ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another Kilomax post  (Read 15633 times)

Elliot Thompson

Re: Yet another Kilomax post
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 07:13:06 AM »

Paul Walters wrote on Tue, 03 August 2010 06:09

I'd like to build one if these  http://forum.speakerplans.com/beyma-sb18-building-pics_topic 34250_page8.html
Thoughts on Kilomax compatibility?
If that enclosure won't work are there any small vented box plans I could have? I've been looking through plans today and haven't found a whole lot to my liking.

Hi.

The Killomax 18-inh driver is not designed for small cabinets. If you are looking for an 18-inch driver that will perform very well in a small enclosure, the Eminence Killomax 18 is not for you.

Best Regards,
Elliot

Paul Walters

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 11:40:06 AM »

That's confusing because Beyma has a driver that is very similar to the Kilomax and this enclosure is approved for it.

I'm posting from my iPhone so I can't do a side by side comparison, but I'll post again later with the specs.

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 03:59:32 PM »

Paul Walters wrote on Tue, 03 August 2010 16:40

That's confusing because Beyma has a driver that is very similar to the Kilomax and this enclosure is approved for it.

I'm posting from my iPhone so I can't do a side by side comparison, but I'll post again later with the specs.

Hi.

Beyma offers no driver that commands an enclosure size as the Eminence Killomax 18.

It may be best just to sell the drivers and, buy a pair of eighteens that will offer optimum results in a small cabinet.

I would suggest reading this as well.

http://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=faq1

Best Regards,
Elliot

Douglas R. Allen

• http://-
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 06:59:06 AM »

Hello.

I have a set of the Subcompact 18's that you have. These are loaded with the peavey drivers. Response is the same as peavey list in the manual. Not allot below 47hz with the box tuning the way it is. I run a bridged cs800s into each box. Or 800 watts available. Not a bad box for the size. Not a thump you in the gut box but pretty good bass for the size. Light/easy to move.

index.php/fa/31817/0/

Above is one compared to a QSC hpr sub. (EDIT: The peaveys are the lighter trace)If you unload them let me know what you may want for the boxes. I have been thinking of getting another set.

Douglas R. Allen
Allen Audio

"The worst thing is."
"You can't teach common sense."

Paul Walters

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 12:45:24 AM »

Ok so I think I've settled on the medium vented box for a single Kilomax at this point. Eminence has cab designs on their web site and the medium box has the best combination of spl and frequency response for me. However, they don't have any plans for this enclosure anywhere that I could find, just specifications.

I have spent two days combing the internet for vented box plans and I'm getting fairly desperate. I've found tons on scoops, horns, and bandpass enclosures on sites like freespeakerplans.com and speakerplans.com. Horn loaded subs would be great if I had the right drivers and carpentry skills for producing them (in the amount needed to make them sound beautiful, 4+ cabs) but I don't.

This will be my first build and I really just need something basic. A front loaded single 18 medium vented box, from Eminence:
"KiloMaxPro 18A Med Vented Subwoofer
By Jerry McNutt, Eminence Speaker LLC Limit to 700 Watts; F3 of 37 Hz.   Use a steep high pass filter set to 35 Hz to protect your woofer.   Place ports symmetrically about woofer.

Box Properties
--Description--
Name: Type: Vented Box Shape: Prism, square (optimum)   6
--Box Parameters--
Vb = 7 cu.ft
V(total) = 7.59 cu.ft   
Fb = 38 Hz
QL = 7
F3 = 37.96 Hz   
Fill = minimal
--Vents-- No. of Vents = 4
Vent shape = round
Vent ends = one flush
Dv =   4 in
Lv =   8.282 in"

If any of you guys know of any plans for an enclosure similar to this can you post them? I'd be extremely grateful.

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 08:19:37 AM »

Paul Walters wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 05:45

Ok so I think I've settled on the medium vented box for a single Kilomax at this point. Eminence has cab designs on their web site and the medium box has the best combination of spl and frequency response for me. However, they don't have any plans for this enclosure anywhere that I could find, just specifications.

I have spent two days combing the internet for vented box plans and I'm getting fairly desperate. I've found tons on scoops, horns, and bandpass enclosures on sites like freespeakerplans.com and speakerplans.com. Horn loaded subs would be great if I had the right drivers and carpentry skills for producing them (in the amount needed to make them sound beautiful, 4+ cabs) but I don't.

This will be my first build and I really just need something basic. A front loaded single 18 medium vented box, from Eminence:
By Jerry McNutt, Eminence Speaker LLC Limit to 700 Watts; F3 of 37 Hz.   Use a steep high pass filter set to 35 Hz to protect your woofer.   Place ports symmetrically about woofer.

Box Properties
--Description--
--Box Parameters--
Vb = 7 cu.ft
V(total) = 7.59 cu.ft   
Fb = 38 Hz
QL = 7
F3 = 37.96 Hz   
Fill = minimal
Vent shape = round
Vent ends = one flush
Dv =   4 in
Lv =   8.282 in"

If any of you guys know of any plans for an enclosure similar to this can you post them? I'd be extremely grateful.

Hi.

You have all the vital parameters. All you need to do is build a cabinet that offers a total of 7.59 cubic feet.

The reason there are no plans available is due to giving the user the option to design it how he/she desires.

You can make it very tall and, shallow, short and deep, or somewhere in between. The only thing you need to make sure is the cabinet’s outer dimensions equate to 7.59 cubic feet.

Download WinISD Pro scale a 7.59 cubic foot enclosure and, manipulate the dimensions to your requirements. Eminence has already taken care of the math. All you need to is scale the cabinet to your requirements, and make sure the total outer dimensions equate to 7.59 cubic feet.

Best Regards,

Elliot

Art Welter

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 11:18:24 AM »

Elliot Thompson wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 06:19

Paul Walters wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 05:45

Box Properties
--Description--
--Box Parameters--
Vb = 7 cu.ft
V(total) = 7.59 cu.ft   
Fb = 38 Hz
QL = 7
F3 = 37.96 Hz   
Fill = minimal
Vent shape = round
Vent ends = one flush
Dv =   4 in
Lv =   8.282 in"

Hi.

You have all the vital parameters. All you need to do is build a cabinet that offers a total of 7.59 cubic feet.

The reason there are no plans available is due to giving the user the option to design it how he/she desires.

You can make it very tall and, shallow, short and deep, or somewhere in between. The only thing you need to make sure is the cabinet’s outer dimensions equate to 7.59 cubic feet.

Download WinISD Pro scale a 7.59 cubic foot enclosure and, manipulate the dimensions to your requirements. Eminence has already taken care of the math. All you need to is scale the cabinet to your requirements, and make sure the total outer dimensions equate to 7.59 cubic feet.

Best Regards,

V(total) is the total volume of the interior, not the exterior of the box.
The Vb is the volume of the box less the volume the ports and speaker take up in the box.
When using large ports, the port volume may be significant.
Front loading or rear loading speakers also makes a difference in the internal volume, so should be specified.

Wall thickness, recesses on the front panel for a grill frame, handles, bracing will make the box gross dimensions larger than V(total).

When designing portable boxes it is a good idea to make dimensions integers of truck box size.
Common straight trucks have 90 inch interiors, so 22.5, 30, and 45 inches are good to use.
Wide semi trailers will take 96 inches width, so having a 24, 32, or 48 inch dimension mixed with the 90 inch integers allows dense truck pack in either.

Phillip_Graham

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 12:38:06 PM »

Art Welter wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 11:18

The Vb is the volume of the box less the volume the ports and speaker take up in the box.
When using large ports, the port volume may be significant.
Front loading or rear loading speakers also makes a difference in the internal volume, so should be specified.

Wall thickness, recesses on the front panel for a grill frame, handles, bracing will make the box gross dimensions larger than V(total).

When designing portable boxes it is a good idea to make dimensions integers of truck box size.
Common straight trucks have 90 inch interiors, so 22.5, 30, and 45 inches are good to use.
Wide semi trailers will take 96 inches width, so having a 24, 32, or 48 inch dimension mixed with the 90 inch integers allows dense truck pack in either.

+1 to Art's excellent summary and clarification.

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 05:42:58 PM »

Art Welter wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 16:18

I stand corrected.

The parameters are directly from Eminence Designer which is a lite version of Bass Box Pro so, Paul need not worry about any perfomance issues with the design.  Cool

Best Regards,
Elliot

Art Welter

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 07:34:43 PM »

Elliot Thompson wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 15:42

Art Welter wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 16:18

I stand corrected.

The parameters are directly from Eminence Designer which is a lite version of Bass Box Pro so, Paul need not worry about any perfomance issues with the design.  Cool

Best Regards,

On big boxes, the difference between V(total)and the gross exterior dimensions is not much, but on small cabinets the percentage can be pretty high, on a small mid bass ported cabinet the volume taken by the speaker, wood, port, and handles may exceed Vb.

After having some ports end up tuning the box differently than "the plan" said, I now initially make them longer than the plan says, then test the Fb, and shorten as needed.
It is a lot harder to make them longer Crying or Very Sad ...

Art Welter
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.