ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you Bi-amp with?  (Read 14493 times)

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
Re: What do you Bi-amp with?
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 12:41:57 AM »

The speaker is rated for 60W long term. Consider 12dB crest factor, which is hardly uncommon in live music. That 60W RMS has peaks of nearly 500 "watts". To reproduce this signal that the driver can handle thermally, you need an amplifier at least that big.

This is all confused because amplifiers actually supply voltage. How many watts of power that creates depends on the load.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Craig Smith

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 10:47:41 AM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Tue, 24 August 2010 21:41

The speaker is rated for 60W long term. Consider 12dB crest factor, which is hardly uncommon in live music. That 60W RMS has peaks of nearly 500 "watts". To reproduce this signal that the driver can handle thermally, you need an amplifier at least that big.

This is all confused because amplifiers actually supply voltage. How many watts of power that creates depends on the load.

OK, got it, thanks! But aren't amps also rated at RMS?

Anyway, yeah, I've wondered about the value of wattage specs, since speaker impedance varies so much.

Craig Smith

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Tue, 24 August 2010 21:24[url

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/legacy/134168.pdf[/url]

Interesting, exactly!

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 02:55:39 PM »

Craig Smith wrote on Wed, 25 August 2010 10:47

OK, got it, thanks! But aren't amps also rated at RMS?

Yes, usually (always?) a sine wave (3dB crest factor) into a load, driven to the onset of clip. How clipping is defined varies by method.

Speakers can be rated any number of ways, but the usual method is AES, which IIRC is band-limited pink noise with 6dB crest factor.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Daniel Postilnik

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 11:55:51 AM »

Does the Crown XLS drivecore series dsp include limiting of watts? So far I've only seen that it can limit based on the input level, like "-2db" or whatever it may be. Is this the same thing?

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 12:21:16 PM »

Daniel Postilnik wrote on Mon, 07 February 2011 11:55

Does the Crown XLS drivecore series dsp include limiting of watts? So far I've only seen that it can limit based on the input level, like "-2db" or whatever it may be. Is this the same thing?

There is no way to DSP limit watts unless the amplifier can do real-time impedance analysis of the load, or somehow compare the current and voltage waveforms being sent to the speaker. Usual amplifier and DSP limiters are entirely based on voltage, even the Itech limiters that use watts (they actually ask for nominal impedance and watts, and calculate voltage based on that).

Theoretically, voltage (and therefore wattage) could be calculated using "-2dB" limiters, but it wouldn't be easy, or particularly accurate.

The attack, release, ratio, and other specifics of the limiter would also influence its effectiveness, and whether it was more of a "peak" or "rms" limiter.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.