ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Building Portable Drum Riser  (Read 22608 times)

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

Re: Building Portable Drum Riser
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 02:14:19 AM »

Dave, all I saw in that thread was a flat bed trailer (no), and pallets (not something thats real mobile or small to store in my trailer)....
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Eric Baker

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 06:14:10 AM »

http://metalkraft.com/
And some Plywood.

Ron Kimball

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 09:50:18 AM »

Benjamin (BJ) Fisher wrote on Thu, 08 July 2010 05:43

I really dont want to or feel safe using 5 gallon buckets. Just doesnt seem like it'd be secure enough.
safer than cheapie furniture legs I'd think? Anyways here's an 8x8 based on that:
  http://www.ehow.com/how_5799152_build-portable-drum-riser.ht ml
You're certainly not gonna do it cheaper or easier Cool .

EDIT> Looks suspiciously like a ProRiser, doesn't it Wink :
http://proriser.com/How_It_Works.html

Callan Carnahan

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 10:39:55 AM »

Ben, we built a riser a few years back to take to our own band's shows, but we didn't rent it out to others - much like your situation. We used 2 4x8 sheets of plywood, industrial carpet (just your typical blue-pattern berber carpet), and some 2x4's around to make a rudimentary frame. At first, we got about 40 milk cartons, put it up on those (it was surprisingly sturdy) and hung a curtain around it so no one could tell how shoddy it was  Cool after that, a buddy of ours who scraps metal found collapsible stage pieces that were shot to hell (from and old high school or something), but we took the legs and bolted those on. Still sittin' in the trailer! We haven't used it in a while, but the collapsible legs really do help. I'd never rent the thing to anyone, though. Look into getting some from that link that Eric posted.
Callan Carnahan

Mike McNany

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 10:41:43 AM »

The fold flat waterbed style riser plan site is gone, just tried it. Basically, here's what you do:

1. Use 2 sheets of 5/8" plywood for the top, hinge them together.

2. Get boards in the width you desire for height. Cut them to the size needed for your platform size (maybe a little under)

3. Attach the adjoining sides in two diagonally OPPOSITE corners so there are two 2 piece folding boards. Attach the other two opposing corners with hinges but buy or make L shaped pull out hinge pins for those.

4. So far you have an unsupported box. Now for the supports. Take boards of the same width as the sides, cut them into approximately 4 foot lengths. Now cut a slot the depth of the board half way though it at it's center. Two of these make an X when slotted together and make for a very firm internal support. You will probably want at least 2 X's under the platform.

The weight of the drums should hold everything together but you could get fancier and add stop strips to the plaform bottom that the frame sets into. You can glue carpet to it and you can cut hand holds near the platform's edge for lifting it up.

A simple design that works and packs well for under $100 in materials.

Mike McNany

Jay Summers

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 11:21:06 AM »

I can co-sign on the bucket riser. I built one and use it every weekend (I'm a drummer).

I started looking at Pro Riser and thought that it was essentially the same concept as the bucket riser so I got two pieces of 1/2 inch plywood and put them together with big hinges. Got some aluminum channel to put around the edge of the wood (didn't like the sharp wood edges), and 9 buckets. I throw a huge black banquet table cloth over it and it looks totally legit.

I've been using it for over a year and it's performed well. People freak out when I'm tearing down and they see I've been sitting on buckets all night.

All of that is to say, if you're going to rent out a riser, I would make it a true professional riser. If a client ever fell off and got hurt, it wouldn't matter what actually caused it, they'd blame it on the buckets.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 12:12:15 PM »

Keep your eye out for "Mitchell" risers or stage platforms.  You might remember them from highschool band... Heavy as they can be, sturdy, and recognized as being fit for the job they do.  They come in 8" height increments.  Many schools and municipal facilities are replacing old Mitchell risers with Wenger VersaLite; you might find these in local government surplus auctions.

"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Matt Martin

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 01:55:19 PM »

I built a drum riser for me a couple of years ago. If you could get access to some power tools  some 2x8 pine boards, and vantech flooring do some wonder for a sturdy riser. I made mine with door hinges in the corners that way it can be taken all apart. This will be heavy as hell, but won't fall apart.

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 02:06:01 PM »

Thanks for the options guys. I will come up with something light and portable. Good ideas!
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Terry Martin

• http://www.SixtyFourEast.com
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 02:31:17 PM »

I use 3/4" ply hinged to form a 6' x 8' platform.  This sets on 3 sections of triangle truss.  Been doing it for years with no problems.  I don't rent it out, but wouldn't mind if I was doing the show.

Its a little shy of 12" high, but works well.  

I use a drape around front and sides.  
Martin Performance Enterprises, LLC
Live Audio, Lighting - Rentals, Sales, Installs
Henderson, KY
--------------------
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 16 queries.