ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for lighter power amps  (Read 10998 times)

Don Ullstrom

Looking for lighter power amps
« on: August 25, 2010, 12:43:02 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I have 2 JBL SR4718's that I'm running with 2 channels of a Crown MA3600.  I also use it to power a pair of SR4719's outdoors.  I know these speakers will handle more power than this, but it was all I could afford at the time I bought them.
 I'm not as young as I once was and am looking to get some lighter power amps.  I am interested in the Peavey IPR6000.
It's 2000 watts @ 4 ohms which is how I would run them.  The only thing that makes me hesitate is this.  Crown is still selling the MA series amplifiers and they are just as heavy & pricey as ever.  If there's no difference between 2000 watts from a 6.2 lb. Peavey and 2000 watts from a a 65 lb. Crown, how could Crown continue to sell these monsters ?  What trade-offs
should I expect from replacing the Crowns with lighter Peaveys ?
Thanx for your help.

Don Ullstrom

Silas Pradetto

Re: Looking for lighter power amps
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 12:47:26 PM »

Crown is not still selling the MA series, they are selling the MAi series, which is an Itech without the DSP. They are less than 30 pounds and are going to stomp the Peavey in every way. Of course you're paying 3 times the price. One is a touring amp one is a weekend warrior amp.

Reggie Kendrick

• http://www.channelliveproductions.com
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 01:46:04 PM »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Wed, 25 August 2010 12:47

Crown is not still selling the MA series, they are selling the MAi series, which is an Itech without the DSP. They are less than 30 pounds and are going to stomp the Peavey in every way. Of course you're paying 3 times the price. One is a touring amp one is a weekend warrior amp.

The MAi's lack the digital display of a DSP but still have Fast Ethernet/HiQNet/System Architect capability.  You can configure RMS and Peak limiting, compression, + monitor other amp functions via your laptop and hard set those values to the amp.

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 02:08:54 PM »

Don Ullstrom wrote on Wed, 25 August 2010 11:43

Hi Everyone,

I have 2 JBL SR4718's that I'm running with 2 channels of a Crown MA3600.  I also use it to power a pair of SR4719's outdoors.  I know these speakers will handle more power than this, but it was all I could afford at the time I bought them.
 I'm not as young as I once was and am looking to get some lighter power amps.  I am interested in the Peavey IPR6000.
It's 2000 watts @ 4 ohms which is how I would run them.  The only thing that makes me hesitate is this.  Crown is still selling the MA series amplifiers and they are just as heavy & pricey as ever.  If there's no difference between 2000 watts from a 6.2 lb. Peavey and 2000 watts from a a 65 lb. Crown, how could Crown continue to sell these monsters ?  What trade-offs
should I expect from replacing the Crowns with lighter Peaveys ?
Thanx for your help.

Don Ullstrom

All things being equal (same technology) heavier means more robust, more heat sink and more transformer  headroom, but when comparing across different technology the weight difference can't be used to draw any useful conclusions (while some still try).

Crown will continue to sell the old technology as long as people continue to buy them.

To answer your question, there may be a difference between the Peavey and the Crown (or not), but whatever difference (if any),  isn't because of the weight, but more likely design execution and philosophy.

I would rephrase your question to ask for user experience from IPR 6000 owners (still relatively new) in applications similar to yours.

JR  

https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Tim Tyler

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 03:24:06 PM »

Don -

The IPR6000s are not yet available, no word on when, even though the IPR line was announced in Jan. of 2009... The projected weight of the IPR6000 (info on the Peavey Forum) is 12.5 lb.  Reports I have heard on the 1600 model from "reliable" sources are that they sound very good, though I have no personal experience in listening...

It is presumptuous to comment on the sound/performance of the  IPR4500/6000 until they are available and see some use.  If they perform as advertised at their price point, they will certainly stir things up in ampland, imo.

-Tim T

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 01:05:39 PM »

Reggie Kendrick wrote on Wed, 25 August 2010 13:46

Silas Pradetto wrote on Wed, 25 August 2010 12:47

The MAi's lack the digital display of a DSP but still have Fast Ethernet/HiQNet/System Architect capability.  You can configure RMS and Peak limiting, compression, + monitor other amp functions via your laptop and hard set those values to the amp.

Reggie, DSP = Digital Signal Processing. AFAIK, the signal is never converted to digital in these amps.

Reggie Kendrick

• http://www.channelliveproductions.com
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 02:10:58 PM »

Thanx for clarifying...

Mike Mc Comie

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 09:49:01 AM »

I also find myself looking at lighter amps for my mobile PA and I'm looking at the Crown XTi2000 to drive a pair of JBL 2226 single 15" subs, I'm leaning towards two XTi2000s rather than one XTi4000 as this will give me more flexability. These amps weigh about 18lbs and the reviews seem good, any comments?

Gene Hardage

• http://www.SarasotaSlim.com
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 10:52:10 AM »

I like the Xti's and have a few.  I really like the ability to make various presets for each type of speaker with System Architect.  It's easier for my little peabrain to wrap around the various settings while looking at a laptop screen than trying to figure out what a small Driverack screen says.  (do DR's have a similar way of programing via laptop?)   Also it's just one less thing to carry in the rack.  

For a weekend warrior type set up the Xti's are great.  I'm sure the ITechs are much better and some day I'll get to hear them.  The Xti 6000 is a pretty spiffy sub amp.  

It will be interesting to see how well the various lite amps hold up to vibrations from transporting.  Will they fall apart?  Which ones will hold up best?
Gene SARASOTA SLIM Hardage
http://www.SarasotaSlim.com

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 10:59:57 AM »

Gene Hardage wrote on Thu, 11 November 2010 10:52

It will be interesting to see how well the various lite amps hold up to vibrations from transporting. Will they fall apart?  Which ones will hold up best?

Nope Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZABkh3nhVM
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.