ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless signal send for delays?  (Read 5203 times)

Mike Christy

• http://www.piscessound.com
Wireless signal send for delays?
« on: February 03, 2011, 12:32:19 PM »

Ive got some situations where I want to deploy delays, and use something like an AT Pro 88W system to send the signal to them.

The spec shows 6mv full scale input - Id obvisouly have to pad a line level signal down for this to work.

But what about the other end, would I have enough drive from the reciever for powered speakers, or an amp? Im guessing not. (I havent looked up camera input specs yet)

Is there another economic solution along these lines? (I know, speaker cables...)

Thanks,
Mike

Pisces Sound
Seacoast New Hampshire
Southern Maine

Jay Barracato

Re: Wireless signal send for delays?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 01:06:39 PM »

If the powered speakers are mic/line in capable, I think an IEM system might be a better application, especially if you have more than one delay speaker receiving the same signal.

One the other hand, I also seem to remember reading about someone using the line 6 digital wireless for delays.
Jay Barracato
Solomons MD

Art Welter

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 01:08:59 PM »

Mike Christy wrote on Thu, 03 February 2011 10:32

Ive got some situations where I want to deploy delays, and use something like an AT Pro 88W system to send the signal to them.

The spec shows 6mv full scale input - Id obvisouly have to pad a line level signal down for this to work.

But what about the other end, would I have enough drive from the reciever for powered speakers, or an amp? Im guessing not. (I havent looked up camera input specs yet)

Is there another economic solution along these lines? (I know, speaker cables...)

Thanks,
Mike

It depends on the amp or powered speaker sensitivity, but the Pro 88 does not look to be line level.
It has a terrible s/n noise ratio of only 30dB, only half the s/n of their other cheap stuff which has 60 dB and +9 dB output.

Since you already need to plug in the amp, what is the advantage of a battery powered receiver?

Mike Christy

• http://www.piscessound.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 02:02:34 PM »

Art Welter wrote on Thu, 03 February 2011 13:08

Mike Christy wrote on Thu, 03 February 2011 10:32

Thanks,
Mike

It depends on the amp or powered speaker sensitivity, but the Pro 88 does not look to be line level.
It has a terrible s/n noise ratio of only 30dB, only half the s/n of their other cheap stuff which has 60 dB and +9 dB output.

Since you already need to plug in the amp, what is the advantage of a battery powered receiver?

Ya, I see those specs, not the best. The Senny EW112P looks a bit better, or an IEM solution.

I have the option of using some K12s, so that would be the optimal solution.

But, any option of not needing to run cables through a theater is attractive to me, (a theater with all seating surrounded by corridors and no clean wiring paths). Even if I have the amp with the delays, and have to run one NL4 cable to the other side of the room, helps.

Mike

Pisces Sound
Seacoast New Hampshire
Southern Maine

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 02:08:04 PM »

I've used IEM packs to feed delays in awkward positions before, although you'll need a good antenna (ie. helical) to assure quality signal

the advantage to wireless signal is that power is usually easy to come by, where as signal needs to come from a specific source

dropping an amp rack or some powered speakers with an IEM transmitted input works much better than running signal sometimes hundreds of feet away from mix position.
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design

Doug Fowler

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 02:16:25 PM »

Quote:

I've used IEM packs to feed delays in awkward positions before, although you'll need a good antenna (ie. helical) to assure quality signal

Same here (Sennheiser), with a helical.  Several hundred feet has been no problem.

"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Rick Stansby

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 02:43:30 PM »

I have used a system from Listen Technologies for parades.  We place the transmitter with the mixer and the receiver with the remote speakers.

I didn't buy the system, but I think it was very similar to this:
http://www.listentech.com/assistive-listening/assitive-liste ning-sfm/ls-15-216.html
Rick

Dennis Deem

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 10:35:08 PM »

Shure PSM900 to Shure UR receiver
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.