Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Passive x-over in Turbo TXD 252's?

(1/3) > >>

chuck clark:
Ok, I got into my Turbo TXD 252. Someone had shot a little touch-up paint along the edge of the grill and there was some cussing before I finally got it to come loose but finally ..victory!  The good news is the drivers all test good. Whew! My problem is the passive x-over is not passing audio. Doesn't look like it ever overheated,..no discoloration, no visible burn marks, no broken leads on coils or caps. A row of what looks like ceramic resistors still firmly in place. ??? A small green box with 2 1/4" wires sticking out of it got my attention. Tried shorting across it- still nothing. No hi's to the horn, no mids or lows to either 15...nothing.  Double checked test signal  in other spkr. -worked dandy!  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help!
Chuck

Chris Davis:

--- Quote from: chuck clark on March 11, 2011, 05:44:30 PM ---Ok, I got into my Turbo TXD 252. Someone had shot a little touch-up paint along the edge of the grill and there was some cussing before I finally got it to come loose but finally ..victory!  The good news is the drivers all test good. Whew! My problem is the passive x-over is not passing audio. Doesn't look like it ever overheated,..no discoloration, no visible burn marks, no broken leads on coils or caps. A row of what looks like ceramic resistors still firmly in place. ??? A small green box with 2 1/4" wires sticking out of it got my attention. Tried shorting across it- still nothing. No hi's to the horn, no mids or lows to either 15...nothing.  Double checked test signal  in other spkr. -worked dandy!  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help!
Chuck

--- End quote ---

Could the speakon connector be rewired to 2+/- or something along those lines?

chuck clark:
I already tried that, no difference. It has 2  NL-4 input connectors wired in parrallel with hot lead to pin1+ and neg. to pin 1-  standard stuff.
I even tried applying signal straight onto the input solder connects on the board, thus bypassing the nl-4 input connectors and the lead wire from those nl-4's to the crossover itself.
Interestingly, the whole wiring harness appears to route thru a 3rd NL-4 (NL-8? naw, it's the same size. ?? It looks like an Nl-4 but it has a circuit card fastened to the back of it w/ 8 leads!? ) This 3rd NL-4 is used as a Bi-amp input.
Hmm, so much for simple. Dang! where's that easy button?
Hopefully someone with in depth knowledge of these things will see this and throw us a clue!
Chuck

Gus Housen:
Is there a biamp switch? or some kind of internal jumper that fell off?

chuck clark:
No bi-amp switch. Just that 3rd Nl-4 connector for an input if your bi-amping. I'm tempted to try bi-amping  at this point to see if that works. It's a sure way around the passive x-over I guess. That's the wierd part though. The 3rd bi-amp NL-4 has a wiring harness that connects to the passive crossover. ??? Wow.
What the...?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version