ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Trailer Packing  (Read 10473 times)

Jeff Wheeler

Re: Trailer Packing
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 01:27:45 PM »

My trailer will be about 20% over-loaded once I buy two more subs.  I have yet to decide what to do about this.  Obviously I need a larger vehicle; but in the mean time, I am not sure how much weight to move from the trailer to the truck.  In theory, it's a half-ton truck; in practice I am spooked about adding a bunch of weight to the rear axle given the weight of the trailer tongue.  Either way, I will soon have to decide what my next vehicle is going to be -- bigger trailer or box truck.

Two years ago I thought, nea, I'll never need more than 1900 pounds of PA.  Rolling Eyes
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 03:59:50 PM »

Alot of good stuff posted. So as I understand it, we want most of he weight in front of and on the axles, correct? As Art mentioned, dont split weight front and back! I dont know about the rest of you guys but I wouldnt mind seeing some photos to give a better idea of your set up.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Marlow Wilson

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 04:35:27 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Wed, 26 May 2010 15:59

Alot of good stuff posted. So as I understand it, we want most of he weight in front of and on the axles, correct? As Art mentioned, dont split weight front and back! I dont know about the rest of you guys but I wouldnt mind seeing some photos to give a better idea of your set up.

Photos won't do a great job of showing weight distribution. My four tops way almost as much as 6 subs in a much smaller foot print.  My two 2500 watt ups's in a retired mixer case are deceivingly heavy as well.

The reason I position heavy stuff just in, front of the axle (about of foot or so) is to make sure I still have enough tongue weight for the inevitable 'few' things that get tossed in at the end.  In Art's 18' trailer the fore and aft positioning is more complex than a 8/10/12 footer. You could just calculate the weight per area of your cases and equipment and try to position the heavier stuff over the axle.  You will also get a feel for what works and doesn't work after doing it a few times.

Best of luck,

Marlow
I should probably be doing something else right now....

Art Welter

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 01:32:38 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Wed, 26 May 2010 13:59

Concentrate the greatest weight above the axles, load the rest so it results in 10% tongue weight.

This is an exceptionally heavy load for a 5x8, but it handles quite well.

index.php/fa/30420/0/

Art Welter

Mike McNany

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 02:31:02 PM »

I like the diagrams and weight/packing lists. Glad to see I'm not the only one with a similar attention to detail when it comes to trailer packing. I even do the step on the bathroom scale emptyhanded and then holding various cases of cables to get a good idea of my various packed weights  Very Happy

Art, Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread. What's the GTWR of that 5x8? I keep the trailer weight and GTWR on my pack list to keep it always in mind.

Mike McNany

Doug Maye

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 08:07:23 AM »

The responses so far have been pretty much on the mark. One thing that I always do is to stop and look. Taking a peek at the tow vehicle and the leaf springs on the trailer is always a good idea. Putting to much weight in the front can lift weight off the tow vehicles front tires. Thats never a good thing. Also, it can be just as critical to watch the weight from top to bottom. A top heavy trailer can be just as dangerous as a trailer with to much weight in the rear. Loading a trailer correctly is always time well spent, and tough to remember at load out.
at one time I was foolish enough to think I had seen it all.

Art Welter

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 11:03:40 AM »

Mike McNany wrote on Thu, 27 May 2010 12:31

I like the diagrams and weight/packing lists. Glad to see I'm not the only one with a similar attention to detail when it comes to trailer packing. I even do the step on the bathroom scale emptyhanded and then holding various cases of cables to get a good idea of my various packed weights  Very Happy

Art, Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread. What's the GTWR of that 5x8? I keep the trailer weight and GTWR on my pack list to keep it always in mind.

Mike McNany

I don't think my trailer had a rating sticker, but it is definitely overweight.

drewgandy

• http://gandymethod.com
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 12:10:02 AM »

Art Welter wrote on Wed, 26 May 2010 09:09

I towed my 18” tandem axle from north of Duluth down to Albuquerque, loaded to about 6000 pounds...
Art Welter

Just how tall and wide is this trailer? Wink

Art Welter

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2010, 03:16:34 PM »

drewgandy wrote on Sun, 30 May 2010 22:10

Art Welter wrote on Wed, 26 May 2010 09:09

I towed my 18” tandem axle from north of Duluth down to Albuquerque, loaded to about 6000 pounds...
Art Welter

Just how tall and wide is this trailer? Wink

That 18 foot trailer is about 82” interior height average, with a curved roof. Standard interior box width of 91 inch. The volume contained is about 907 cubic feet, so a 6000 pound load is about 6.61 pounds per cubic feet.

My 5 x 8 trailer with the front “V” box addition contains only about 249 cubic feet. Loaded with  3203 pounds of gear that is 12.86 pounds per cubic foot, almost double the weight per volume in the 18 foot trailer  Shocked .

If  loaded  with the same type of gear as in my small trailer, the weight of the gear would be 11,664 pounds.

The old Astro would not have liked that load here in the mountains Sad .

Art Welter

David Sheldon

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 08:39:44 PM »

Spare Tire, Jack, Lug Wrench
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.