ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear projection light blocking  (Read 11649 times)

Ken Freeman

Re: Rear projection light blocking
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 03:40:46 PM »

Can you shoot this from the front?

Ken

Philip Roberts

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 11:58:56 PM »

Ken Freeman wrote on Mon, 16 August 2010 15:40

Ken

The front is even brighter as the area in front is lit for TV.

The powers that be have decided to wait until we can afford the 10k's that should be bright enough with out blocking the light so I guess this has been an exercise in learning.

Philip
Philip Roberts
Director of Media Engineering
Pioneer Memorial Seventh Day Adventist Church
Berrien Springs MI

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 11:04:51 AM »

Philip Roberts wrote on Mon, 16 August 2010 23:58

Ken Freeman wrote on Mon, 16 August 2010 15:40

Ken

The front is even brighter as the area in front is lit for TV.

The powers that be have decided to wait until we can afford the 10k's that should be bright enough with out blocking the light so I guess this has been an exercise in learning.

Philip

I think it is wishful thinking that this can be made to work without blocking the ambient light. Just because a bigger projector can project brighter white, it is the same dark blacks. With high levels of ambient light you will not be able to get real black no matter how bright the projector is, reducing your contrast a lot. With the combination of bright ambient from the rear, and bright stagelight from the front you are losing at both ends. A high gain screen will reduce the amount of reflected front light, but increase the back light, a low gain screen will reduce the back light but increase the front.

Using video projection as scenic elements requires very careful lighting to keep all spill and floor reflections off the screen, and very careful ambient light behind the screen. What you are considering may be a disappointment. That polished wood floor is going to kill your image as quickly as the stained glass windows.

Mac

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 12:04:55 PM »

I am with mac, although won't put it so delicately.

You don't want to do this project with projectors without complete buy-in from leadership.

Buy-in to the level that you basically have cart-blanche in what needs to be done to get this working correctly. That will entail pipe&drape (light control), modification of the stage lighting plots, possible modification of the finish of the stage, etc. This is regardless (and necessary) no matter how large the projectors.

Given those constraints I am lead to believe that doing this project as you current envision is just a Bad Idea. You guys need to either drop the project, get a major leadership thought change, or approach the project from a new direction.

In my (extension) church experience option 3, changing the approach, is usually the best option.

With that in mind:  Build the whole project out of tiled low-profile-bezel LCD's.

Here are two import systems containing both the displays, processing, and available mounting options:

http://www.infocresttech.com/index.php?main=1&sub=0& catt=1&ssub=0&Language=us

http://www.primeview.biz/

Otherwise you can also consider using displays with larger Bezels and integrated tiling software such as those available from NEC, Samsung, or Panasonic (Plasma)

Karl P
TeamLeader.Technical Systems - CCH

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 10:39:49 PM »

Philip Roberts wrote on Mon, 09 August 2010 01:02

Brad Weber wrote on Sun, 08 August 2010 18:35

If you can tell us what you are trying to do then maybe there are some other options to explore.

The seating on the stage is unusual, it just was the most convenient image I could find on the web. The back of the stage will be empty when this is used. Just a band, (2-3 vocals, guitar, bass, misc percussion, piano, no drum set) or a single presenter in front.

The screens will be projecting one wide image, that will be used as a backdrop, I'm guessing mostly kind of abstract stuff. I'm just the tech guy and not the graphics guy. The audience is not expected to have to read off these screens.

Based on light meter measurements of around 100 lux on the back on the screen during the afternoon I calculated that a 10k projector would give about 10:1 contrast, I also mocked up the same brightness with a smaller projector on a fraction of the screen with good results. Program is late morning so that should help a bit also.

Thinking abit more about the pipe and drape: it appears that Rosebrand makes this, who are the other major players who have good prices?

Can you use 1 wide screen, and still use the 3 projectors? Are you blending the three images?
Take care,

Steve

Philip Roberts

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 09:30:41 AM »

I figured I'd give the forum a bit of an update. The project that I thought was dead arose and we've ended up with one projector that we are using for a backdrop.

We ended up getting a 12k Sanyo 4:3 that is working out pretty well for us. We are currently using it with out any light blocking and it's working out acceptable. Pretty much any brighter and the projected image ends up over exposed in the video cameras. I wish we did have better black levels but for how we are using it not having them is not the end of the world, the content people are just having to be careful with what they throw up on it.

You can see what it looks like in the image below.
http://www.andrews.edu/life/spiritual/inreach/opportunities/worship/sub-worship/general/chapel/index.jpg

Thanks

Philip
Philip Roberts
Director of Media Engineering
Pioneer Memorial Seventh Day Adventist Church
Berrien Springs MI
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.