ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Peavey SP1 cabs, what's the deal?  (Read 39906 times)

Jason James

Old Peavey SP1 cabs, what's the deal?
« on: August 06, 2010, 10:22:42 PM »

Hi all,
I'm cleaning out the garage and posted a pair of old SP1's for sale. They were given to me and I know nothing about them other than they are HUGE cabs and look ancient. I figured they were beyond old school and someone might make a work bench out of them.

The thing is... I've had a number of responses of people wanting these things. Heh, heh, heh...Now I'm starting to wonder! Do these things sound great when working properly or something? I've done some searching and found that they are supposed to sound pretty good and get very loud with little power, of course that's all subjective. I've also seen where people in the past have used them with project 2 cabs? Any users of them with comments? I'd love to have some cabs for bigger outdoor gigs but these??

Thanks!index.php/fa/31880/0/

David A. Parker

• http://www.lostandfoundsoundco.com/
Re: Old Peavey SP1 cabs, what's the deal?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:57:14 PM »

those are some of the oldest ones, the newer ones have a brace in front. These are pre-black widow. They are some of the most efficient speakers ever sold, and as I recall they sound decent for what they are. Certainly not the best sounding cabs around, but loud.
David Parker
Lost and Found Sound
http://www.lostandfoundsoundco.com/

Scott Smith

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 08:46:32 AM »

These are "work horses".  The people that remember them, usually remember how well they performed for their size.  They are tough and extremely efficient (loud).  With some "love" on the EQ.. they can sound decent enough ... especially for your typical struggling bar bands with NO budget who won't care about lugging around old dinosaurs!
"Percussive Maintenance" - Bang on it until it works!
Scott Smith, South Florida - MIXING OLD SCHOOL WITH NEW

Bob Josjor

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 09:53:09 AM »

If I were forced to guess which combo had more bar gigs than any other, I would say that these (or the old SP2's) coupled with an XR600 would be the winner.  Affordable, loud, and don't sound too bad for the money.

It amazes me that these were so loud with just 300 watts running into them.  Loud vs. quality of sound......well, that's a whole other issue.  But, as stated earlier, they were workhorses.
Why did I drink all the ingredients for vomit?

Scott Smith

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 08:14:17 PM »

Here you go (found this)... elevate the SP1 above crotch level..

http://sales.jack.ch/images/DSC04058_Peavey_Mark3.JPG
"Percussive Maintenance" - Bang on it until it works!
Scott Smith, South Florida - MIXING OLD SCHOOL WITH NEW

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 07:03:02 AM »

Anyone notice the mint-condition old style Peavey SP2s in the assembly hall in the beginning and at the end of the Bad Lieutenant movie?

Seeing it reminded me that I had a couple laying around at the warehouse taking up space, so I dismanteled them the next day.  Reading this thread almost made me regret it  Rolling Eyes

Tim Padrick

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 12:15:41 PM »

They can be quite beamy in the high end (like many older horns), but a little piece of foam stuck partway down the throat takes care of it.

Patrick Campbell

• http://www.jurysout.com
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 12:18:05 PM »

in 1978 I went to Biasco Music in Chicago and bought a Peavey XR-600B (B means in flight case) and two SP-1 spekaers - these things were huge and a pain but I tell for that time and the cost they did well. By 1990, I have 6 of them run by CS-800's and we stacked them THREE HIGH for the look - man we were crazy - this brough back a lot of memories of these monster cabs - albeit, low budget and not great sounding they were the standard for the rock back then - makes me laugh as I think of our parnents help stacking and roping these on top of station wagons for us to get us to a show.

Soupy219
Patrick Campbell
Patrick@jurysout.com
Feel free to visit me at my band page:
www.jurysout.com

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.
New Member of QRX Mafia Central,IL

Scott Shaw

• http://www.myspace.com/scotts63
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 01:59:54 PM »

I inherited a pair of the old SP-1s from my Dad's nightclub back in the early 80's. I did every school sock hop and fraternity pary around for years. I hauled them around in my Corolla hatch back with 2 Technics turntables, a CS-400,a homemade light bar, and 2 big boxes of albums!

Jason James

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 02:37:55 PM »

Hey thanks for the input guys. I'm still getting more and more calls, people wanting to buy them. So far I have a guy that wants to drive 3 hours (one way) and pay a hundred bucks for them. Sounds crazy to me.

I might just have to hook them up once before I sell them, just for fun.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.