ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZX1 + Amp or SXA360's??  (Read 2610 times)

fred dorado

ZX1 + Amp or SXA360's??
« on: June 11, 2010, 06:32:57 PM »

There is a place local to me that seems to be closing out some EV stock and has ZX1's and SXA360's on sale. A pair of ZX1's and an nice amp would come out about the same as a pair of SXA360's

I have read good things about both of these and was wondering which way you would go and why.

I would be using them for monitors in our church service, full band and for multipurpose stuff like our outside 4th of July party or meetings in our multipurpose room. When we redo our sound system they will get handed down to the youth.

The SXA360 seems to have the advantage, but the old style box with the separate feet for monitor use make me a little leery. It is also one more thing for our volunteers sound people to mess with when getting ready for services.

Clarity of Message through clarity of sound

Geoff Doane

Re: ZX1 + Amp or SXA360's??
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 09:03:25 PM »

I own half a dozen ZX1s and we have four SXA360s at work that I use from time to time.  They both sound surprisingly good for plastic boxes, but I think I'd have to give the edge to the 360s in the volume department.  The ZX1s use an 8" woofer, and you pay a lot in sensitivity to get the low end that they do have.

If you were just going to use them as monitors, I would favour the ZX1s because of their size.  So far, I've always been able to get them loud enough using a PLX1804 (600W) with only occasional limiting, and I haven't blown any up yet.

If they're going on sticks, the SXA360 would be my choice.  They have a very inoffensive vocal sound, and can get plenty loud if the space isn't too large.  For music outdoors, I'd definitely want the larger boxes.  I've used the ZXs outside for simple talking heads, but wouldn't trust them with music.

It's too bad the 360s have the kludgey monitor "feet", and I find running power and signal for monitors spread around on a stage to be extra work, but they do have Powercons, and would be my choice if I could only have one type of box.

BTW, I think the SXA360 has been discontinued, so if you think you may want more of them in the future, that could be a problem.

GTD

fred dorado

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 12:46:27 AM »

thanks for the assessment. Hearing them mounted on a pole the 360's definitely win with more low end that warms up the sound a bit, but last time I listened to the zx1's on the floor and they were great.

I like the idea of just being able to pull out 1 360 and attach a mic to it, but overall that will probably done less than the other stuff.

I do have an older yamaha powered mixer, but only puts out a couple hundred watts and is heavy, but think that would work for most stuff we do with the zx1's and they would be a better choice as monitor use would probably be primary duty.

Neither of them are really my perfect long term choice, but they are a good deal and would definitely be useful now and in the future.
Clarity of Message through clarity of sound

Reggie Kendrick

• http://www.channelliveproductions.com
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 06:20:50 PM »

This is no contest... choose the SXa360s.  The ZX1s are weak... my opinion is based on hearing them + the ZXa1s compared to the QSC K8s.  EV dropped the ball on the ZXa1 in my opinion.

Bob Goodwin

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 12:31:26 PM »

It seems that the Zx1's have had great reviews and a good run. Made me anxious to check out the "new" ZxA1's. I did a pretty long comparison against the K8's with recorded music as well as with an acoustic and a vocal. Alone the ZxA1 wasn't bad. Very prominent vocals and probably good for monitor duty. Compared to the K8's they were weak. The K8 was way smoother to the point that the ZxA1 was wearing on me. made me concerned about ear fatigue in a long haul.

I'm actually leaning towards the SxA360's at the moment. (Got a great price) and selling off the K8's. Just trying to figure out this 65 x 65 horn pattern for FOH for an acoustic solo to trio.

The Zx1's woulld not be a consideration for "me" for what you want to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.