ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Festival Matrix Options...... Advice  (Read 14244 times)

Chris Tate

• http://www.collegehill.co.nz
Festival Matrix Options...... Advice
« on: July 27, 2010, 09:56:46 PM »

Hello Fellow Labsters,

I'm looking into Festival Matrix options for our up coming summer season and was wondering if anyone knows of something off the shelf that is capable of providing 8 AES outputs as well as a combination of AES and analogue inputs.

Traditionally we have used Midas XL88's but with the proliferation of mainly digital consoles lately and the fact that we run DLP's over our systems, a digital solution makes sense to me.

It would be fantastic if the unit was a minimum of 8 x 8 like the XL88, but with a choice of analogue or AES for each input. outputs could all be AES.....though it would be nice if there were a couple of analogue outs as well....

I've looked through a few threads and found people using Ashly etc. I'm pretty sure I'm looking for something that's not quite what anyone makes at present although a few are close..... I'm sure there are units designed for broadcast work, but I really think that they would be a bit over the top i/o wise.

Any suggestions and advice would be fantastic

Cheers:)

Dustin Reynolds

• http://MainStream-Productions.com
Re: Festival Matrix Options...... Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 11:00:48 PM »

I see a ton of companies using the Dolby Lake Processor.  I'm not totally up on the different configurations but I believe it has 8 AES IN/OUTS and a combination of 4 analog card slots with 4 IN or OUTs on each slot.

Very flexible piece of equipment.

db-

Chris Tate

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 11:27:43 PM »

Hey thanks Dustin,

The DLP would be a nice easy solution but the main problem with using fully carded DLP's is that they aren't manufactured any more and I'm a bit loathed to go down the LG-Lake route as it would involve multiple units and Dante. I guess this could end up being the answer, but I'd really love to find a simple one box solution:)

A Man

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 11:42:12 PM »

Chris Tate

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:08:19 AM »

Thanks Jon,

I'm looking over that info now Smile

Curt Sorensen

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 12:14:38 AM »

Hi,
Not sure when you say eight AES whether you want eight legs of audio, or sixteen. It may be more than you want, but Metric Halos' ULN8 or LIO8 might be worth considering. Add the Network Sound IO panel for xlr's.
Curt Sorensen
What Studio

David Buehler

• http://www.audioexcellence4u.com
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 12:36:28 AM »

You could go the route with a D-show ala how robert scovil describes in one of the Digi Webinars

D-Show FOH Rack using a Tablet PC to control it, leaving the Stage rack and surface at the shop.

To pull this off you need:
1 FOH Rack with 1 I/Ox expansion Card and 2-3 DSP cards

Additionally you could achieve more inputs using the MADI card, with and a RME ADI-6432 AES to Madi Converter

This gives you a theoretical 18 analog + 5 AES pairs Inputs and 22 Analog outputs and 5 AES pairs output...

Additionally you could achieve more inputs using the MADI card, with and a RME ADI-6432 AES to Madi Converter which could yeild 18 analog + 37 AES pairs and the 22 Analog outputs and 37 AES Pair outputs.. If you're just using the DLPs for system zoning and EQing, and not crossovers, you could even eliminate using it in the signal chain.

If so, couple this with the Digital Snake and a Stage rack onstage, and you can handle the AES and analog output to the stage right upto your amp racks.

A similar solution could be configured using a mixrack system too.
David Buehler
Production & Systems Manager
Audio Excellence
New Mexico's Premire Event Production Company
Audio - Video - Backline - Lighting - Staging & Roofs - Barricade - Crewing - Production Management & Design

Chris Tate

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 12:46:34 AM »

Hey Curt, just looking for 4 pairs..... like a straight drop in for an XL88 but digital:) but also with an analogue option so I'll look into the Metric Halo thing....

I'd never heard of Broadcast devices before, but the kit on their page looks like it could be just the ticket!

That's what I love about this place!!

For the record, the festival set-ups we do over here are dual stage, 3 hang systems + infill etc...

10 x 10 would really be the ultimate but we get by with 8 x 8...

Thanks heaps for the replies so far, much appreciated  

Antti Rintamaki

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 11:48:43 AM »

How about Yamaha DME24 or 64?

AnttiR

Ken Freeman

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 12:19:17 PM »

We have been using a DBX 4800 and an XL-88 along with a small AES broadcast router. In the typical 4 way drive (L+R+Subs+Front Fills) this allows up to get two analog and two digital solutions on line at the same time. I do put a 1/3 octave in line with the analog drive so that each engineer can EQ to suit.  For the digital, we use the second set of EQ's in the 4800.  This is built mostly with existing resources, so might look a little different if we started from scratch.  We are thinking that a couple of BSS Londons will be a good solution for the next go around along with the fiber drive.  next year.

Ken

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 12:19:17 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.