ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ilive "T" or Digi SC48, which to choose?  (Read 7421 times)

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
Re: Ilive "T" or Digi SC48, which to choose?
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 01:02:25 AM »

Posted in the lounge.

"T"

End of discussion.
Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Christian Tepfer

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 03:24:18 AM »

Randy Pence wrote on Fri, 23 July 2010 00:16

Sorry, your german choice is not so clear to me.  Is there significant interest for ilives here?  

In Germany I can easily cross-rent iLive's at any corner as of 2010, a growing number of BE's knows the desk and accepts it.
I can chose different surfaces and don't have to worry about show files, dsp power etc. They are just working, only the fader count is different.
There is a number of AVID consoles here but they are on tour with bands mostly and hard to rent. Numbers are growing though, mostly Profile's. I've never seen a SC48 in the wild here, maybe because of the lack of a digital multicore, desks like this are hard to sell in Germany with gas prices and strict driver's regulation laws. So truck space and weight limits are very big issues.

Randy Pence

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 06:22:01 AM »

Interesting.  As far as I know, only one Berlin company has an ilive-t, and it is usually on tour.  Of course, other companies can swing through.  Aside from yamaha, I have mostly seen digico surfaces, but I don't get out enough.

Christian Tepfer

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 06:38:02 AM »

Hamburg is packed with iLive's. I can get all small surfaces (up to T112) and mixracks (up to iDR48) here.

Brad Weber

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »

Jeff Babcock wrote on Thu, 22 July 2010 17:45

A warning, once you spend a lot of time on the Avid desks and get used to the tremendous amount of processing choices (plugins), it's difficult to go back.

I'm curious as to how people deal with the plug-in aspect when there is no one primary user.  Do you expect every operator to have their own iLok key to access their desired plug-ins?  In a rental, is the console provided with specific plug-ins or are plug-ins sort of a la carte or user provided?  Do BEs expect certain plug-ins to be available?  When you advance a show does the console provider identify what plug-ins will be available?
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Scott Helmke (Scodiddly)

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 08:27:44 AM »

Rob Spence wrote on Thu, 22 July 2010 18:37

Paul Lea wrote on Thu, 22 July 2010 14:28

I hate lifting anything to heavy, that the only thing keeping me from buying your Genie lifts. Smile

One other question, anyone have any experience with the RSS mixers as far as general use?  I am thinking it would be a good A&H GL replacement.

No experience with the RSS but I replaced my GL with an LS9-32 and am very happy. If I had a bit more larger work I would buy an I-live T for sure and leave the bulky snake at home.

Oh yeah - if you asked me "RSS or LS9?", I'd go LS9 most of the time.  On the other hand I've taken the RSS (aka the V-Mix) on a couple shows where I would have taken an LS9-32 but wanted the digital snake.  No really serious complaints, I'm just faster on the LS9.

Scott Helmke (Scodiddly)

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 08:31:16 AM »

Brad Weber wrote on Fri, 23 July 2010 06:42

A warning, once you spend a lot of time on the Avid desks and get used to the tremendous amount of processing choices (plugins), it's difficult to go back.

I'm curious as to how people deal with the plug-in aspect when there is no one primary user.  Do you expect every operator to have their own iLok key to access their desired plug-ins?  In a rental, is the console provided with specific plug-ins or are plug-ins sort of a la carte or user provided?  Do BEs expect certain plug-ins to be available?  When you advance a show does the console provider identify what plug-ins will be available?

We dry rent a couple of the Avid/Digi/D-Show/Venue systems quite often.  The answer to your question varies wildly.  Some BE's are surprised when not all consoles are loaded the same, even amount of DSP installed can vary.  Others carry their necessary plugs with an iLok, still others at least advance to try to get their favorites.  And a decent number just say "patch in some other reverb there if you don't have ReverboratorLX+Pro"

Oh, and the amount of installed DSP can vary in the bigger systems.  That adds to the fun, since the DSP ("Mix engine") cards are a real hassle to swap around.  

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 10:46:54 AM »

Brad Weber wrote on Fri, 23 July 2010 07:42

On a tour this is a non issue, but for festival situations or one-offs the BE will usually advance and ask what plugins are available.  

The SC48 has its own iLok (in a secure side compartment) which you typically just leave there for whatever plugins you own.  BE's can bring their own iLok if they have extra plugins they require.  Have never had a problem with this so far.  

The biggest thing is that the default plugin bundle for the SC48 doesn't have quite as many plugs as the Profile & DShow bundles. So for example people bringing their Profile based showfile might need to find a substitute for a few plugins depending on the ones they use.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.