ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JTR Orbit Shifter ("Live Sound" version)  (Read 13698 times)

Sean Brown

JTR Orbit Shifter ("Live Sound" version)
« on: June 29, 2010, 12:10:08 AM »

Does anyone have any experience with the new Orbit Shifter (Live Sound version) from JTR speakers?  Also, I read some where that it performs very close to the Danley TH-118.  Any info on this?   Also, any pics?

-Sean

Matt Martin

Re: JTR Orbit Shifter ("Live Sound" version)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 01:29:49 AM »

Not sure if you heard the Growlers, but I hear a pair will have more output than 4 of them. They are a lot bigger than a growler, but will still take up less footprint (trailer, etc.) than the four as well.

Sean Brown

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 01:17:59 AM »

Thanks for your info Matt.

Steve Hurt

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 02:18:19 AM »

I bought a pair.  
JTR specs for them are found here:
http://jtrspeakers.com/portable/orbit-shifter/

I bought mine for a few reasons
1) Since I got a trailer, moving 2 large speakers is quicker than moving 4 small ones and they take less trailer space than 4 Growlers
2) Some of my customers think my Growler rig is too small (in appearance, not sound)  Orbit Shifters are not small.
3) According to Jeff, these things will produce what 6 or 8 of my 1st generation Growlers would produce.  That got my attention!

Thoughts,
- They are large.  22-1/2 x 30 x 45 and weigh 160 lbs ea
- They look like huge Growlers. I'm going to make grilles for them.  The customers that complain about size will complain about their appearance.
- They are loud.  I've used them on 4 gigs now and still haven't had a chance to hit them hard (I'm using an I-Tech 6K which is a bit less power than they're spec'd to take, but I haven't had the opportunity to get hit them with what that amp will give yet.
- They sound good from what I can tell so far.
- Anything smaller than my JBL SRX722 on top of them looks funny.  My Triple 8's look like toys on top.

I'll attach a couple pics from the biker benefit we did today (pics taken before the band set up)

index.php/fa/31297/0/

Steve Hurt

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 02:21:08 AM »

Side view of Orbit Shifters
(and a view of Telecaster world)index.php/fa/31298/0/

Sean Brown

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 02:57:29 AM »

Steve, Thanks for the pics.  Nice setup.  How are the Orbit Shifters to move around (balance, etc.)?  Are wheels attached?  Any reason you didn't get the powered versions? How do you think they stack up against their comp?

Ian Coughlin

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 04:06:22 PM »

Wow, they make those 722's look like 715's lol.  Would love to hear what they can do on an IT8000 or similar being pushed.

Steve Hurt

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 06:04:56 PM »

Sean Brown wrote on Mon, 12 July 2010 02:57

Steve, Thanks for the pics.  Nice setup.  How are the Orbit Shifters to move around (balance, etc.)?  Are wheels attached?  Any reason you didn't get the powered versions? How do you think they stack up against their comp?

He put smallish wheels on them.  I think he should knock the back corner off and put wheels on the angled area like all the Yorkville subs do (and Danley and just about all the others out there).

My pair are prototypes so there may be changes to production models.

The sound is good.  Cosmetics and handling will probably be the focus of any updates (my guess - not speaking for Jeff)

edit ->added info on moving them<-
I'm okay with how they are to handle and move considering they weigh 160 lbs.  I would prefer casters with more ground clearance for moving them in grass, but they're pretty mobile for boxes that size.  The wheels are "corner casters".  I think they're 4".  Can't take a pic at the moment since the Orbit Shifters are buried in the trailer.  Here's a pic of something similar:
http://www.optcorp.com/images2/9436-m.jpg

The boxes were hard to move across grass last weekend so I used my Magliner hand truck at that show. (My monitor case, which has  4" casters with more ground clearance, didn't do well in the grass either!)  On hard surfaces, the wheels work great and it tilts and rolls quite well.  There are 4 handles routed into the back 4 corners, just like the Growlers.  The handles at the top work well when you're tilting and rolling them. I added rubber feet to the bottom to raise them up so you can slide a hand truck under them without lifting them.

Sean Brown

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 12:01:01 AM »

Steve,

Thanks for the info.

Did those cab need a lot of EQ or were they good to go after filters were set?

Jeff Permanian

• http://www.JTRspeakers.com
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 04:18:41 PM »

I'm still working out the final details; grill, handles, casters.

I think I'm going to remove the rear bottom corner, install large casters and install handles on the bottom so that when its tipped back someone could help lift them up.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 15 queries.