ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Retarded musicians at the club  (Read 25955 times)

Sam Zuckerman

• Baltimore, MD
Re: Retarded musicians at the club
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2011, 11:34:15 PM »

Lots have been said, but I am going to say what I will.

I check drums first for two reasons:
1. They take the most time. As said before, 8-12 mics. (This doesn't mean they are most important)
2. I start with drums on my console. Ch 1-8. I then check 9 (bass) 10(guitar) and so on... If I can, I like to move from channels 1-Whatever in order. Drums are even my first two sub groups. That doesn't mean I consider them most important.

This means vocals last. Hell, I don't usually check vocals (aside from line check) until they play a song in sound check. Why? Because most vocalists don't actually SING until they are with music. I put my mix together here.

I would like to add that whomever was complaining about checking drums first, the drums are one instrument. If I hear 12 different mics then I know I am in the presence of a bad engineer. If I hear a mix centered around drums it could be a talented engineer, just a bit misguided in the art mix.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2011, 09:06:54 AM »

I guess big Mick doesn't qualify as a soundman then...

And no studio engineer knows anything about mixing a band either than...

I've never seen a good tech start with anything except drums (assuming there ARE drums), seeing as how the rhythm section is the foundation...

I've worked with "studio guys" that mix well in the studio but crash and burn in a live setting; Big Mick *does* play an instrument or 2 but does not perform; I start with whomever is on stage at the moment unless there is a specific reason to not do so (like IEM mix building... I just follow along).

YMMV and all that...

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Felix Werner

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2011, 10:37:02 PM »

and you said start, not mix
[/quote]

I said mix. You're quoting two sources and crediting one. But, whatever.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2011, 01:11:10 AM »

watt do you call a drummer that plays wittout drome(drum) sticks ? slaphappy !!!

Mike Reilly

• Cleveland, OH
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2011, 11:25:44 AM »

I start with the first person on stage who'll pay attention and actually work with me.  That said, I seldom get more than line checks.......

Yup.  Summer Festival Season, here we go!!

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2011, 12:08:20 PM »

Lots have been said, but I am going to say what I will.

I check drums first for two reasons:
1. They take the most time. As said before, 8-12 mics. (This doesn't mean they are most important)
2. I start with drums on my console. Ch 1-8. I then check 9 (bass) 10(guitar) and so on... If I can, I like to move from channels 1-Whatever in order. Drums are even my first two sub groups. That doesn't mean I consider them most important.

This means vocals last. Hell, I don't usually check vocals (aside from line check) until they play a song in sound check. Why? Because most vocalists don't actually SING until they are with music. I put my mix together here.

I would like to add that whomever was complaining about checking drums first, the drums are one instrument. If I hear 12 different mics then I know I am in the presence of a bad engineer. If I hear a mix centered around drums it could be a talented engineer, just a bit misguided in the art mix.

I always try to do vocals first!  Why?  Open vocal mics on stage will alter the sound of everything else as they pick up as little of everything.   Seems kinda backwards to set everything to perfection and then open up a bunch of mics that will alter the entire balance of what's going on on stage.

Keyboards and other stuff that is unable to make sound on their own also get checked early as those musicians are screwed without sound from the system.

Sam Zuckerman

• Baltimore, MD
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2011, 03:25:19 PM »

I always try to do vocals first!  Why?  Open vocal mics on stage will alter the sound of everything else as they pick up as little of everything.   Seems kinda backwards to set everything to perfection and then open up a bunch of mics that will alter the entire balance of what's going on on stage.

Keyboards and other stuff that is unable to make sound on their own also get checked early as those musicians are screwed without sound from the system.
I always do my mic check with most mics open. I work with the same rig often enough and in the same space that I can pretty much set my gain trim about where I want it. Plus I always ring out my monitors before the band even gets there so I already have a bit qued up in the wedge too.

I like to get the band to play at least a half song so I can account for all of the stage volume before I get a crowd in and everything changes even more.

That said, I'm glad we're on the same page about mic checking with mics muted (or open as the case may be.)  ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2011, 03:25:19 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.