ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noob Question about interfacing home audio with Pro Amps  (Read 7315 times)

Brian Frook

Noob Question about interfacing home audio with Pro Amps
« on: August 12, 2010, 02:23:18 PM »

Ok, Sorry if I posted into the wrong forum but this seemed like the best match.

I just purchased a Samson SX-1800 Power Amp. It wants TRS Balanced or XLR Balanced inputs (+4dBu) etc..

I want to connect a headphone output from my Sansa MP3 player to it, and at least 1 other consumer audio product to it like a DVD or CD player (All Stereo and probably unbalanced outputs of course)

I have been looking at the Samson "S-Convert" RCA Unbalanced to XLR Balanced converter, but also I have been looking at the Samson MDR6 or MDR624 mixers as well to use instead of the S-Convert box which only handles one input versus a mixer with several inputs.

Two big questions. I know the headphone output from the MP3 player works great in the AUX input on consumer audio receivers as long as I keep the volume on the player to half or less, and same goes with the DVD player (used to decode stereo FLAC and MP3 files)....

So 1st question, if I used one of these mixers instead of the S-Convert will it also convert the unbalanced signals into the more "Pro Friendly" balanced output (AUX Send or CR/Main Outs on mixer(s))?

2nd question. Since Sampson refuses to answer my technical phone calls, when dealing with RCA level inputs, is having both the left and right channels available to plug into a mixer considered "Balanced" or does that only apply to 3 conductor connections for both the left and right channels (6 conductors in use for L+R like XLR or TRS have)?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for being such a noob.

Ken Freeman

Re: Noob Question about interfacing home audio with Pro Amps
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 02:28:21 PM »

You are attempting to cross you consumer audio gear with one that has professional level inputs.  Is this for you home stereo?  Are you a DJ? Do you have plans to become a sound engineer?  Can you return the Samson part to get another one?  Answer these and I will try to point you into the right direction.

Ken

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 02:47:42 PM »

Brian Frook wrote on Thu, 12 August 2010 13:23

Ok, Sorry if I posted into the wrong forum but this seemed like the best match.

I just purchased a Samson SX-1800 Power Amp. It wants TRS Balanced or XLR Balanced inputs (+4dBu) etc..

I want to connect a headphone output from my Sansa MP3 player to it, and at least 1 other consumer audio product to it like a DVD or CD player (All Stereo and probably unbalanced outputs of course)

I have been looking at the Samson "S-Convert" RCA Unbalanced to XLR Balanced converter, but also I have been looking at the Samson MDR6 or MDR624 mixers as well to use instead of the S-Convert box which only handles one input versus a mixer with several inputs.

Two big questions. I know the headphone output from the MP3 player works great in the AUX input on consumer audio receivers as long as I keep the volume on the player to half or less, and same goes with the DVD player (used to decode stereo FLAC and MP3 files)....

So 1st question, if I used one of these mixers instead of the S-Convert will it also convert the unbalanced signals into the more "Pro Friendly" balanced output (AUX Send or CR/Main Outs on mixer(s))?

2nd question. Since Sampson refuses to answer my technical phone calls, when dealing with RCA level inputs, is having both the left and right channels available to plug into a mixer considered "Balanced" or does that only apply to 3 conductor connections for both the left and right channels (6 conductors in use for L+R like XLR or TRS have)?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for being such a noob.

http://www.rane.com/pdf/ranenotes/Sound%20System%20Interconn ection.pdf

In general professional amplifier will use forced air cooling (fans0 that are not very desirable in quiet listening rooms.

Use the rane link to match up your unbalanced  RCA to XLR or TRS jacks.

Have fun...

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Brian Frook

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 03:54:34 PM »

It is actually used for frequent large outdoor parties and poolside music. I just want loud clean sound and the Samson pro amp for powering a pair of subwoofers. I already have plenty of clean power for my PA speakers (3 way 500w RMS beasts) from my high power consumer audio receiver, but I wanted to lower the bass a little on that unit, and run all bass through the Samson SX1800 using either my Numark eq in the signal path or an electronic crossover between the receiver record outs and the Samson inputs. I was going to cut by 15db everything above 160hz going to the Samson. The whole balanced vs. unbalanced problem is what I am dealing with at the moment. The Samson S-Convert box http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=16 99 is perfect for this but for about $40 more, I could just use a small mixer if it can do the unbalanced to balanced conversions as well.

Ken Freeman

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 07:04:48 PM »

That will work.  Have fun!

Ken

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »

There is a very simple solution to this that I have been building for years. All it takes is a passive (unpowered) and inexpensive transformer interface. PM me and we can discuss the setup.

Scott Carneval

• http://www.noregretproductions.com
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 10:37:08 AM »

I was going to mention a small DJ mixer until you said this was just for subs.  Why would you hook your source directly to this amp?  And if you do hook your source directly to this amp, how will your tops (home theater receiver) get signal?  Doesn't your home theatre receiver have a subwoofer output?  If so, chances are it's got a built in crossover as well.

A quote from the user manual for the sx1800: 2: We recommend
the use of balanced three-conductor cabling wherever possible (unbalanced two-conductor 1/4" plugs can also be inserted
into these inputs
, but you’ll get better signal quality and less outside noise and hum if you use balanced lines).

It sounds like you're overthinking this for your application.  Try a set of rca to 1/4" adapters like this (and don't waste your money on Monster, that's just the first link I found.) http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Monster-Cable -Female-RCA-to-14-Male-Mono-Cable-Adapter?sku=330099&ZYX SEM=0&src=3AGGWXX2  

Chances are you won't get any hum, especially if you're using a really short run like I expect you are.  If that doesn't work then move on to one of the more expensive options.  
Scott Carneval
No Regret Productions
www.noregretproductions.com
scott@noregretproductions.com
919-619-4095

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 07:24:08 PM »

Here is a rane document to help

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

Rane's library in support has lots of good info!

Brian Frook

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 01:44:48 PM »

Thanks. I saw that site before. Really great cable info there. I eventually used an pair of RCA to 1/4" TS cables to my mixer to get the job done. Works like a champ! No buzzing or humming anywhere even though the connection is not balanced/grounded. I have since started moving more toward the pro gear. I like pro gear much better than home audio gear after working with it for a few months. With the exception of a few vendors (Onkyo, Yamaha), there is alot of garbage out there. It's as if someone decided that 10% THD is "acceptable" for home audio gear. Well not in my book! I don't want any THD over .05% if I can help it.

- Life begins at 5,000 Watts (RMS)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.