ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: bassmaxx b zero replacment drivers  (Read 15197 times)

jorge ramirez

bassmaxx b zero replacment drivers
« on: August 09, 2010, 06:07:28 PM »

ok i have 8 sr4719x and want to upgrade.  so i have the opportunity to purchase 4 used bassmaxx b zero without the drivers.  i need some suggestions on what replacement drivers i can use. of course a list of the "best" will work but also some woofers that are economical.

i think i read that someone had b&c very happy (dont know what model), i also have 4 jbl 2242H, i went to 18 sound website but could not find the es18 or zr18 on there. i did see the 18lw1400  and 18nlw9600 double the price but double the watts.

also for future planning, would it be better to have 4 boxes with the upgraded drivers or 8 boxes with decent drivers. considering 4 blocks vs 2 blocks should increase the sound right?

thanks, jorge

Silas Pradetto

Re: bassmaxx b zero replacment drivers
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 06:17:33 PM »

Your 8 current double 18s will still most likely be louder over time. More cones = more voice coils = more heat dissipation = less power compression. Usually.

What part of the subs are you trying to "upgrade"? Low-end extension, level, size, weight, rider friendliness, color?

jorge ramirez

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 06:45:10 PM »

long throw. when im up close they kick but when i step back its remarkably lower. indoor not to much of a problem, but definitely out door.

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »

jorge ramirez wrote on Mon, 09 August 2010 18:45

long throw. when im up close they kick but when i step back its remarkably lower. indoor not to much of a problem, but definitely out door.

That means you need MORE subs, not less. You can't beat the inverse square law.

There is almost no chance that 8 really decent double 18s are going to be beaten by 4 of any other double 18

jorge ramirez

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 07:23:54 PM »

point taken. once i get these four subs up and running i will compare first hand. maybe ill just keep them all. they are single 18's and i heard them when my friend had them, they bump.

but for now i need to know what drivers i can use on these bass horns.

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 09:40:45 PM »

jorge ramirez wrote on Mon, 09 August 2010 23:45

Hi

If you compare four Bassmaxx B Zeros to four EV MTL 1X cabinets, four Bassmaxx B Zeros will keep up and, offer more output below 50 Hz than four EV MTL 1X enclosures.

When you say, “kick” that is more upper bass region. Double Eighteens are usually not as loud as folded horns under those conditions since the frequencies that comprise of “kick” are short bass waves.

Horns are beneficial over reflex cabinets under those conditions due to amplifying the frequencies that comprise of kick better than a reflex box. That is the main reason why many use bass horns.

Also, it is very common for many to own lots sub cabinets and not enough low midrange drivers especially when the bulk of the music material consists of a lot of mid bass. This is why many use “Kick bins.” The cabinets perched on top of the double eighteens in your avatar resemble twelve’s. If they are indeed twelve’s I can understand why you are looking for bass cabinets that offer a strong “kick.”

I would suggest contacting David Lee if you would like suggestions on a bass driver for the Bassmaxx B Zero. When I heard them, they used the Neomaxx 18. I believe the mechanics are similar to the old Aura 1808.

Best Regards,
Elliot

Josh Ricci

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 12:38:25 PM »

The manufacturer of the 18" drivers used in the Bassmaxx's was TC Sounds. The have a current very nice 18" drive the PA5100 which may or may not work in that cab. They also offer recones and motors for 1808's. If you are serious about replacements contact Kyle Keating at their forum. He may be able to help.
I know just enough to know that I'm clueless.

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 06:08:41 PM »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Mon, 09 August 2010 15:56

There is almost no chance that 8 really decent double 18s are going to be beaten by 4 of any other double 18

Hi Silas,

The B-Zero is not a double 18. It is a single horn-loaded 18. In a block of 4, I would expect that the B-Zero is about equal in output to 8 sr4719x subs. They won't "sound" as loud due to decreased distortion characteristics, but measured I would expect them to be about equal.

Jorge,

Definitely speak with David Lee about what drivers to use in your boxes. I believe there are a couple quality options available that have been tested to work well over time. The NEOMAXX driver is I think no longer available, but the new factory mods for the B-Zero decrease the need for an expensive driver in that box.
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 09:11:26 PM »

Pascal Pincosy wrote on Tue, 10 August 2010 18:08

Silas Pradetto wrote on Mon, 09 August 2010 15:56

Hi Silas,

The B-Zero is not a double 18. It is a single horn-loaded 18. In a block of 4, I would expect that the B-Zero is about equal in output to 8 sr4719x subs. They won't "sound" as loud due to decreased distortion characteristics, but measured I would expect them to be about equal.

Jorge,

Definitely speak with David Lee about what drivers to use in your boxes. I believe there are a couple quality options available that have been tested to work well over time. The NEOMAXX driver is I think no longer available, but the new factory mods for the B-Zero decrease the need for an expensive driver in that box.

I guess I jumped the gun on that one, I have no idea what made me think we were comparing double 18s to double 18s.

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 09:40:04 PM »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Wed, 11 August 2010 02:11

I guess I jumped the gun on that one, I have no idea what made me think we were comparing double 18s to double 18s.

These are Bassmaxx B Zeros...

http://i33.tinypic.com/13zcyea.jpg

They are roughly 24" by 24" by 48" in dimensions. The Bassmaxx B-Zero should be around 10 years old. There was also the B-1 and, B-2. The B-2 resembled the size of the Lab Sub.

If I remember correctly, the B-1's were introduced using the McCauley 6174 in the late 1990's.

Best Regards,
Elliot
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.