ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on QSC PL6.0 PFC  (Read 4449 times)

Ronnie Reels

Opinions on QSC PL6.0 PFC
« on: July 07, 2010, 02:54:51 pm »

I want to try one of these to run 4 UCS1's. I have blown drivers using CE4000's bridged (2 boxes per amp) so its time to change gears. This may be too much power also. I have a Pro9200 on 4 but it doesn't seem to do much.   I hear the low end is great on the 6.0 and 6.0pfc but am aware of the reliability issues.  Just how bad are the issues?  Would you buy it?  MA5000 maybe? Damn these things are heavy amps.

Dale Black

Re: Opinions on QSC PL6.0 PFC
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 03:26:27 pm »

wow, I use a pro9200 on 4 sub boxes and it freakin kills.

everyone around here seems to like the PL6.0 and use them with out problem.

Dave Sturzenbecher

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 04:26:24 pm »

Are you implying that you are blowing woofers because you have too much power?  If you are, then don't waste your money on new amps.  Get a decent DSP so you can protect your drivers via High Pass filters and limiters.

Ronnie Reels

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 05:05:15 pm »

Of course I am using hi pass and brickwall limiting.  

Dave Sturzenbecher

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 05:14:30 pm »

Then i suspect that it is not properlly setup, what DSP are you using, and what are the settings looking like?

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 05:17:21 pm »

Ronnie Reels wrote on Wed, 07 July 2010 22:05

Of course I am using hi pass and brickwall limiting.  

Hi.

What are trying to achieve moving from two Crown CE 4000's bridged to one QSC PL 6.0 PFC in stereo mode?

If you are constantly damaging speakers, more subs would be a better choice. Looking for another amplifier that is slighlty lower in output may cause the same amount of damage as the CE 4000s in bridged mode.

Best Regards,
Elliot

Ronnie Reels

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 06:15:54 pm »

I am trying to achieve "better" sound.  Tight, low thunderous bass. I've used CE4000's for years just ready to try something different.  The 9200 is no where near the output of the 4000's.  I have 8 UCS1.....I've blown 3.  DR260....35hz-90....limited hard.   The amps rarely see clip.

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 06:56:26 pm »

Ronnie Reels wrote on Wed, 07 July 2010 23:15

I am trying to achieve "better" sound.  Tight, low thunderous bass. I've used CE4000's for years just ready to try something different.  The 9200 is no where near the output of the 4000's.  I have 8 UCS1.....I've blown 3.  DR260....35hz-90....limited hard.   The amps rarely see clip.

Okay.

If you use the QSC PL 6.0 PFC @ 4 ohms per channel you will have more headroom. Headroom can relate to tightness since no headroom offers a higher degree of distortion with the end result of a less than accurate response.

However, if you are using the QSC PL 6.0 PFC @ 2 ohms per channel, you are driving the amplifier at full capacity. So, the response may resemble what you are currently getting through your two Crown CE 4000’s @ 4 ohms bridged mono.

Since sound is subjective, it will be very hard to say if you will hear a difference using two CE 4000 amplifiers bridged mono @ 4 ohms against one QSC PL 6.0 PFC  @ 2 ohms per channel.

Generally more power will play a large factor and, to be honest the margin is not wide enough to make a significant difference going for a QSC PL 6.0 PFC.

If you are feeding two CE 4000 200 volts, you can achieve 7200 watts based on your current configuration. One QSC PL 6.0 PFC offers 3500 watts per channel @ 2 ohms. As you can see, the wattage difference are basically the same.

Under those conditions you will need an amplifier in the range of 14000 watts. This will bring forth more output with a better sound due to having +3 dB of headroom from your current set-up.

“Tighter bass” usually stems from less low frequency extension so, rolling off a lot of information around 40 Hertz will help. This may even save you the ordeal of swapping amplifiers. Try crossing from 100 - 40 Hz and see if that helps before spending money on amplifiers that may not be needed.

Best Regards,

Elliot

Caleb Dick

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 07:08:55 pm »

Ronnie Reels wrote on Wed, 07 July 2010 15:15

UCS1's are great, but maybe they just don't go deep enough.  

Are they phase (time) aligned with the tops well?

Caleb
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 09:19:32 pm »

Ronnie Reels wrote on Wed, 07 July 2010 18:15

If you're blowing subs that are processed and limited properly, then it's time for more rig. It's that simple. You could DOUBLE your amp power (the subs can't take that obviously), and negating power compression and other factors you would see a 3dB increase in output. That 3dB would barely be noticeable for most people.

Doubling the number of subs would yield you a 6dB increase, which is enough to be considered "double the volume" by most people. (Double the volume is usually 10dB at 1kHz and 5dB at 20Hz I believe).

So realistically, more subs with LESS or the same power would be the idea choice. Or different subs.

Also worthy of note is that subs will never sound better as they near the point of detonation--distortion and power compression increase rapidly at that point. You'd have far better sound with a system not pushed to it's limits.

edit:

More information would be nice too, such as how do you deploy the subs (how do you stack them, center cluster or separated, etc), what are your tops (a large part of kick drum sound is above 100Hz, which would not be in the sub range anymore). Also, as Caleb asked, are they phase aligned with the tops. Coherence will greatly improve the sound of the system. Even a millisecond or two is enough to be noticed.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 13 queries.