ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley TH-118 review  (Read 35527 times)

Pascal Pincosy

Re: Danley TH-118 review
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 07:00:09 PM »

Frederik Rosenkj
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

Dave Rickard

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 10:43:08 PM »

Rory Buszka wrote on Mon, 21 June 2010 18:20

In fairness, the difference between Danley and Bassmaxx is that in the case of Bassmaxx, the damage is already done; they've pigeon-holed themselves as a DJ brand (top-tier, but still a DJ brand) right on their own website, with features like "DJs raving on Bassmaxx" and "Ultra Fest 2009". Danley isn't there yet; they at least seem to be doing well in the installed sound market, though their products could benefit from a cosmetic facelift, like custom-punched grilles. These things don't increase performance, but they do increase perceived value.

The only people who wouldn't benefit from a small price increase across the Danley product line are the people who are just barely able to afford Danley gear as things currently stand. Danley's existing customer base would benefit because the value of their investment just went up, and fewer people can play in their league. Prospective Danley customers would feel they're buying into a more exclusive club (closer to the level of the larger brands like EAW and JBL), and are buying a product that's of greater value. And, of course, Danley would benefit from an improved brand image (since fewer of the people who have no business owning gear of that level would actually end up owning and misusing it; witness the tragedy of the Peavey brand) and increased profit.

What is it with you giving unsolicited business advice to Danley again?  Now you add Bassmaxx to your list of companies whose business models don't measure up to your expectations.  Too bad Hartley Peavey didn't have you around when he started, eh?

The need to vicariously "fix" other companies is strange, especially from someone with precious little expertise to offer.  Didn't you learn your lesson last time?  

Don't start down this road again and have to become [x] again. This time you can't delete all your posts.
http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/122838/503/#msg_ 122838

Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Rory Buszka

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 06:40:29 PM »

Dave, I don't see why my expressing an opinion or observation about a company or its products/marketing/technology/etc. should bother you one bit unless you have some grounds to disagree (and then by all means do so) or unless you have some large vested interest (in which case you'd better come up with a real counterargument quickly instead of trying to attack my legitimacy). The Internet is a place that very nearly anyone can go to express their opinions, and in my opinion, a glowing review from a DJ who owns ONE TH-118 doesn't do very much to improve the image of the Danley brand unless the target market of the Danley brand is DJs who intend to purchase only one box. I could be way off, but I don't think that's exactly Danley's target market. So while the positive comments from those customers are nice, they carry very little weight when a large system provider or installation contractor is considering whether to purchase a large inventory or carry the brand.

Regarding Bassmaxx and Peavey: Bassmaxx may make fantastic speakers for every conceivable application and which are well suited to every type of musical program, but a visitor to their web site might never have any idea, since their current website screams "We design for and sell to DJs; DJs-R-Us" and this very topic has come up in another thread. This is an opportunity for Bassmaxx to improve -- they should remove references to DJ end-users in prominent locations on their web site and hide those references somewhere else, such as a testimonials page, unless they're satisfied with being pigeon-holed as a gold-plated DJ brand. They ought to use that valuable front-page real estate for product information. And Peavey makes some excellent pro-level gear, but the very fact that their brand name is associated with weekend warrior and garage band end-users will prevent them from ever gaining meaningful traction at the varsity level, no matter how competent their Versarray rigs are or how many events they sponsor. They cannot simultaneously occupy both markets, and instead IMO they ought to make use of their Crest Audio brand, which does have pro-level clout, to market the upper-echelon speaker systems they seem to want to produce. In pro audio, brand positioning is vital, crucial, and critical to success at a particular price point, because it helps the consumer have some idea of what performance/quality/support they will get, and every manufacturer who has attempted to break the mold in that regard by trying to serve all levels of the pro audio market from a single brand has historically done poorly and is continuing to do poorly, with perhaps the exception of JBL, and that's because the JBL brand still has a lot of reputation left to be frittered away on MI-level product.

Regarding my abrupt exit from this forum's politics in 2007, I didn't think it made sense for me to stick by my controversial opinions at the expense of membership on this forum, because at that point I thought that membership was of some value to my professional development, but that viewpoint is very rapidly on the decline in my mind. (And while my personal desire is to see Danley succeed, I still think their branding could use a little work. It's distinctive, but that's all, and Walt Disney still wants his 'D' back, but I can respect the company's desire to focus on products and not marketing at this point.) In hindsight, I regret compromising my opinions for the sake of popularity, though I still think it was prudent to lay low for a while after that big blow-up.
Best Regards,

Rory Buszka
(The Gearmonger)

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Dave Rickard

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 02:01:01 AM »

Rory Buszka wrote on Sun, 27 June 2010 16:40

Dave, I don't see why my expressing an opinion or observation about a company or its products/marketing/technology/etc. should bother you one bit unless you have some grounds to disagree (and then by all means do so) or unless you have some large vested interest (in which case you'd better come up with a real counterargument quickly instead of trying to attack my legitimacy). The Internet is a place that very nearly anyone can go to express their opinions, and in my opinion, a glowing review from a DJ who owns ONE TH-118 doesn't do very much to improve the image of the Danley brand unless the target market of the Danley brand is DJs who intend to purchase only one box. I could be way off, but I don't think that's exactly Danley's target market. So while the positive comments from those customers are nice, they carry very little weight when a large system provider or installation contractor is considering whether to purchase a large inventory or carry the brand.

Regarding Bassmaxx and Peavey: Bassmaxx may make fantastic speakers for every conceivable application and which are well suited to every type of musical program, but a visitor to their web site might never have any idea, since their current website screams "We design for and sell to DJs; DJs-R-Us" and this very topic has come up in another thread. This is an opportunity for Bassmaxx to improve -- they should remove references to DJ end-users in prominent locations on their web site and hide those references somewhere else, such as a testimonials page, unless they're satisfied with being pigeon-holed as a gold-plated DJ brand. They ought to use that valuable front-page real estate for product information. And Peavey makes some excellent pro-level gear, but the very fact that their brand name is associated with weekend warrior and garage band end-users will prevent them from ever gaining meaningful traction at the varsity level, no matter how competent their Versarray rigs are or how many events they sponsor. They cannot simultaneously occupy both markets, and instead IMO they ought to make use of their Crest Audio brand, which does have pro-level clout, to market the upper-echelon speaker systems they seem to want to produce. In pro audio, brand positioning is vital, crucial, and critical to success at a particular price point, because it helps the consumer have some idea of what performance/quality/support they will get, and every manufacturer who has attempted to break the mold in that regard by trying to serve all levels of the pro audio market from a single brand has historically done poorly and is continuing to do poorly, with perhaps the exception of JBL, and that's because the JBL brand still has a lot of reputation left to be frittered away on MI-level product.

Regarding my abrupt exit from this forum's politics in 2007, I didn't think it made sense for me to stick by my controversial opinions at the expense of membership on this forum, because at that point I thought that membership was of some value to my professional development, but that viewpoint is very rapidly on the decline in my mind. (And while my personal desire is to see Danley succeed, I still think their branding could use a little work. It's distinctive, but that's all, and Walt Disney still wants his 'D' back, but I can respect the company's desire to focus on products and not marketing at this point.) In hindsight, I regret compromising my opinions for the sake of popularity, though I still think it was prudent to lay low for a while after that big blow-up.

I guess you still don't get it.

Have fun, good luck.
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Reggie Kendrick

• http://www.channelliveproductions.com
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 03:05:19 PM »

Well, I just got home with a new addition to the family... my 2nd TH-118.

I've got them coupled in my rectangular-shaped basement and the output is ridiculous!  I first turned the sensitivity knob up on amp channel 1.  Of course the bass was sick but then I turned up the 2nd amp channel and the bass was deafening, thunderous and all those other good superlatives.  I was nowhere near the limit thresholds and had to turn it down.  My neighbors were all at work but my immediate neighbor just had a baby and I'm sure she could feel it... don't want my babies to wake her baby  Very Happy

I'm officially good on my sound setup.  I may want to get another DSP.  I want one on with the ability to inverse polarity, no turnoff thump + longer delay capability.

I'll be taking both subs to my residency this weekend and putting them inline to augment their sound system.  

Thanx Ivan for taking time out of your schedule to demo the Synergy stuff and answer questions.

ROSS (DEAN) WELLS

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 01:07:33 PM »

You get used to it after a while. The minor shame is more than mitigated by the looks of awes when people hear them used properly. [/quote]

As I have eluded to in previous posts in other threads;
I'm left somehow wondering WHO CARES what silly little badge is hot glued to mine/your/their rig...

Deployed properly, for given price awarded, sounds good (enough, see price awarded), No beating chest gorilla style needed....

Peavey and Bassmaxx et al may have tapped into something you big boys miss..

Alot of aspiring DJ's spend ALOT of money building and expanding their rigs..

Witness; There is a certain chain store, with a showroom full of bronze/silver/gold " DJ " level gear, in most major cities nationwide, probably around the corner from you.

Wouldn't it be funny if the rider for given artist SPECIFIED Bassmaxx because they know all the hot DJ's are spinning their hit(s) on them every night at ground zero??

"I only have to lift them for a few minutes per gig, but I have to listen to them all night."   Matt Johnson

"Being professional to a fault gets me more gigs than any piece of equipment ever could."   Bennett Prescott

MOJAVESOUND @ yahoo.com

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2010, 11:36:56 PM »

LOL. That's the first time I've heard someone refer to Peavy and Bassmaxx in a similar vein. Ross, just so you have an idea of who and what Bassmaxx is:

http://www.bassmaxx.com/index.php?option=com_content&tas k=view&id=28&Itemid=53

PS Bassmaxx is not sold at Guitar Center.
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 10:33:21 AM »

Pascal Pincosy wrote on Wed, 13 October 2010 22:36

LOL. That's the first time I've heard someone refer to Peavy and Bassmaxx in a similar vein. Ross, just so you have an idea of who and what Bassmaxx is:

PS Bassmaxx is not sold at Guitar Center.

I bet they wish they were...  Laughing  While I wouldn't expect them to admit that publicly.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up