ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building Portable Drum Riser  (Read 22610 times)

Matt Martin

Re: Building Portable Drum Riser
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 10:35:07 PM »

Terry Martin wrote on Thu, 08 July 2010 13:31

I use 3/4" ply hinged to form a 6' x 8' platform.  This sets on 3 sections of triangle truss.  Been doing it for years with no problems.  I don't rent it out, but wouldn't mind if I was doing the show.

Its a little shy of 12" high, but works well.  

I use a drape around front and sides.  

Can you post any pics of this?

Steven Leonard

• http://www.sandsproductionsgroup.com
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 11:46:18 PM »

yes I'd like to see a pic too!!! Sounds cool!
Sands Productions
http://Sandsproductionsgroup.com
Orlando, Fl
The Leonard Brothers Band
www.leonardbrothers.com
www.orlandomusicpros.com

Terry Martin

• http://www.SixtyFourEast.com
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 07:35:51 AM »

I don't have any pics available of just the riser.  You can go to SixtyFourEast.com and go to the videos section and see it in action.  

However, its not going to show you much about the riser - other than the fact that it didn't dump my a$$ during the show.  

Its really as simple as it sounds.  I started with (2) 4x8 sheets of plywood. Crosscut them to 4x6. Added (3) hinges to form an 8' wide by 6' deep "bed". I then place (3) 6' sections of tri-truss, evenly spaced, in the W direction under the "bed".  Actually, you place the truss first, then the "bed".  

It doesn't strap, bolt, lash together at all.  it doesn't move once its loaded with gear.  I feel safe on it.  

I also cut the front corners off to prevent shin damage on small stages, as well as cut hand/grip holes in the plywood to enable easier manuevering from trailer to venue.

Terry

Matt Martin wrote on Thu, 08 July 2010 22:35

Terry Martin wrote on Thu, 08 July 2010 13:31

I use 3/4" ply hinged to form a 6' x 8' platform.  This sets on 3 sections of triangle truss.  Been doing it for years with no problems.  I don't rent it out, but wouldn't mind if I was doing the show.

Its a little shy of 12" high, but works well.  

I use a drape around front and sides.  

Can you post any pics of this?

Martin Performance Enterprises, LLC
Live Audio, Lighting - Rentals, Sales, Installs
Henderson, KY
--------------------

E. Lee Dickinson

• http://www.leedickinson.com
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 10:17:33 AM »

We do basically the same thing - simple platforms resting on truss. Either 12" triangle truss or 16" box truss, depending on the size of the stage.
E. Lee Dickinson
Advanced Visual Production Inc.
sound - lighting - video - design
www.avpric.com

Gary Perrett

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 01:10:47 PM »

I've built a couple, a corner one for those ghastly corner stages and a rectangular one for the rest. The top is ply that is hinged and carpeted for both. The bottom is cut from 1/2" ply that is the height you want it and then mitered to interlock. There are 4 sides that have metal corners (farm tailgate type available @ hardware stores) and 2 interlocking cross pieces that tie the bottom together. The platform is smaller than the top but the cross braces go all the way to the outside edge..(are tapered back to the bottom to help keep from tripping on them) this is important because I added small blocks that lock the top to these extensions. This makes for a very rigid platform that does not have any instability in the top. I did add a small piece that slips in the space under the drummers throne that keeps it from bouncing.

This all stores as a stack of ply about 8" tall by 6'-8' long by however wide. I also cut in holes for a sound activated light (the Fearsome foursome Laughing like the avenger fixture and fog...pretty impressive with the lights and fog Very Happy
G
We the few who have done so much, for so long, with so little, now feel we can do everything with nothing...

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.