ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: $20K to spend on lights... suggestions?  (Read 7907 times)

Jeff Lelko

Re: $20K to spend on lights... suggestions?
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 09:53:05 PM »

I happen to really like MagicQ and really hate LightJockey.  I've used MagicQ on my tablet PC for the past four or five years and have nothing but good things to say about it.  The one 'however' I'd add though is that for shows using conventional Par 64s, I still use a simple 2-scene preset board.  I leave MagicQ for my movers, but won't give up hands-on control of my conventionals nor pay the $1000+ for a wing.  I think for your use you might want to consult your primary light designer/programmer/operator to see if he/she has an opinion about hardware vs software consoles and see what'd they'd be most comfortable using.

-Jeff

JohnRoss

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 12:52:59 PM »

Robert "Void" Caprio wrote on Wed, 28 July 2010 07:10

JohnRoss wrote on Wed, 28 July 2010 06:10

You should really look into Lightjockey with a touch screen and stay away from Chamsys.

JR,

OK... why is that? Any particular recommendations for a touch screen?

I can program in LJ faster than anything else, but I use it everyday so that might not matter. In any case you'll figure it out the second you look at it, and if you have an LED rig LED-Trix is probably the coolest way to control LEDs I've ever seen. Creating your looks in cues and triggering them from LJ Manager is super fast and if you can't run your show anybody with a finger can hit cues. You also get to use Maxxyz free if you have the USB dongle, so you could simply use it as a Maxxyz PC. For a touchscreen the ELOs are the best, I'd look for 20-22".

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 05:18:27 PM »

JohnRoss wrote on Thu, 29 July 2010 12:52

I can program in LJ faster than anything else, but I use it everyday so that might not matter. In any case you'll figure it out the second you look at it, and if you have an LED rig LED-Trix is probably the coolest way to control LEDs I've ever seen. Creating your looks in cues and triggering them from LJ Manager is super fast and if you can't run your show anybody with a finger can hit cues. You also get to use Maxxyz free if you have the USB dongle, so you could simply use it as a Maxxyz PC. For a touchscreen the ELOs are the best, I'd look for 20-22".
things chamsys can do that lj can't;
1. Built in media server...led matrices are great but can you run video? Not without some extra $$ involved
2. Meet riders!!! No (or very few) touring lds will run lj
3. Run without lag and/or crashing
4. Not make me want to throw it out the window

Just because you don't know how to program it does not mean it's a bad console. It's in the same leauge as grandma and hog

Plus without a wing lj should be reserved for lds who don't know how to do anything more than dj night club lights. If I can't hit 4-6 cues at the same time the console is garbage, period.
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 06:23:55 PM »

I agree with Jeff, allow your LD to have some (but not final) input on control system, as the best system in the world sucks if the operator can't work with it.

10% of your budget will probably be about right for a control system. I'm not a Lightjockey fan myself, and I have no experience with Chamsys, but I would avoid the "DJ" and entry-level packages if you go for software. The package offered by Megalite impressed me at NC&B, but I have no real-world experience with it. Bluelight was a disappointment, and the Elation and Chauvet programs just seemed too limited for a live venue.

Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

JohnRoss

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 02:20:31 PM »

Well a few weeks ago I got to see the Chamsys PC Wing running on a Mac Mini with two ELO touchscreens and somehow already became a convert. Now I'm running it too with the Enttec DMX Pro, and I'm planning on buying the Maxi Wing next. Not sure if its going to really deter me from buying the M1, but I know the GrandMa 2 is the only way to go big and this is a nice stepping stone to learning how to program it.

David Buehler

• http://www.audioexcellence4u.com
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 01:30:26 AM »

our Lighting guys have a bunch of Chamsys desks, and sold some of the first desks in the nation. They have a few "wing" rigs setup with Asus EEE Top computer and the USB fader wing.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=2041804
David Buehler
Production & Systems Manager
Audio Excellence
New Mexico's Premire Event Production Company
Audio - Video - Backline - Lighting - Staging & Roofs - Barricade - Crewing - Production Management & Design

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 18 queries.