ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ls9 vs. 01v96  (Read 15978 times)

Adam Pace

• Yarbrough's Music, Inc.
ls9 vs. 01v96
« on: March 11, 2011, 10:50:50 AM »

GOOD MORNING ALL!!!

My church has recently decided to upgrade our console into the digital era. I use the ls9 on a regular basis and feel that it is a great fit for our needs.

Then I look at the 01v96. Although I have never stood behind one, the price tag is very tantilizing.

What are the differences between the ls9 and the 01v96?

Feel free to offer both technicial specification differences as well as opinions in navigation, feel, sound, or just pros and cons of what y'all have experienced.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Adam
Adam Pace
Productions Manager

Yarbrough's Music, Inc.
6122 Macon Road
Memphis, TN 38134

Phone: 901-761-0414
Fax: 901-257-7773
Email: [email protected]

Brad Harris

Re: ls9 vs. 01v96
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 10:53:16 AM »

They are completely different consoles, with completely different I/O #'s

What do you need to do with said console? (inputs, outputs, routing, etc)

GOOD MORNING ALL!!!

My church has recently decided to upgrade our console into the digital era. I use the ls9 on a regular basis and feel that it is a great fit for our needs.

Then I look at the 01v96. Although I have never stood behind one, the price tag is very tantilizing.

Feel free to offer both technicial specification differences as well as opinions in navigation, feel, sound, or just pros and cons of what y'all have experienced.

Adam

Adam Pace

• Yarbrough's Music, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 01:51:09 PM »

They are completely different consoles, with completely different I/O #'s

What do you need to do with said console? (inputs, outputs, routing, etc)

I was really looking for opinions on differences in navigation. What you liked on one that isn't on the other. Page layout, recallable headamps, Flashdrive capabilities for playback, recording, scene loading/saving. internal routing flexibility. etc.

It needs to meet the basic church praise and worship requirements and be expandable to at least 32 channels. Our church is not huge but it is growing. The system that I inherited when I joined, although ample in power and system processing, the console they chose is a 16ch Soundcraft spirit fx series. To say the least, we have outgrown. Now that I have thought about it, I am leaning towards an ls9-32, but if the the 01v96 has ample expandability options, then it will still be in the running.

On any given Sunday, we run about 6 vocal handhelds, 3 lavs, keys, 2 condensers for choir, assundry guitars, bass, mandolin, other random instruments ran on DI, CD player, Laptop playback.

Outputs: Main stereo mix. 4 monitor mixes. Stereo recording mix. Hearing impaired mono sum.

I am aware of most of the tech specifications of both consoles and really only have a few questions about the 01v96

Does it offer the same internal geq and fx processing as the ls9? How does it differ? How many slots does it have for fx/geq's?

How many expandability options does it offer?

Automated faders right?

And any other insights you have.
Adam Pace
Productions Manager

Yarbrough's Music, Inc.
6122 Macon Road
Memphis, TN 38134

Phone: 901-761-0414
Fax: 901-257-7773
Email: [email protected]

Daniel Cash

• SR Forums
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 02:03:22 PM »

GOOD MORNING ALL!!!

Adam

Adam,

I come from a church background, and understand the environment.

I also own and regularly use the 01v96 for bar band gigs.  I really like the 01v96, and the power and flexibility it offers at such a low price point, but i dont think it is the right fit for a church.   In my opinion the user interface on the 01v96 is just not as approachable as the LS9. For training volunteers or worship team members (especially if they are new to digital), the LS9 is the way to go. 

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 02:20:39 PM »

I was really looking for opinions on differences in navigation. What you liked on one that isn't on the other. Page layout, recallable headamps, Flashdrive capabilities for playback, recording, scene loading/saving. internal routing flexibility. etc.

It needs to meet the basic church praise and worship requirements and be expandable to at least 32 channels. Our church is not huge but it is growing. The system that I inherited when I joined, although ample in power and system processing, the console they chose is a 16ch Soundcraft spirit fx series. To say the least, we have outgrown. Now that I have thought about it, I am leaning towards an ls9-32, but if the the 01v96 has ample expandability options, then it will still be in the running.

On any given Sunday, we run about 6 vocal handhelds, 3 lavs, keys, 2 condensers for choir, assundry guitars, bass, mandolin, other random instruments ran on DI, CD player, Laptop playback.

Outputs: Main stereo mix. 4 monitor mixes. Stereo recording mix. Hearing impaired mono sum.

I am aware of most of the tech specifications of both consoles and really only have a few questions about the 01v96

Does it offer the same internal geq and fx processing as the ls9? How does it differ? How many slots does it have for fx/geq's?

How many expandability options does it offer?

Automated faders right?

And any other insights you have.

Not sure what you mean by "slots for fx/geq's".  There are no built in graphic eq.'s on the 01v96 (if memory serves me correctly) but there are parametric eq.'s on every input and every output so, who needs the graphic.
The overall sound quality of the 01v96 is far higher than the ls9. 
As far as FX go, the ls9 offers 4 FX processors, again, if memory serves, while I just don't recall how many are available on the 01v96.

The 01v96 is a 20 bus console while the ls9 is 27 busses I believe.

The 01v96 has only one expansion slot while the ls9-32 has 2.

The ls9 would be easier for most church volunteers to navigate.

Given your list of needs I would not suggest the 01v96.  It's to small (only 16 exposed faders) for 32 channels of live mixing in my opinion.  I also would not consider the ls9-16 as a viable 32 channel live mixer for the same reason.

In a church situation I find that recallable head amps tend to be a much better choice than having everything except the head amps recallable.  Once this is considered the LS9-32 is cost effective until you move beyond 48 channels or you need to do multitrack recording.  At that point the Roland M-400 becomes a much more cost effective option.

As a separate note, the sound quality of the Roland is much higher than the ls9.

Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

tim.j.phillips

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 02:44:09 PM »

Adam:
All the previous points are good ones to take into account.  Ive worked around both the 01v and an LS9-32 and i can say from both a very nice boards as far as flexibility goes.  What you also might want to take into account is how many inputs your going to be needing now and in the future.  I know most HOW require a large amounts of inputs and a large degree of flexibility depending on how big your church is. 

While the 01v and ls9-16 have the same number of native physical inputs (12 xlr, 4 trs and 16 xlr respectfully) the ls9-16 also has 2x as many native omni outs as the 01v giving u the ability to send more places ie monitors, recording, tv production etc.

From what you wrote as your needs, it sounds like an ls9-32 is what you should get just by the amount of flexibility and room to grow the board would allow you.  The ls9-32 has 16 omni outs as well as 8 matricies that would give you plenty of sends for your monitor mixes and FOH mix as well as expandability for whatever else your might want. 

As far as EQ and FX goes, the o1v has 2 effects racks if i remember correctly and the ls9-32 has 4 racks.  You can virtually rack mount a 32 band GEQ if you wanted for your FOH feed if that is what you are looking for. 

hope this helps.

-Tim
Yes, I really do know what all these buttons do

David Parker

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 06:44:35 PM »

"The overall sound quality of the 01v96 is far higher than the ls9. "

Huh? I have both and have never tested them side by side, but neither of them is "far higher" in sound quality.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »

"The overall sound quality of the 01v96 is far higher than the ls9. "

Huh? I have both and have never tested them side by side, but neither of them is "far higher" in sound quality.

If you run either a really good recording or use really good mics through them, the 01v96 sounds better, no question about it.  I will have to say that I have only tested the 01v96 against the ls9 with the 01v96 at a 96kHz sample rate. 

Between the two would I notice it in a typical church system?  Hard to say.  I have not tested those, in that situation, side by side.
Here's a test I just did.
Would people pick the Roland M-400 over the ls9-32 when allowed to set them up side by side and play, yes.  This just happened with a client of mine from aspects of sound quality and ease of use.  Every person chose the Roland, even those who were very familiar with the Yamaha M7cl and already thought they would prefer the Yamaha.

By the way, I work on and design Yamaha into many systems.  That does not make them the best sounding, just the best fit for that application.

Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 09:41:03 PM »

Adam,

I come from a church background, and understand the environment.

I also own and regularly use the 01v96 for bar band gigs.  I really like the 01v96, and the power and flexibility it offers at such a low price point, but i dont think it is the right fit for a church.   In my opinion the user interface on the 01v96 is just not as approachable as the LS9. For training volunteers or worship team members (especially if they are new to digital), the LS9 is the way to go.

+1
The 01v96 is a very powerful tool, but the one thing it isn't is user friendly, especially for users that have only worked on analog boards.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »

We install quite a few of both.

The most important thing is the number of inputs/outputs you need.  While the 01V can be expanded, this is one thing to consider.

Do you want to deal with layers? Some people don't, others don't care.

But the two biggest differences (that make a big deal to me) -beyound the price difference-is the number of auxes available (how many do you really need?) and the fact that the LS9 has a high pass filter.  That is HUGE to me.  Yes you can get a highpass filter if you use the low tone control on the 01V96, but I don't like giving up that control (in most cases).

Having recallable mic pres is also HUGE in the HOW market.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.