ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley Review  (Read 40778 times)

leon garrity

Re: Danley Review
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2010, 04:16:54 PM »

Hello Ivan,

the UX is just showing -12 to -6 at peaks,so no limiting its just im trying to find the problem.

Leon

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2010, 05:48:53 PM »

leon garrity wrote on Mon, 02 August 2010 16:16

Hello Ivan,

the UX is just showing -12 to -6 at peaks,so no limiting its just im trying to find the problem.

Leon

Have you tried a different output jack on the DSP?  Have you swapped cables from the DSP to the amp?

All it takes is one connection that is not quite right to kill the signal.

Yes it can be hard to track down where it is in the chain.

I would put a constant source in (not a live band) and then beat-bang-bump-twist-yank etc on every cable and piece of gear and see if you can get it to happen.

Then start to track it down.

One of the first things is to be able to reproduce the problem.  Then you have something to shoot for.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

leon garrity

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2010, 09:12:40 PM »

Hello folks,

well well well,i found the problemit was the limiters on the Lab gruppen amp,put a larger amp on the boxes and no problems,i put a Lab 4000c on them,the boxes albeit state 800/1600 but it takes it surprisingly well infact amazingly well,i didnt push it to where i would be giving the boxes 2100 watts @4 ohms.

Heres something for fun and just to show you how good Danleys are,in my time ive used different wedges....

EAW microwedge 12"
D&B max 12
Turbosound.
Overall the Microwedge is a fantastic wedge,designed by one of the worlds greatest engineers Dave the rat Levine.So wat i did i tried to see how the SH100 would fare as a wedge,all i can say is it kicked its ass.
I gave the cabinets the same power,crossover slopes,signal you name it.Then i gave the microwedge the full power it needs 1000 watts @8ohms plus more ,YEAH ITS EAW so its greedy.Now you can bi-amp the MW but did a straight one amp on each no processing.
Here is what i found,the SH100 is not only smoother,got better dispersion,louder,clearer,sweeter,it doesn't feed back as much.
The tonal differance is night and day,im not trying to blow smoke up Danleys ass so to speak but any side by side comparison in my book speaks volumes.

OK here in simple terms......

The sh100 is half the price,weighs less,needs less power,doesnt need to be over processed to get the best out of it,sounds better,is easier to cable up as the connection plate on the MW is stupidly hidden.Im not anti EAW as there products are world class but im afraid Danley is just better.

also we had a guy who uses Turbosound and he came up and said "what the hell are those boxes" he said hed never heard any box perform like that.Now that made me smile....................................A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2010, 09:29:05 PM »

leon garrity wrote on Sun, 08 August 2010 21:12

Hello folks,

well well well,i found the problemit was the limiters on the Lab gruppen amp,put a larger amp on the boxes and no problems,i put a Lab 4000c on them,the boxes albeit state 800/1600 but it takes it surprisingly well infact amazingly well,i didnt push it to where i would be giving the boxes 2100 watts @4 ohms.

Heres something for fun and just to show you how good Danleys are,in my time ive used different wedges....

EAW microwedge 12"
D&B max 12
Turbosound.
Overall the Microwedge is a fantastic wedge,designed by one of the worlds greatest engineers Dave the rat Levine.So wat i did i tried to see how the SH100 would fare as a wedge,all i can say is it kicked its ass.
I gave the cabinets the same power,crossover slopes,signal you name it.Then i gave the microwedge the full power it needs 1000 watts @8ohms plus more ,YEAH ITS EAW so its greedy.Now you can bi-amp the MW but did a straight one amp on each no processing.
Here is what i found,the SH100 is not only smoother,got better dispersion,louder,clearer,sweeter,it doesn't feed back as much.
The tonal differance is night and day,im not trying to blow smoke up Danleys ass so to speak but any side by side comparison in my book speaks volumes.

OK here in simple terms......

The sh100 is half the price,weighs less,needs less power,doesnt need to be over processed to get the best out of it,sounds better,is easier to cable up as the connection plate on the MW is stupidly hidden.Im not anti EAW as there products are world class but im afraid Danley is just better.

also we had a guy who uses Turbosound and he came up and said "what the hell are those boxes" he said hed never heard any box perform like that.Now that made me smile....................................A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you found the problem-I'm even more sure you are Very Happy .

The current Danley monitors (SHLPM-SH100M-SHVLPM) are pretty much identical to the SH100.  They use the same horn-same driver and same crossover.  Only the cabinet angles and other "cosmetic" things are different.  

The SHLPM is not only the best looking in the bunch-but it also has a slightly better sound due to less reflections off of the floor.  The angle of the horn and the distance from the floor are the reason.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Frederik Rosenkjær

• http://www.blackburst.dk
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2010, 06:32:49 PM »

Well, I thought this might be an appropriate thread to post this little "Danley Review" in.

I just received my two SH46s from Jeff Knorr of Cobrasound. They are in very good condition with padded covers.

Put them on my Yamaha TX5n amp and fired them up.

Wow. I was expecting a nice sounding speaker for sure, but this was way over my expectations. I fully understand why people are using these in home hifi-settings. Even flat they are brilliant for listening at moderate levels which is what I spent the first couple of hours doing and testing arrayability, which was almost as great as the SH50 - very impressive!

So it was certainly a nice surprise that this loud speaker has not sacrificed sound quality in any even remotely important way - on the contrary it's the best sounding PA speaker I've ever heard (besides probably the SH50 and SH96 which I've also heard but in a horrible room).

My reference, as some will know, is d&b Q7 which has been my main top for the last 5 years. They're not far behind but now for the first time they have been pushed off my personal 1st place pedestal for sheer sound quality. This I did not really expect. I'd describe the sound of the SH46 as every bit as pleasant and smooth as the Q7 but with an added "rawness" especially in the mids, that does not in any way mean "unpleasant" but just "honest" or "open". Punchy lows, fantastic mid range clarity - vocals and guitars just have a really special life, while the highs are super pleasing.

I expected the frequency response of the cabinet to be more skewed than it is. Like I said - for listening at moderate levels, I don't find it necessary to do anything to it, but when you start cranking it, you'll probably want to tame the mids. That being said this is NOT the mids problem that you often face with "rock and roll"-style cabinets where it's just driving the old ice pick in your ears and is either too hot or too low. Just pulling it back a little and all is well....or fantastic, rather.

But then it came time to test how loud this thing gets and everyone is always raving about this.

I won't say I was disappointed - it's more that I, once again, discovered what I knew all along - that d&b Q7s are no slouches. One SH46 on a Yamaha TX5n is quite precisely as loud as two Q7s (on one channel D12) which together are a bit smaller and lighter than a single SH46. And that IS loud.

So for the added weight you get a coherent coverage in one cabinet where the two Q7 obviously do overlap and phase around a bit, though this exact configuration is used in many high class venues in Denmark.

This was with recorded music in a pretty small space so I'm excited to see what will happen in larger places. It does, however, give me doubts about whether the SM60F will be able to replace the Q7s for mains. If the SH46 is "only" about 6 dB louder than the Q7...but I guess I'll have to wait and see about that one.

leon garrity

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2010, 07:11:57 PM »

Hi Frederick,i do think that the SM60f would beat the Q7 maybe not in overall volume but purely as it is Synergy and the Q7 is not,i dont think that the Q7 can have as accurate pattern control or tonality,Im not just saying this but i think Danley boxes beat every mainstream speaker on the planet,i played the coal train which tom danley recorded and all i can say is what the hell???????????

your dealing with point source with Danley and with D&B your dealing with a high end conventional loudspeaker,im not knocking D&B as im a user of the product but with Danley its just pure sound...........Pure sound you can hear the source not the box,
when i used D&B to me it was processed sound,very good but made to sound good,Danley just sound good. For years i had a sound in my head,what i wanted i didn't get it from EAW ,Turbosound,Nexo,D&B but when i use Danley i get the sound i want.Im no scientist but what Tom has created is above my thoughts of sound and what i percieve sound to be,i can say with hand on heart that its pure beautifullness,i go on stage with a belief for the first time.One thing it has awoken is this if the SM60f sounds this good what do SH50/60 soundlike????????????????????????????????

leon garrity

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2010, 07:17:33 PM »

Another thing i would like to add is Stated max DB.....this box is 134db that box is 132 db, i ran one pair of KF695z with a pair of SB625 with over 10 k of lab amps on it and it comes no where near the output of what the Danleys do,we did a gig on sunday and it was pure ear candy............

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2010, 02:45:55 AM »

Well, I have no doubt that they sound fantastic and the pattern control is awesome - but those are not really substitutes for output and I would like to keep the output I currently have.

Does anyone have a feeling if two SM60s put together would be as loud as one SH46, or how far from it it would be?

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2010, 08:13:55 AM »

Frederik Rosenkj

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2010, 03:05:52 PM »

I would never buy speakers in this class and then array them overlapping - then I'd have bought the wrong speaker. It was solely an attempt to get a feel for the output of the SM60F, now that I know that two arrayed Q7's are about equal to one SH46.

Does DSL keep any kind of records on where in Europe which products reside?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up