Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Cost For A Gig...

(1/3) > >>

Ray Saunders:
I'm fairly new to the sound game, but I've been asked by a club to do some sound for some R&B/Dance "B" artists.  Each gig will consist of one artist singing 3-4 songs to a prerecorded track, via cd/mp3 etc. I will also have a DJ system that will be patched into my board, so I'll have to be there all night.  I live in California and wondering what I should charge.  Is there a standard rate? 
Thanks!   

Tony Ly:
You need to post with your real name.

James Feenstra:

--- Quote from: Ray Saunders on March 11, 2011, 10:55:19 PM ---I'm fairly new to the sound game, but I've been asked by a club to do some sound for some R&B/Dance "B" artists.  Each gig will consist of one artist singing 3-4 songs to a prerecorded track, via cd/mp3 etc. I will also have a DJ system that will be patched into my board, so I'll have to be there all night.  I live in California and wondering what I should charge.  Is there a standard rate? 
Thanks!   

--- End quote ---
need more info;

are you supplying production (pa/lights/etc) or just coming in as a tech yourself?
if you're supplying production, what are you supplying?

obviously something for an arena sized show is going to be more than a small bar gig...need to get the scale of the event before a price can be determined

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: Ray Saunders on March 11, 2011, 10:55:19 PM ---I'm fairly new to the sound game, but I've been asked by a club to do some sound for some R&B/Dance "B" artists.  Each gig will consist of one artist singing 3-4 songs to a prerecorded track, via cd/mp3 etc. I will also have a DJ system that will be patched into my board, so I'll have to be there all night.  I live in California and wondering what I should charge.  Is there a standard rate? 
Thanks!   

--- End quote ---
What is your time worth?  Not only at the gig-but also the prep time before and after?

How much is it going to cost you to get the gear to the gig?

Are you going to need any help that you will have to pay?

What percentage return do you want on the rental of the gear? 1% 5% 10%.  If it is 1%, then you will have to rent it out 100 times (and have no failures) for the gear to pay for itself.  That is pretty easy to figure up.

What about the cost of insurance for the gig?

You first need to start by adding up the numbers of the individual "parts" of what it is going to take.  THen go from there.

Remember if you give it away-and something breaks-it is coming out of your pocket.  How is that going to be covered?

g'bye, Dick Rees:

Thanks!   

--- End quote ---

Ray....

Do a little research locally.  Ask yourself this question:

What would it cost me to hire someone to cover for me if for some reason I couldn't do the job? 

That's what you should charge. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version