ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley Review  (Read 40757 times)

leon garrity

Re: Danley Review
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 07:50:41 PM »

UPDATE ON RIG....

Well had the rig set by an engineer today and it sounds frightingly good,very clear and goes loud without sounding nasty,
the engineer says it was amazing how good the pattern control is and how good it sounds everywhere in the room,give a further update after thursdays gig

leon garrity

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 08:40:56 PM »

Hello Folks,
well tonights show was scary for the reason that in 16 years of using various rigs from EAW to D&B to now Danley,the sound coming from these boxes was amazing but also how the rig had lifted in volume and  clarity but only using half power,so im puzzled to say the least.Whether my connection from my 32 amp distro is faulty and not connecting correctly ,but the room was about 120' long 40' wide and 15 ' high.
The room was full of sound very even soundstage,the bass was defo hitting me right at the back but with clarity ive never heard before?????????????
can incorrect power affect the way Lab Gruppen amps work.
I am very confused.

leon garrity

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 09:48:57 PM »

Hello,

well found that my patch bay was wired out of phase  on the sh100 which explains the dodgy sounds i had (COMPANY WHO WIRED IT WANTS SHOOTING).

Also ran the rig very hard tonight and when i took the SM60 down the cab was warm,is it normal for this to happen,i think i pushed it a little more than it liked as it sort of went off for a second twice tonight.Only one of the boxes???????

Is there any protection in the boxes?????????
So now i know where i can push it to,from what the amps are giving out i reckon 1300 watts is going into the tops,i know there rated at 800 watts and 1600 program,does this mean you can give them 1600 watts or is that too much.
what would you ideally put into these top boxes.

The Sh100 can go loud with 800 watts at 160hz crossover,im crossing the SM60 at 100 HZ.Would i better dropping the SML on the Lab 3400 by 2db and it would get 1100 peak instead 1450?

Leon

Weogo Reed

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 12:24:32 AM »

Hi Leon,

I'm one of the very interested folks following your SM60F review - thanks for the update!

How many watts you can give a box is partly answered by how long a duration, and how frequently it is hit with higher power.
Clean or clipped signal is also going to make a big difference.

With the boxes getting warm, it sounds like they may be getting more power than they are happy with.
More rig??

Good health,  Weogo

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 10:15:10 AM »

Weogo Reed wrote on Mon, 19 July 2010 00:24

Hi Leon,

I'm one of the very interested folks following your SM60F review - thanks for the update!

How many watts you can give a box is partly answered by how long a duration, and how frequently it is hit with higher power.
Clean or clipped signal is also going to make a big difference.

With the boxes getting warm, it sounds like they may be getting more power than they are happy with.
More rig??

Good health,  Weogo

For the 100th time:

The shape of the waveform is irrelevant...it is only the actual power in the signal that matters. Yes, "square" or "clipped" waves may have more average power than a clean signal, but it's only the actual power that matters. (I guess you could say, that as the waveform gets squarer, less voltage is required to achieve the same power.)

If a speaker is rated for 500 watts RMS, it will take 500 watts RMS of clipped sine waves just fine.

As far as the speaker warmth, you have to remember that a speaker is very inefficient--only about 5% of the amplifier power makes it out as sound. The other 95% is made into mostly heat. So if you're powering a speaker with 1000 watts for a few hours, you essentially just ran a 950 watt space heater in the box for that long. It's no surprise that it gets hot!

If nothing's blowing up, then the heat is probably normal. There are a LOT of drivers in that Danley box in a small space, so heat is not unexpected.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 11:12:37 AM »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Mon, 19 July 2010 10:15

As far as the speaker warmth, you have to remember that a speaker is very inefficient--only about 5% of the amplifier power makes it out as sound. The other 95% is made into mostly heat. So if you're powering a speaker with 1000 watts for a few hours, you essentially just ran a 950 watt space heater in the box for that long. It's no surprise that it gets hot!

If nothing's blowing up, then the heat is probably normal. There are a LOT of drivers in that Danley box in a small space, so heat is not unexpected.

Agreed-there is not a lot of airspace in that cabinet-and the driver magnets are right up against the panels.  In fact they go into the panels a little bit (recesses to allow for proper placement along the horn).

Regarding the cutting out, there is no protection to keep you from letting out the magic smoke.  If it was cutting in and out it could be one of a couple different things.  The amp channel-the cable going to the loudspeaker or something loose inside the cabinet.

Intermittants are really hard to track down-especially if they happen only once or so a night.

Here is a fiberglass cutaway cabinet view.
index.php/fa/31429/0/
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Steve Hurt

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 05:59:26 PM »

Not much air in that speaker.
It's action packed!

Weogo Reed

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 01:03:36 AM »

Hi Silas,

Thanks for the correction.

Good health,  Weogo

leon garrity

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 07:37:59 AM »

Many thanks for your answers,

Understanding how speakers work is valuable,just never felt heat on boxes thats all.Glad ive not fried them.

Went to listen to the boxes when my singer did his solo at the venue,its unreal how loud the boxes go but with clarity,no harshness just full sound.I understand that its not about volume but its good to see that a box can go loud and keep sonicaly good.We play in venues where the use sound meters which cut you off at a certain level of volume but generaly its bad bass frequencies that push it and make it trip.Since using the Danleys ive run it very loud and no trips.
Experienced bass from the subs to which ive never felt before,which delights Scott (BASS PLAYER) but when your wearing in ear monitors its a little unnerving when you swear you can feel the stage flexing,withoout doubt these subs are the best ive ever heard,i only have 2 quandries so to speak because of the light weight to size ratio of the subs they jump around and move,also there a little awkward to carry upstairs,ok if you have the handles but if your the guy at the bottom of the box its a tough carry.Was there no way that you could have incorpurated carrying handles into the boxes without altering the sound,every other manufacturer who makes touring subs places handles conveniently for ease of handling.I believe that Danley can become a major market leader in the use for concerts rather than the line array every concert seems to use these days.But my opinion is that they need to be more easier to handle.Other than that they are quite the perfect sub.
I know the tops are new on the market but IMO there is nothing on the planet in its size that can match it for output of a true DB rating and for more importantly the sound that comes from it,i used to use D&B c690  a very well made 12/2 box which sounded nice could go loud ,roughly the same price as i remember when i first purchased it.However not in the same league as this little baby.

Steve Hurt

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 08:23:51 AM »

leon garrity wrote on Tue, 20 July 2010 07:37

\i only have 2 quandries so to speak because of the light weight to size ratio of the subs they jump around and move,also there a little awkward to carry upstairs,ok if you have the handles but if your the guy at the bottom of the box its a tough carry.Was there no way that you could have incorpurated carrying handles into the boxes without altering the sound,every other manufacturer who makes touring subs places handles conveniently for ease of handling.

Rubber mats under the subs will help cure the walking.

Anyone who wants to make a sub that is user friendly to carry should look at the Yorkville UCS1 and copy the handle locations, especially the ones at the bottom and the bottom sides.

(my uneducated opinion is: if they were sealed, handles on the bottom and bottom sides of the TH115 wouldn't alter the horn path.  I may be entirely wrong though.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.