. Confused In comparison PV Lowriders will handle 700w before exceeding xmax and the B&C TBX100 will take 800w bofore exceeding, and that's just droping them in your boxes and changing nothing.
The kicker is the TBX can deliver more output in a smaller box, power handling increases to the full rated 1000w in a 5 cu/ft box tuned to 42hz, which translates into 7db more output than the Omega at xmax.
Paul O
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 20 queries.