ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black Widow Blasphemy  (Read 3835 times)

Jonathan Heimberg

Black Widow Blasphemy
« on: August 17, 2010, 12:04:06 PM »

Just curious,

I'm not much of a woodworker, and though I've been lusting after lab subs for more than a few years, until I can buy them pre-made or hire a carpenter, it's not going to happen.

On the other hand, I've got a couple pairs of Black Widow 18"'s laying around that I was about to dump. Then I thought, why not put them in a couple dual-18 boxes for kicking around "C" rig stuff.

What would be (or where would I look) for a basic dual-18" plan that would work with these drivers?

Thanks in advance,

Paul O'Brien

Re: Black Widow Blasphemy
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 01:32:36 PM »

There are several versions of the BW, and 350w 1801 and a 500w 1808, and there are also 4 and 8 ohm versions of some of those, but in all cases the Black Widdow is really more of a guitar/bass speaker than a subwoofer.. despite the fact that Peavey loads them in the SP series "subs". That said they will get pretty loud with live sound sources so if you happen to have some of the better 1808's then copy the SP boxes and you should be good to go.
Paul O

Art Welter

Re: Black Widow Blasphemy
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 02:24:10 PM »

Jonathan Heimberg wrote on Tue, 17 August 2010 10:04

Just curious,

I'm not much of a woodworker, and though I've been lusting after lab subs for more than a few years, until I can buy them pre-made or hire a carpenter, it's not going to happen.

On the other hand, I've got a couple pairs of Black Widow 18"'s laying around that I was about to dump. Then I thought, why not put them in a couple dual-18 boxes for kicking around "C" rig stuff.

What would be (or where would I look) for a basic dual-18" plan that would work with these drivers?

Thanks in advance,

A Push-Pull Slot-Loaded (PPSL) would be helpful in removing some of the upper end and reducing the second harmonic distortion those musical instrument speakers have. A “V” load can be used also, reducing the plenum volume, thus reducing cabinet size slightly, but making the construction slightly more difficult due to those pesky angle cuts.

index.php/fa/32074/0/

The “backwards” cone polarity must be reversed, both cones “push” forward into the plenum with positive voltage applied to the positive terminal.
The rest of the cabinet works as normal, size and tuning as Paul O’Brien suggests could be determined from a Peavey enclosure.
A deeper plenum will tend to roll the top end off lower.

Going with a larger, deeper port of the same tuning is beneficial, many of the designs of old (and new..) use too small ports.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.