ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF 4PRO 6001-A  (Read 14100 times)

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

RCF 4PRO 6001-A
« on: August 09, 2010, 05:14:01 PM »

In a pinch I used 2 RCF 4 PRO 6001-A's for a little nightclub that had a small budget for a P.A. System.

The RCF's arrived in a very timely manner. We opted to use 4x 8001A's under 2 6001A's.

The 6001 arrived packed as good as any loudspeaker comes. Lots of staples hold the box together (be careful when opening!).  Included in the box was a standard powercon to edison coord and a manual.

The amplifier section has input, output, powercon in/out. It is actively cooled with a vent section at the top of the plate on the back. There is a recessed gain control - it came factory set at 0db and does not have any boost - only cut.

Out of the box and plugged in within a few minutes - the 6001A weighs enough to require two people to stack them (120lbs). The have cleverly put a handle on the top to assist in tilting. There is also what appears to be a "tilt down" foot at the back bottom of the speaker if you were to have it up a little higher. It almost sat very nicely on a 2 high stack of 8001's. The HF section wasn't quite high enough for our liking - but the feet and cups in the speaker and sub hold it firmly in place on level ground.

The box is very smooth with a nice crisp high end. I like the RCF 1" exit HF in combination with the 8" midrange. It offers excellent vocal range coverage. The dual 12's sound really good down to the end of the spectrum. The tops never hit limiters as the 4 8001's struggled to keep up with modern club music.

I originally thought this may be a very good alternative to the EAW kf650 - however it does lack the sheer output of its EAW brother. I would suggest this box to people that may be looking at other high end powered products (like the steroids version of the mackie 3 way boxes). With optional covers and caster boards it may make sense for bands with a little extra budget.

Unfortunately there is no real documentation offering any information on using the active sub with the top. There are 3 xover options on the sub woofer - and a 180' phase switch. It doesn't seem they have any time alignment built in with this combination.

Another thing I sort of like about this box is its pattern. at 80 degrees wide only 2 boxes will give you 160 degrees - which is a hard coverage angle for some people (and almost ideal for many). You must get a spacer - as the box angle is incorrect for tight pack. (I was told RCF makes a foamie for this).

I was in a hurry to get these up and running for our client. I will come back with measurement and get a good look at what is going on in the xover of the sub and how the two products are interacting with each other. I will also take some pictures for all to see. We have erected platforms to lift the mains up over the heads of the customers - as groundstack was just a few inches short of ideal. These units are available in Orlando for a listening if anyone would like to hear them shoot me a PM.

Reggie Kendrick

• http://www.channelliveproductions.com
Re: RCF 4PRO 6001-A
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 09:28:24 AM »

I've been eye-balling these speakers for a minute so thanks for your review.  What type of platforms are you using to get them up high?  I think I'd be in the platform predicament right off the bat as I'd prefer to cluster my subs when in use with these.

How would you rate the sound of these in comparison to a pair of EV QRX212/75 passives in terms of output and clarity?

... or any other tops you've used for that matter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.