ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Video switcher/scaler w/ contact closure control...  (Read 8557 times)

Adam Kane

Video switcher/scaler w/ contact closure control...
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:49:18 AM »

Hello,

Looking for a video switcher/scaler that can have the inputs switched via contact closures. Inputs will need to be VGA, s-video, composite, component (if possible) with VGA output. Nothing else fancy required (fade-thru-black would be nice, but definitely not necessary).

Or, a comparatively inexpensive way to do this without going the Crestron/AMX approach...the budget won't allow it.

I've tried searching different manufacturers (Kramer and Extron are the two we use the most frequently) but I've yet to see what I'm looking for...or I've missed it.

If this can't be done within their budget, than so be it...I don't want to cobble crap together just to get the job.

Thanks in advance.

Ken Freeman

Re: Video switcher/scaler w/ contact closure control...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:13:10 AM »

Extron 1508.  Runs 232 or via IR, which you can extend.

Ken

Kellen Tyburski

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 12:47:06 PM »

Hey guys,

Just out of curiosity because I have never heard some of these terms used before.

So you want to use a contact enclosure to do the switching. I assume this allow's remote switching - but I'm unclear on what a "contact enclosure" is.

Upgrade my knowledge please? Smile

Brad Weber

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 05:05:31 PM »

Kellen Tyburski wrote on Fri, 30 July 2010 12:47

Just out of curiosity because I have never heard some of these terms used before.

So you want to use a contact enclosure to do the switching. I assume this allow's remote switching - but I'm unclear on what a "contact enclosure" is.

A dry contact closure is a simple electrical make/break connection, usually a relay or switch.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Adam Kane

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »

Brad Weber wrote on Fri, 30 July 2010 17:05

Kellen Tyburski wrote on Fri, 30 July 2010 12:47

A dry contact closure is a simple electrical make/break connection, usually a relay or switch.

Yes...closure...not ENclosure.

In this case, they have an external device which provides dry closures for different room uses/configurations. They want to be able to have the video source switched by that. The Extron unit that Ken linked to is very similar to a Kramer switcher/scaler I use frequently, but RS232 is out of the question as there's nothing else in the system that uses that.

This is supposed to be a low budget system and I was hoping to find something similar to many audio DSP's that can be set up to recall presets/snapshots via contact closure, but I'm not having any luck finding something that doesn't require some sort of outboard piece of gear.

In the end, if it can't be done for what they want to spend on the project, I'll tell them it can't be done and move on.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 05:46:07 PM »

I am working on a system as we speak that does exactly that. The switcher is an Extron unit with contact closure swithing via a DB25 port. It also has 5 volt tally outs on the same connector. Will that fill the bill for you?

Adam Kane

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 07:19:36 PM »

I'm interested. Model number?

Thanks.

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 07:45:16 PM »

Hall Research has a number of contact closure to RS232 interfaces, if you don't mind a 2-box approach.

http://www.hallresearch.com

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 11:56:10 AM »

This is an SW4 VGA. There newer models have RS232 but some with a contact closure to ground are still in inventory. They have a series of thse with 4,6,8 inputs, audio follow video etc.
The DB 25 connector has a switch leg for each channel and when closed momentarily to ground selects the channel. There is a correspondig 5 v tally signal on a separate pinout for each channel.

I used this quite successfully on the older System 8 switcher for the MACworld shows several years ago. I buily 8 controllers that did this switching and incorporated 8 channels of stereo selection audio control in the same device, all outputting to LOz balanced mic level outs.

Ray Cerwinski

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 01:17:23 AM »

Give this a shot. Pair it with the Kramer model of your choice.

http://www.kramerelectronics.com/products/model.asp?pid=536
Ray Cerwinski

Fennelli Design Group
www.eventfx.com
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.