ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor dB Drop and Popping Noise  (Read 4425 times)

Haig Tellalian

Monitor dB Drop and Popping Noise
« on: July 19, 2010, 11:43:43 AM »

The dB output of our monitors would drop and we would get loud popping sounds when we would attempt to boost the output.  It was such a problem that we abandoned the monitors and used just the mains for the show.  Any ideas what could have happened?

OUR SETUP
PA: Yamaha emx512sc
Main Speakers: Two Yamaha S115V
Power Conditioner: Furman PL Plus Series II
Monitors: Three Behringer B212A Powered
19 Channel Snake
Inputs:
Three SM58
Two SM57
One Acoustic Guitar>Direct Box
Two Condenser Mics for Drum Kit with Separate Phantom Power

All was plugged into power conditioner except for Phantom Power Box.

We were using two household outlets, one for the power conditioner and the other was for the guitar and bass amps.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Silas Pradetto

Re: Monitor dB Drop and Popping Noise
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 11:46:26 AM »

Two outlets doesn't mean two circuits, and in your situation it probably wouldn't matter anyway.

I'm guessing your (low quality) powered monitors were overheating or limiting, or if they're lacking limiting, possibly exploding due to being overdriven.

There is a point all speakers reach where they just won't get any louder. For some speakers, that point is not loud enough to be much use to anyone.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 12:48:53 PM »

What signals were being sent to the monitors?

The popping sound could happen for a couple of different reasons, but if you were just turning up the sends I'd say that over-excursion of the LF speaker is a likely culprit.  They were "bottoming out" when the voice coil former was hitting the back plate of the pole piece.

The reduction in level was probably the protection circuit kicking in or the internal amp was overheating.

Are these new, as in you've not used them in this situation/band/venue/music style before or is this a new problem with gear you've been using for a while?
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Haig Tellalian

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 01:36:52 PM »

Tim and Silas, thanks fo the feedback.

Tim, here are the answers to your questions...

1. Signals send to monitors (4 voice, 1 acoustic guitar)
2. Monitors two years old, we gig 4-6 times a year at different venues.  We've monitored all this before at other venues, including this same venue last year, except with 3 voice and 1 acoustic guitar.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 01:38:43 PM »

If the monitors have been previously satisfactory, what has changed?
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Haig Tellalian

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 05:28:36 PM »

Hi Tim,
I noticed something else.  At the gig, the power level hovered at 110 the whole time.  I usually see power at 120v.  Could that have contributed to my issue?
Haig

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 05:30:55 PM »

Haig Tellalian wrote on Thu, 22 July 2010 17:28

Hi Tim,
I noticed something else.  At the gig, the power level hovered at 110 the whole time.  I usually see power at 120v.  Could that have contributed to my issue?
Haig

If it didn't dip below 110 then that wouldn't have been an issue.

Brian Jojade

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 06:02:14 PM »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Thu, 22 July 2010 16:30

Haig Tellalian wrote on Thu, 22 July 2010 17:28

Hi Tim,
Haig

If it didn't dip below 110 then that wouldn't have been an issue.

I would disagree with that.  Without knowing the gear in question, the difference in available power at 120 volts may be quite noticeable at 110 volts.  High end gear usually would be o.k, but B* speakers aren't necessarily known for their robust behavior in rough environments.  The 110 volts may have been dipping on your bass beats starving the speakers of the power they wanted, thus resulting in dismal performance.
---------------------------------------------
Brian Jojade
HappyMac Digital Electronics

http://www.happymacshop.com

---------------------------------------------

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 06:18:20 PM »

Haig Tellalian wrote on Thu, 22 July 2010 16:28

Hi Tim,
Haig

Contributed?  Possibly, but it's hard to say.  Generally I'd agree with Silas that it *shouldn't* be of consequence, but diagnosing via internet isn't a precise science.

Your best bet will be to try an recreate the failure in a controlled (non-gig) environment.

There doesn't seem to be an over-abundance of LF content, but I don't have any experience with your band or gear.

If it has all worked without issues before, you need to figure out what changes, settings, venue, power cords, ambient temperature... anything that is exceptional to the normal, expected results you've received.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

john sanders

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »

From my experience not enough voltage.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.