ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley TH-118 review  (Read 35531 times)

Reggie Kendrick

• http://www.channelliveproductions.com
Danley TH-118 review
« on: June 08, 2010, 12:15:38 PM »

If you like the sound of the TH-115, you'll definitely like the TH-118.  I'm posting my personal review(s) in the review thread.

Original:      http://blog.channelliveproductions.com/2010/05/26/-danley-th 118-review-.aspx

Updated:      http://blog.channelliveproductions.com/2010/06/06/-danley-th 118-review-update--.aspx

The updated review is me taking it to the club I spin at in Atlanta on Friday and Saturday nights.  The management mentioned perhaps me bringing it in every week... no way!  Not at 160 lbs and 2 flights of stairs.   Laughing  I'll probably take it again this weekend as I'll have a Crown MA9000i powering the sub.  We'll see what difference in sound that makes compared to the bridged QSC PL325.

Silas Pradetto

Re: Danley TH-118 review
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 12:17:24 PM »

You didn't mention a high pass on the sub. Did you use one?

Reggie Kendrick

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 02:13:20 PM »

I get HPF and LPF mixed up sometimes.

Sub:
HPF = 26.5Hz (24dB Butterworth)
LPF = 85Hz (24dB Butterworth)

House system:
HPF = 90Hz (24dB Butterworth)

There was a tiny bit of overlap between the sub and house system but it sounded better than LPF'ng the sub at 80Hz.

Reggie Kendrick

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 09:35:32 AM »

I used the TH-118 with the MA9000i last night... WOW!  Shocked  Proper power makes a difference in sound...

Not that I'm blowing things up but I'm not coming near the amp clip point like I was with the PL325.  Thanx to all that recommended 2-channel power over the past bridging solution I was using.  I'll be playing with my limit settings on the DriveRack today to insure everything is set properly for this new amp.

Franz Francis

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 09:03:35 AM »

After you figure out the limiter threshold, apply a little EQ to taste.  A parametric EQ filter boost in the 30-41 Hz area and the sub will BOOM!!! even louder.
One more step will be the phase alignment with the low mid of your mains (full range). This will involve some time and experimenting

Finally, as soon as you are financially capable:}:} get yourself another TH-118 they work better in pairs or more with the mouths coupled together

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 03:05:07 PM »

Franz Francis wrote on Sun, 13 June 2010 09:03

Finally, as soon as you are financially capable:}:} get yourself another TH-118 they work better in pairs or more with the mouths coupled together

Hey,

Just wanted to note that with the tapped horn that you don't see the slight extra LF extension that you would see with a normal horn sub when the mouth is made larger by coupling.  So coupling 2 TH-118's wouldn't have any effect beyond the normal ~6dB in output you see with any speaker where you get have complete summation.

That is one cool thing about the tapped horn is it is designed to get the lowest LF corner out of the smallest box, so it is already optimized for that.

But I would still say getting another TH-118 is a great idea, since headroom is great.  Wink

Take Care,
Phil
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 04:28:50 PM »

Phil Lewandowski wrote on Sun, 13 June 2010 15:05

Hey,

Just wanted to note that with the tapped horn that you don't see the slight extra LF extension that you would see with a normal horn sub when the mouth is made larger by coupling.  So coupling 2 TH-118's wouldn't have any effect beyond the normal ~6dB in output you see with any speaker where you get have complete summation.

That is one cool thing about the tapped horn is it is designed to get the lowest LF corner out of the smallest box, so it is already optimized for that.

But I would still say getting another TH-118 is a great idea, since headroom is great.  Wink

Take Care,
Phil

You are correct about the additional cabinet changing the loading and extension of the tapped horn-specifically the TH118 (and others like it).

However you DO get additional gains with more cabinets stacked up.  This comes from the additional boundary area (created by the front of the cabinet that is not part of the actual exit) that acts as the old "barn doors" of days past.

This is because with the boundaries the energy is more "focused/directed" forward.

Now the effect of this will vary with the physical size of the stack.

That is the whole idea behind the TH812-and if you use a pair of the TH812 (each turned 90
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 05:35:05 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Sun, 13 June 2010 16:28

Phil Lewandowski wrote on Sun, 13 June 2010 15:05

Hey,

Take Care,
Phil

You are correct about the additional cabinet changing the loading and extension of the tapped horn-specifically the TH118 (and others like it).

However you DO get additional gains with more cabinets stacked up.  This comes from the additional boundary area (created by the front of the cabinet that is not part of the actual exit) that acts as the old "barn doors" of days past.

This is because with the boundaries the energy is more "focused/directed" forward.

Now the effect of this will vary with the physical size of the stack.

That is the whole idea behind the TH812-and if you use a pair of the TH812 (each turned 90
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 07:01:24 PM »

You are exactly correct.  The low freq corner (as referenced to the sensitivity) doesn't get any lower with added cabinets (as with a regular horn), but the low freq do get louder-which can make the overall sound to appear to be going lower.

It is all where your reference is.

The added "wings" do give more forward directivity than a regular horn would have.

Everything in audio is a tradeoff.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Rory Buszka

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 09:21:51 PM »

Maybe it's time for Danley to up their prices before they risk becoming a gold-plated DJ brand like Bassmaxx. Electronic music doesn't provide the best basis for fidelity and musicality claims.
Best Regards,

Rory Buszka
(The Gearmonger)

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up