ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on QSC PL6.0 PFC  (Read 5037 times)

Phil Lewandowski

Re: Opinions on QSC PL6.0 PFC
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 10:36:46 PM »

Hey Ronnie,

Just throwing something out there, I know you mentioned "limited hard".  And that rings a bell from Bill F, and I see the DR260's you are using, and I know that Bill recommends pretty aggressive limiter settings, especially when mentioning horn subs.

One thing that you might be running into is you might be limiting the UCS1's so hard and when you start running into the limiter and keep pushing it the average "heating" power going to the subs is raised and you end up frying voice coils that way.

So I guess, what voltage are you limiting the UCS1's at?

Also what kind of material is this used for? Playback, live music etc?  Also, what size crowds?

From what I see I would get use an amp capable for around 1000 watts to each UCS1, with *No* hard limiting.  Just keep the amp out of hard clipping and you should be fine.  Yorkville is pretty conservative with their ratings.

Honestly, a Pro9200 would be getting right about 1000 watts per driver with 4 subs on it.  So maybe pick up a second Pro9200 for the other 4 once they are all fixed.  The Pro9200 is known to perform well on sub duty as well.

Honestly going from a Pro9200 to a PL6.0 would be only a gain of ~1.5dB, not noticeable really at all.

So I would really just use the 2 Pro9200's for 8 UCS1, and take out any hard limiting on them and keep the amps out of hard clipping with proper ~35hz 24dB/octave HPF set, and you should be fine with most kinds of music.

Take Care,
Phil
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 01:10:27 AM »

I drove my UCS1's with about 6 different amp configurations. The best "sounding" amp was by far the MA5000. I tried the PL6.0, 9200 and various bridged amps. The MA5000 constantly gave me the best performance, even when run down to 2 ohms. I also had 2 separate limiters setup for them. I had an RMS limiter that kicked in sooner with a softer knee, and then a hard limiter right below clip.

Oh, and I also had some very specific EQ settings on them that tightened the bottom up, and gave them some more "punch."

Evan
Not all change is good change.

MARK PAVLETICH

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 02:34:45 AM »

I have made exactly the same transition that you are contemplating ( well nearly ). I went from 2 x bridged CE4000's to 2 x dual channel Powerlight 6 ii 's ( non PFC). The bulid quality of the PL 6ii 's is better than the CE4000's and the CE4000's have both failed in service at some point. The Powerlight 6's have been very reliable. Sound (once  sensitivity compensated for ) PL6ii's sound tighter in the bottom end and I think they sound "cleaner" so to speak. They are driving 2 X JBL HLA4897A's each. The greater rated power output from 230 volts ( the mains voltage here), seems to translate to cleaner,tighter,deeper sub bass frequency output.

MARK PAVLETICH

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 02:35:27 AM »

I have made exactly the same transition that you are contemplating ( well nearly ). I went from 2 x bridged CE4000's to 2 x dual channel Powerlight 6 ii 's ( non PFC). The bulid quality of the PL 6ii 's is better than the CE4000's and the CE4000's have both failed in service at some point. The Powerlight 6's have been very reliable. Sound (once  sensitivity compensated for ) PL6ii's sound tighter in the bottom end and I think they sound "cleaner" so to speak. They are driving 2 X JBL HLA4897A's each. The greater rated power output from 230 volts ( the mains voltage here), seems to translate to cleaner,tighter,deeper sub bass frequency output.

Shanne Flemming

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »

I switched from a Crown MA5002 to an IT8000 on 6-8 UCS1's. The IT8000 is a great amp to use on the UCS1's. The voltage limiting and xovers in the IT8000 is a great benefit. Both amps provided a great sound and feel. The IT8000 is easier on power, provided for extra headroom and is lighter.  Using for a hard rock band.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.