ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: need some subwoofer guidance  (Read 13676 times)

Jared Alonge

need some subwoofer guidance
« on: March 10, 2011, 04:24:19 PM »

hey guys, me and my friends do huge teen dances and our next one is in cleveland. were looking at getting 2000+ kids in a room thats 160x250 feet and has a little over 30' ceilings. we want to get enough bass that you can noticeably hear it bumping from out in the parking lot. In our research we have come up with Mccauley M88s to be the best route to go, however were not sure what to do amp wise, i guess what im asking is what are some subwoofers that will give us what we are looking for bass wise and then ill go from there about amps. we already have 4 jbl 625s, a cerwinvega cva 21 powered sub and 2 15" jbl eon subs. mids and highs wise, we think we are fine with sound, but we want to have A LOT more bass so going from what we already have, we want a lot more. thank you for any information and experience you have

Tracy Garner

Re: need some subwoofer guidance
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 04:53:59 PM »

Rent a system and that way you don't have to waste your energy on sound equipment. This will leave you plenty of time to do your promotion and do the actual performance.

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 04:59:18 PM »

hey guys, me and my friends do huge teen dances and our next one is in cleveland. were looking at getting 2000+ kids in a room thats 160x250 feet and has a little over 30' ceilings. we want to get enough bass that you can noticeably hear it bumping from out in the parking lot. In our research we have come up with Mccauley M88s to be the best route to go, however were not sure what to do amp wise, i guess what im asking is what are some subwoofers that will give us what we are looking for bass wise and then ill go from there about amps. we already have 4 jbl 625s, a cerwinvega cva 21 powered sub and 2 15" jbl eon subs. mids and highs wise, we think we are fine with sound, but we want to have A LOT more bass so going from what we already have, we want a lot more. thank you for any information and experience you have

For a high energy dance event for 2000+, go and hire a professional outfit.

If you really want to do it yourselves, at least 4 x M88s per side and some decent top boxes. Make sure you splay the tops to avoid comb filtering. For amps look at Lab Gruppen fp6400 or better or Powersoft K10s.

I really think you would do better to hire somebody local with the kind of system needed to do this - this is not a small room, which means it is not a small gig.

Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 08:01:39 PM »

Rent a system and that way you don't have to waste your energy on sound equipment. This will leave you plenty of time to do your promotion and do the actual performance.

Hire 16x EM Quake subs with Powersoft K10 amps + Stand back and enjoy ;)

Duncan McLennan

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 08:30:31 PM »

I'm going to second the comments about hiring in a system that's adequate for the gigs.

It's obvious that you don't really know much about large scale system design from your list of several different types of subwoofers. Are you trying to use them all at the same time?  It's possible you'll actually get LESS sound from using a number of different types of subwoofers thrown together at random.

How did you come to the conclusion that the McCauley M88 is the best sub for the job? There are plenty of ogod 2x18 subs out there.

No matter what loudspeaker you end up going with, I suggest you standardize on one model across your whole inventory. You can always take a single 2x18 to small gigs. Then take more to larger shows.

As for amplifiers, look for an amp with about 1.5X the RMS rating of the loudspeaker (at the speaker's impedance).

Jared Alonge

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 02:28:15 PM »

hmmm icic. well we are sort of a mobile dj business therefore we already have the equipment for mobile events and thats why we figured to just adding on with what we already have, obviously mobile PA system speakers isnt going to cut it haha. But after talking to someone at bassmax we were told we could get powered SSP 218 for 6000 watts for like $4k. I mean we plan on doing alot of these so thats why i want to just buy a system for the long hual rather than hire someone and their equipment everytime. that being said, 8 enclosures of those is $32K compared to like $72k for 8 McCauley M88s with i think 4 lab.gruppen plm14000's. Would anyone advise purchasing say one of these powered sub woofers just to get a good feel of how loud they can get before investing in more or will only one not come close to the finished product? thanks for taking the time to read this, its impossible to get straight answers from companies

Tracy Garner

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 05:08:35 PM »

My recommendation is to rent a complete system maybe using different companies or use one company that has three or four different systems you are considering purchasing.

OR you might want to visit some of the dance music festivals and get a better idea of what is out there. Winter Music Conference is happening while I'm writing this. You would get the opportunity to hear maybe 50 different systems with various venue sizes while enjoying the Miami weather.

You really have to audition a full system before you decide to buy a bunch of pieces.

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 05:36:11 PM »

Hire 16x EM Quake subs with Powersoft K10 amps + Stand back and enjoy ;)

Have you been playing with Jules and Merv, or Mike Bamber?
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 08:18:20 AM »

Rent a system that you think it will work and if it does then buy the same one.

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:04:26 AM »

Have you been playing with Jules and Merv, or Mike Bamber?

Both lol and have even worked for Mike using all of his and Merv's.... lot of fun for sure

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:04:26 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.