ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speakers for low ceiling large room  (Read 6435 times)

Matthew Ramsey

Re: Speakers for low ceiling large room
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 09:18:18 am »

So.. delay speakers... If I used the VRX line in the front, and then Salvaged some JRX cabs to put about half way back, what type of processing would I need to keep delay and phase issues from occurring?  I was planning on using a driverack to control the vrx's, but that is only for powered speakers...

Thanks Matt

Matthew Ramsey

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 09:21:34 am »

On second thought, would it be better to come up with two more VRX's to put on top of the second set of SUBs, so 6 lines and 4 subs total, and put them half way back?  Does the drive rack have the ability to configure miltiple sets of speakers in different places in the room?  Just thoughts..

Matt

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 10:53:52 am »

Which Driverack? Unless I'm mistaken you'd need a 260 or better for delays.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Peter Etheredge

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 11:23:05 am »

Matthew Ramsey wrote on Tue, 15 June 2010 12:43

Hey all, I'm currently trying to design a small/med system to provide sound for a campus group I'm part of.  The room is very hard to fit, as it is fairly large, approx. 80'x80' with a ceiling height of only 8.5'.   In the past, they have used low end jbl speakers (15" jrx) spaced throughout the room, but the end effect is a muddied sound lacking clarity in the mid range.  What I have been thinking about is using the jbl vrx line powered line arrays, the vrx932LAP, 2 per side of the stage on poles coming out of vrx918SP subs, 1 per side, with the possibility of two per side via height req.  If shaded right, I think it would be able to throw the sound out above all the people, as the room is packed with almost 500 for a weeknight bible study, while not being overwhelming to the people in the front.  I know this system works best with 2x lines/2x subs per side with the bottom line at around 9ish feet, but as we don't have the height for that, are the any thoughts for other ways to fill the room with sound?  Our budget is flexible, and with the vrx's, would be just under 20,000.  Any other thoughts on a way to get sound through the room without phase issues of multiple speaker placement, and without the issues of bodies soaking up sound?  Thanks in advance for all thoughts and hints.

Thanks-- Matt

If this is really the way you insist on going (line array like speakers) I would highly recommend looking into the EAW JFL line.  VRX sound OK but I've never been fully pleased with them and the EAW's seem to be highly regarded for what they are, so be sure to have a look.
Peter Etheredge
Systems Engineer and Designer
Top-Notch Productions, INC.
petheredge(at)tnprod.com

dennis craven

• http://vividprosystems.com
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 08:46:22 am »

Matt, your situation is both common and frustrating.  As a design build guy, we see it alot.  That low ceiling height is such a buzz kill.  The new developments in more refined column speakers are a god send to us.  2 years ago we were asked to design a light duty pa system in a fellowship hall here in wichita.  The room was low, wide and deep (90+ feet).  it was currently populated w/ ceiling speakers which werent being used.  Their workaround were boxes on poles.  We ended up using a product from Community called Enstasys which is a line array column speaker.  We mounted them (2) high on the platform side walls.  They served as the main push boxes, we then created 3 delay lines using JBL control ceiling speakers.  The delays allowed us to maintain spl and clarity right up to the back wall.  Using additive delay on the delay circuits kept localization to the front.  We placed a JBL PRX sub at SL to fill in a bit below the Enstasys and had marvelous results.  You might consider that kind of approach.  Another product we are excited about is the CBT series from JBL.  While the articulating line-array guys might look down their nose at these small devices, we cant.  We have to solve problems, and use any means to do so.  These new devices are wonderful.  dennis/vivid pro systems

Dave Sturzenbecher

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 12:13:48 pm »

It may be a little more coin, but take a look at the IC Live stuff from Renkus.  That looks like it would fit the bill rather well.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 01:17:17 pm »

The problem with any of the vertical "line sources" is that the main axis typically comes out of the middle of the array (there are some exceptions).  You need to be able to get the center of the array above peoples heads-and that would put the top of the column above the ceiling.

Since his ceiling is only 8.5', if you put the column all the way up against the ceiling, the main axis will be below the average head (when standing).  That is not going to "throw" very far with people blocking it.

As long as they stay seated, they would work better.

The ceiling height is still his biggest limitation.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

dennis craven

• http://vividprosystems.com
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 06:56:49 pm »

Yeah, the ceiling height is a killer.  I agree the IC Live would be a candidate with the moveable acoustic center, but budget is always in the back of my mind as well.  We have had a pair of active Iconix boxes from day one for demo and rental, and we like em.  A JBL CBT70J would also definitely be a candidate at a fraction of the cost.  We just placed a pair of CBT70J/JE this week in a worship space and were very impressed with the output of these little guys.  The measurements we took were consistent with the prediction data from the software from JBL.  The adjustable vertical is brilliant, all without the obvious expense of the onboard processing.  I welcome new products in the vein of the renkus ICL coming down the pike.      
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 20 queries.