ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lab vs 218 among other questions  (Read 3054 times)

Randall "Btm Fdr" Cook

Lab vs 218 among other questions
« on: August 06, 2010, 08:18:03 PM »

Okay, lots of time searching... I need some direction.

I used double 18 front loaded subs.  I am considering EAW SB1000z.

I am also considering the LAB subs.

Most of my events are bar/club scene.  Singe stacks on each side.  KF650z for tops.  Sometimes stages are "corner" stages.

I also do some outdoor events with two KF650z per side and 4 double 18 cabs lined in front of stage.

Some questions:
What is the crossover frequencies to use between LAB sub and KF650z?
As it's been stated, the LAB performs best in cluster of 4 or more... can a LAB sub compare to 218 in single stack configuration?
Am I correct in my research that a LAB sub is 3 ohm?  So using a PL380 - one side per cabinet in stereo configuration would land about 3000 watts per cabinet, maybe a bit more?
What are the ratings of the LABS as far as watts (continuous/program/peak)?

Other questions to follow...

Thank you in advance.

Art Welter

Re: Lab vs 218 among other questions
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 09:06:24 PM »

Randall Cook wrote on Fri, 06 August 2010 18:18

Some questions:
What is the crossover frequencies to use between LAB sub and KF650z?
As it's been stated, the LAB performs best in cluster of 4 or more... can a LAB sub compare to 218 in single stack configuration?
Am I correct in my research that a LAB sub is 3 ohm?  So using a PL380 - one side per cabinet in stereo configuration would land about 3000 watts per cabinet, maybe a bit more?
What are the ratings of the LABS as far as watts (continuous/program/peak)

Crossover point would be program dependent, but the Lab horn can be crossed fairly high, though it may not sound great crossed high.

The low corner drops as the LABs are used in multiples. A single has a lower corner than many 18" cabs.

The nominal impedance raises in the horn load design, it would be safe to view it as 4 ohms per cabinet.

800 continuous, 1600 program, 3200 peak would be ballpark ratings, again program dependent.

The LabSub is 45 inches deep, the depth can be a problem in some venues, though if you are considering SB 1000 they are deep too.

Matt F Castle

Re: Lab vs 218 among other questions
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 07:28:29 AM »

The one big thing I've picked up from your questions and as Art has already mentioned is the shear size of the Lab.  

Specifically with corner stages you can really notice just how big they are and that you can't "hide" them in the corners.. Your PA ends up very much in yer face (or the third row of the audience some times...).  They are a nice height to stick a mid/hi box on though.

I've had no problems using one cab per side, plenty of omph provided thats a systems size that suits the room. You might get more low end out of some 2x18's but that's likely only an issue with DJ sources, live music I doubt you'd notice really.

Power ratings I would go with the 2 x 400w (800w) figure for safety (read: DJ source..) if you've hours of music playback, balls to the wall, they can get hot.  Live music (dynamic) your best having plenty of clean headroom they seem to love it.  

I've just changed to a PL380 powering mine, seems a good choice with plenty of headroom.

Cheers

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.