ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rental Truck Top Speed  (Read 32974 times)

Tom Reid

Re: Rental Truck Top Speed
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 09:34:24 am »

Jamin Lynch wrote on Wed, 18 August 2010 13:05

Do you really need to go that fast with a loaded 26ft truck?

Let me know when you leave so I can stay off the roads that day. Laughing  

I have to agree here.  I've never been accused of being sane, but I am one of the safety cops. Slow and steady wins the race and saves a few pennies.  If the girl from Buchannan decides to slow your trip,  put her in the back of the truck.  Never drive alone.
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Jamin Lynch

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 11:10:30 am »

I took a road trip a couple years ago from Corpus Christi Texas (way down south) to Oak Harbor Washington (2 hours north of Seattle) pulling 2 horses in a large horse trailer. We hit IH10 at San Antonio and drove to LA, there we picked up on IH5 the rest of the way. Yes, I know there is a shorter route. Visited some friends along the way.

We could have driven 80mph on IH10, as that was the posted speed limit in west Texas, but it wouldn't have been very safe as you might expect. Of coarse we had to stop and walk the horses every 4-5 hours or so. The trip took 5 days.

But I'm glad we took our time and didn't zoom through northern California and miss all the beautiful views. Sometimes you just gotta slow down a bit and enjoy the country side.

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 11:42:46 am »

Jamin Lynch wrote on Thu, 19 August 2010 10:10

I took a road trip a couple years ago from Corpus Christi Texas (way down south) to Oak Harbor Washington (2 hours north of Seattle) pulling 2 horses in a large horse trailer. We hit IH10 at San Antonio and drove to LA, there we picked up on IH5 the rest of the way. Yes, I know there is a shorter route. Visited some friends along the way.

We could have driven 80mph on IH10, as that was the posted speed limit in west Texas, but it wouldn't have been very safe as you might expect. Of coarse we had to stop and walk the horses every 4-5 hours or so. The trip took 5 days.

But I'm glad we took our time and didn't zoom through northern California and miss all the beautiful views. Sometimes you just gotta slow down a bit and enjoy the country side.

I will second that.  I have driven from Wisconsin to Oregon (and on one trip back to WI via LA, Vegas, Denver and many great places along the way.

I HAVE made the WI to OR trip in 3 days.  My wife and I have also taken a week to do the same trip.  It is worth it to slow down and stop more often.  It is amazing the places you can find.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Ben Johnson

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 01:06:15 pm »

Tom Bourke wrote on Thu, 19 August 2010 10:42

I HAVE made the WI to OR trip in 3 days.  My wife and I have also taken a week to do the same trip.  It is worth it to slow down and stop more often.  It is amazing the places you can find.

My ex gf and I went from Chicago to Oregon in 2 days.  I bet you did see a _lot_ more in that week than we did.

We had 3 days for the drive back, which seemed even harder.  But the drive back always is for some reason...

Ben
"The sigfile.  Where people share their wisdom about life and the human condition, usually by quoting somebody else." -Me.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 01:18:19 pm »

Eric Hendricks wrote on Wed, 18 August 2010 15:47

As a former OTR truck driver, I can tell you that the top speed of the truck is not what shortens the time.  Staying in the seat shortens your time on the road.  When you stop for the night, you actually sleep instead of staying up ratchet jawing all night in the truck stop, then waking up later in the morning and having to hammer on it to make up for lost time.  And of course if your well rested, your performance on the road is much better and everyone is safer.

Eric has the pertinent observation: keep moving, don't stop unless you have to.  In a truck of almost any size, *every* stop stop adds a minimum of 15 minutes and typically a half hour to a drive.

Back in my "band in a van" days I had a little talk with the band when I was driving.  "I only stop for fuel and cops.  Pee now."

The look on the keyboard player's face was priceless when, 2 hours after downing a 2 litre bottle of cola beverage, he was handed a funnel and told to recycle the 2 litre bottle.  "I only stop for fuel & cops, and we have half a tank."  Applied to the ladies, too.

Jay's experience demonstrates WHY such a driving policy is important:  people die at 90 mph because the driver isn't experienced in dealing with corrective maneuvers or reacting to emergencies at such speeds and the vehicle isn't designed for those speeds at full load.

Using Eric's math, one unnecessary stop between fill ups eats up every minute saved by higher speeds.

Drive safe, pay attention for fools like me on the road!

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 02:58:27 pm »

You are right.  I forgot about the time we made it in 30 hours.  That sucked!  It was still better than dealing with airport security.

Now we tend to take a little over 2 weeks if we visit Oregon.  3 to 4 days out and back with a week of visit time.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Marlow Wilson

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010, 06:25:34 pm »

Ben Johnson wrote on Thu, 19 August 2010 13:06

We had 3 days for the drive back, which seemed even harder.  But the drive back always is for some reason...

Ben

I did Vancouver to Minneapolis in 36 hours with a good friend some time ago.  We stopped for coffee in Seattle (First Starbucks at the Pike market) and then a few beers and quick nap in Missoula.  The two of us would alternate between fillups and sleep as much as possible while not driving.  I actually much preferred it to the 24 + hour flight I make every so often.  We were actually busting are asses to get back for a IATSE holiday call that ended up paying for most of our trip  Very Happy
I should probably be doing something else right now....
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.