ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Dislike Powercon?  (Read 7418 times)

(Brian) Frost

Dislike Powercon?
« on: August 20, 2010, 01:54:09 AM »

Am I alone is disliking powercon.  Not because its a bad connector, but because I cant standardize the whole system to have fewer types of cords. If I get somewhere and am missing a powercon, Im basically screwed.  Functionally great connector but unless I can change out EVERY IEC in my small rigs, it doesnt seem worth it. I think the locking IEC on qsc products is a great compromise.  

Doubt Ill find much support on this view.
Frost

Owner, Narnia Productions

www.NarniaProductions.com

Chicago IL

Good is good but not as good as better

Joseph Mulvaney

Re: Dislike Powercon?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 02:15:33 AM »

(Brian) Frost wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 00:54

Functionally great connector but unless I can change out EVERY IEC in my small rigs, it doesnt seem worth it. I think the locking IEC on qsc products is a great compromise.  

You have answered your own question I think?

Todd Black

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 02:18:47 AM »

I like powercon for its intended use, which is a locking connector for a detachable line cord.

What I do not like is its use in portable power distribution, stage boxes, or cords beyond the detachable line cord on a piece of equipment. These uses were never intended by the manufacturer and I think they are simply idiotic.

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 02:34:26 AM »

Todd Black wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 01:18

What I do not like is its use in portable power distribution, stage boxes, or cords beyond the detachable line cord on a piece of equipment. These uses were never intended by the manufacturer and I think they are simply idiotic.

Inquiring minds would like to know. What did Neutrik say they had originally designed them for?? I haven't ever seen anything Neutrik had written up about their intended usage, so I'd be interested...

*runs off to google*
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Todd Black

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 02:42:19 AM »

Adam Whetham wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 01:34

Inquiring minds would like to know. What did Neutrik say they had originally designed them for?? I haven't ever seen anything Neutrik had written up about their intended usage, so I'd be interested...

*runs off to google*

they were intended to be a locking connector for detachable line cords on equipment, replacing the IEC connector.

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 06:53:36 AM »

Adam Whetham wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 08:34

*runs off to google*

IMO, this a common sense thing, the Powercon is great for one thing, it locks, apart from that it's not exactly great, including how exposed the conductive bits are.

The fact that it doesn't withstand breaking/connecting any significant current makes it barely usable for powered speakers and such, but not much else.

Making a whole stage setup with just Powercons reminds me of the DJ lighting controllers/systems of the 90's that had male/female IECs for everything.

Edit:  Removed unintentional snarkiness.

Caleb Dick

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 06:57:48 AM »

I love powercon, and would even like a system where every single IEC and Edison were replaced. If changing that many cables/connectors/receptacles, it would be easy to make many spares. Rack drawers to hold a couple IEC or Edison to powercon adapters with the other common adapters to ensure they are on site.

My 2c
Caleb
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Joe Brugnoni

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 12:20:52 PM »

I wish the QSC K series had the power cons on them so I could build my own power cords for them,  the ones they send really suck to hide on stage when they are used as monitors, they will not coil or lay down with out gaff tape. Kind of dificult when there are multiple bands and the monitors must be moved!

In that case I would like a power con but the locking connector they are suppling seems to do a good job.
Be nice to everyone as you can learn something from anybody

Christian Tepfer

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 12:21:01 PM »

(Brian) Frost wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 07:54

Am I alone is disliking powercon.  Not because its a bad connector, but because I cant standardize the whole system to have fewer types of cords. If I get somewhere and am missing a powercon, Im basically screwed.  Functionally great connector but unless I can change out EVERY IEC in my small rigs, it doesnt seem worth it. I think the locking IEC on qsc products is a great compromise.  

Doubt Ill find much support on this view.

I like them as power cords.
Yes, you have to take the cables with you as it is the case with IEC cords. The more common they get the easier will it be to get spares in an emergency.

One downsize is that they are not voltage coded. So 120V equipment can take harm when a powercon is being powered with 240V.

For sideracks and similar distribution stuff (in/out and so on) it can be good when the company does it from the start on every connector so there are only powercon cables. And have spares. I know one company here that has good results with that kind of distribution.

Todd Black

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 01:34:39 PM »

Caleb Dick wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 05:57

I love powercon, and would even like a system where every single IEC and Edison were replaced. If changing that many cables/connectors/receptacles, it would be easy to make many spares. Rack drawers to hold a couple IEC or Edison to powercon adapters with the other common adapters to ensure they are on site.

My 2c
Caleb

the connector series just isnt suitable for this. cant make an extension without a seperate adapter. with edison you have receptacle, cable mount male, cable mount female, and flange mount male and females. All of this plugs together. Powercon on the other hand is two seperate connector types 'inlet' and 'outlet'. Great for detachable line cords on equipment, with the 'outlet' pair allowing equipment to be daisy chained together. Beyond that use the product is awful.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.