ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M7 Multiband Comp  (Read 5151 times)

Robert Sims

M7 Multiband Comp
« on: August 02, 2010, 03:48:44 PM »

Has anyone used the multiband compressor on the V3 M7CL? Did it operate correctly. Mine seems to do the exact opposite of what it should do. It's not the Multiband Dynamics but the compressor I'm referring to.

Robert Sims

Weogo Reed

Re: M7 Multiband Comp
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 12:39:38 AM »

Hi Robert,

If the M7 Multi-Band comp is the same as the one in the 01V96, everytime you roll in a db of gain reduction, it automatically dials in a db of make-up gain.
Not a big problem if you are using it on a channel that is only going to the house mix - just bring the channel fader down a corresponding amount.  I sure wouldn't want to do this on a channel going to monitors.
There are posts here about folks contacting Yamaha about this 'feature', and changing the software to more standard operation.

Good health,  Weogo

Jason Ellis

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 01:26:13 AM »

Iuse two every week - when they are set correctly (bandpass gains at -18) they work great, but the default settings are terrible. The channel eq defaults are the same way, I just approach every default  now as just a mental reminder that it needs to be tweaked...

Frederik Rosenkjær

• http://www.blackburst.dk
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 12:15:08 PM »

Weogo Reed wrote on Tue, 03 August 2010 05:39

Hi Robert,

If the M7 Multi-Band comp is the same as the one in the 01V96,

Not exactly - there are two Yamaha Multi-band programs: "M.BAND.DYNA" and "M.BAND.COMP" (from memory).

The first is available in all Yamaha digiconsoles but the latter only in LS9, M7CL and I think also PM5D.

The latter (the COMP) has individual gain and threshold settings for each band and only auto gain compensation relating to the ratio-knob while the threshold does not alter the gain as it does on the DYNA-program. So the COMP is more tweakable and not as "auto".

I use these as vocal comps religuosly.

Robert Sims

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 04:08:12 PM »

Tell me how you use a multiband compressor with auto gain compensation on vocal or anything?

Robert Sims

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 05:04:34 PM »

Robert Sims wrote on Wed, 04 August 2010 21:08

Tell me how you use a multiband compressor with auto gain compensation on vocal or anything?

What is it with you guys and this comp (?)

It's not that hard. The COMP-version is pretty much manual, once you've set the ratio. The DYNA-version is a bit trickier, but no problem.

I insert it and dial it in. It's not like the auto gain is pumping up and down once setup or anything. In my own LS9 I have an effect preset that I recall and put lead vocals through a buss and slap the comp on there. It only takes a second to adjust the levels so even if you only have 2 minutes of sound check you can do it 2 x 60 = 120 times over. Smile

Some people have seemed to be somewhat in opposition to it, just because it's a little clumsily executed....their loss, I guess - I wouldn't be without it.

Robert Sims

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 06:10:10 PM »

What is it with you guys and non-answers? Smile

If you have multiband compression with automatic gain compensation and lets say you like the fullness on the males vocals but the proximity effect is too much so you dial in some compression in the lower band. Now in relationship to the other bands you have what you want, except...with automatic gain compensation and no ability to control it you're back to the original problem. No gain reduction in the lows.

Sure, there are other ways to tackle that problem but back to the question. How do you use multiband compression with automatic gain compensation? What good is automatic gain compensation in a multiband compressor? If I'm using multiband compression I want compression (ratio reduction) relative to the other bands. In a regular compressor the gain reduction would be across all frequencies.

In the case of the M7 the more it compresses the louder the effected band becomes Or maybe mines just broke?
Robert Sims

Aaron Kovacik

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 10:49:23 PM »

A compressed signal will sound louder than an uncompressed, due to the higher average signal level. In conventional compressors you can choose whether or not to add the gain you take away back in to the mix, but it sounds like on M7 it adds the gain back for you.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 07:55:55 AM »

Robert Sims wrote on Wed, 04 August 2010 23:10

What is it with you guys and non-answers? Smile

If you have multiband compression with automatic gain compensation and lets say you like the fullness on the males vocals but the proximity effect is too much so you dial in some compression in the lower band. Now in relationship to the other bands you have what you want, except...with automatic gain compensation and no ability to control it you're back to the original problem. No gain reduction in the lows.

Oh, I see.

The DYNA program has common threshold knob and common automatic make up gain for all three bands.

The COMP program has separate thresholds and common automatic make up gain, and the make up gain is only controlled by the ratio - and not by that much. So there you still have manual gain controls for each band.

There's never automatic make up gain for one band alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 15 queries.