ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Building Portable Drum Riser  (Read 22718 times)

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

Building Portable Drum Riser
« on: July 07, 2010, 10:46:01 PM »

I know it seems like a fairly easy task, and I am confident I have the ability and tools to do so, but was looking for some suggestions. I have an outside gig coming up next month for a benefit, and the budget is next to nothing so I'm thinking about building a riser myself and renting it out in the future when desired. It will be kept in my 6x12 trailer. Not really sure on dimensions, but I would like to keep it as light as possible without sacrificing the rigidity of the structure. I was thinking of somehow make it fold into half with casters so that it can be rolled and will take up less room in the trailer. I was thinking 10-12" in height would suffice. Any suggestions on the matter?
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Rich Grisier

Re: Building Portable Drum Riser
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:38:42 PM »

A local drummer I know built himself a nice riser.  It folds in half and has two casters on it so it rolls on edge.  For legs he used mini versions of those collapsible cafeteria table legs.  Not sure where he got them.

Brent Gillespie

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:39:41 PM »

Hi Benjamin.  I've seen a few different designs on the internet (Google) as well as in the search feature  here on PSW.  Some basic designs  on the base of the platform  use one similar  to a waterbed  base.   Also,  you can checkout  the website  proriser.com .  That guy has designed what looks like a very sturdy yet portable riser.  Just some thoughts.   Regards,  brent

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 12:04:56 AM »

I am thinking of have a 3 rows of 3 removable legs, that way packing in the trailer is very minimum. I really like how the Pro Riser folds in 4 pieces, good idea, along with the rear drum throne rail.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Ron Kimball

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 12:21:39 AM »

One common thing you see is 5 gallon buckets used as legs - they stack nicely for transport Smile :
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDi splay?storeId=10051&productId=100672965&langId=-1&am p;catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100672965&a mp;cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D24X-_-100672965

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 12:28:16 AM »

I highly recommend these:

http://www.intellistage.com/

Very light, very mobile, nicely made, and not overly expensive. A couple rentals should pay for the setup. Four of the 4x4 foot sections with the 12" legs would make a great drum riser. I'm planning on getting a set 2 feet tall for my own inventory at some point.

Anything that's holding people up or being held above people should be done right, because if it fails...........

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 12:43:17 AM »

I really dont want to or feel safe using 5 gallon buckets. Just doesnt seem like it'd be secure enough. These pre fab'd risers are nice, but as I said there really isnt a budget for this, nor is it something I plan to rent often at all.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 12:50:13 AM »

Benjamin (BJ) Fisher wrote on Wed, 07 July 2010 23:43

as I said there really isnt a budget for this, nor is it something I plan to rent often at all.

Sounds like building one is a bad business decision.  I would tell the benefit organizers that they need to use some of their projected proceeds to rent one, ask one of the drummers to supply it, or do without it.  Beggars can't be choosers.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 12:57:40 AM »

Jeff Wheeler wrote on Wed, 07 July 2010 23:50

Benjamin (BJ) Fisher wrote on Wed, 07 July 2010 23:43

as I said there really isnt a budget for this, nor is it something I plan to rent often at all.

Sounds like building one is a bad business decision.  I would tell the benefit organizers that they need to use some of their projected proceeds to rent one, ask one of the drummers to supply it, or do without it.  Beggars can't be choosers.

This really isnt a "business decision" at all though. And I am actually one of the organizers. Its not a big deal, its just something I do each summer for a friend of mine that passed away from Lymphoma last year. All (if any) proceeds go to a local non profit music organization. I'm simply doing this because I would like to.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Dave Rickard

Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.