ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trailer Packing  (Read 10469 times)

Rob Spence

Re: Trailer Packing
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 12:17:59 AM »

David Sheldon wrote on Wed, 02 June 2010 20:39

Spare Tire, Jack, Lug Wrench

For a tandem axle trailer, "Lynx Levelers" replace the jack and come in handy for lots of other things.
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Matt Harris

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 01:15:58 AM »

I have been through about 4 trailers due to a growing rig. Two things I have learned, keep the bearings packed (learned that the hard way) and don't buy anything with Luan sidewalls. I punched so many holes in the luan sidewalls it looked like swiss cheese.  3/8' Sidewalls are the way to go for audio gear.

My Pace American 8x20 is tough as nails. It has a 6"  double I-beam frame, which is stronger than the cheaper tube frames. I busted a tube frame at the weld joint before.

BTW the bearing buddies AKA EZ lube axles still need to be pulled out and have the grease removed and re-packed once every 18 months or so. The  Dexter axel and EZ lube manual that came with my trailer mentioned this.

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 03:03:54 AM »

Matt Harris wrote on Thu, 03 June 2010 22:15

.... and don't buy anything with Luan sidewalls. I punched so many holes in the luan sidewalls it looked like swiss cheese.  3/8' Sidewalls are the way to go for audio gear.

MHO - E-track, double rows, will prevent punch outs.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Marlow Wilson

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 08:28:47 AM »

Tony "T" Tissot wrote on Fri, 04 June 2010 03:03

Matt Harris wrote on Thu, 03 June 2010 22:15

.... and don't buy anything with Luan sidewalls. I punched so many holes in the luan sidewalls it looked like swiss cheese.  3/8' Sidewalls are the way to go for audio gear.

MHO - E-track, double rows, will prevent punch outs.

+1.  When I bought my trailer used, the previous owner had some rubber/plastic track on the floor to help get ATV's and snowmobiles into the trailer.  I pulled that from the floor and now have it running against the wall just above the first run of etrack.  It sticks out about a 1/4" past the etrack so that gear doesn't band against the track on its way in and out.  It also helps the stuff that doesn't have covers.

Between that and the track my luan walls are mostly covered.

I agree though, if you are running your trailer 'naked' the luan will die a short life.
I should probably be doing something else right now....

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 08:49:08 AM »

Good to know on the bearing buddies. They were just packed when I got the trailer, that was 9 months ago. I imagine I will be repacking them some point this summer.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 12:02:55 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Fri, 04 June 2010 08:49

Good to know on the bearing buddies. They were just packed when I got the trailer, that was 9 months ago. I imagine I will be repacking them some point this summer.

Hey Benjamin,

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but when I first got my 6x10 trailer it was very useful having this Sherline tongue weight scale to make sure I was getting the proper tongue weight in that 10-15% region.

http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

Take Care,
Phil
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 12:18:10 PM »

Phil Lewandowski wrote on Fri, 04 June 2010 09:02

Hey Benjamin,

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but when I first got my 6x10 trailer it was very useful having this Sherline tongue weight scale to make sure I was getting the proper tongue weight in that 10-15% region.

Take Care,
Phil

Nice -

(of course this assumes I actually know the approximate loaded weight of the trailer  Shocked )
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 12:41:10 PM »

Tony "T" Tissot wrote on Fri, 04 June 2010 12:18

Hey Benjamin,

Take Care,
Phil

Nice -

(of course this assumes I actually know the approximate loaded weight of the trailer  Shocked )

Laughing   Ya I did the same thing as Art, and listed out all my pack items in Excel and their weights and then add that to the trailer weight and I was good to go!

Phil
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Art Welter

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 03:03:09 PM »

Phil Lewandowski wrote on Fri, 04 June 2010 10:41

Tony "T" Tissot wrote on Fri, 04 June 2010 12:18

Hey Benjamin,
Take Care,
Phil

Nice -

Laughing   Ya I did the same thing as Art, and listed out all my pack items in Excel and their weights and then add that to the trailer weight and I was good to go!
Phil

I figured out how much overweight my load was for the original tires only after shredding one while going through a twisty downhill mountain curve (well) over the posted speed limit.

Appropriately, Black Sabbath’s “Crazy Train” was playing on the radio as I pulled off to change the tire Rolling Eyes .

A sign now says “motorcycle death curve” and several crosses commemorating their deaths have been planted just outside the guardrail.

Art Welter

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 03:26:56 PM »

Cool tool, Phil. I should first make my way to some truck scales and see where I'm at to begin with.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.