ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Trailer Packing  (Read 10381 times)

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

Trailer Packing
« on: May 25, 2010, 06:41:21 PM »

Lately there have been several threads regarding trailers, and I thought it'd be nice to have some tips and suggestions for safely and efficiently loading a trailer. I know there are alot of variables, but the logistics of properly distributing weight and whatnot are still applied. I think I have a good plot for my 6x12, and it pulls well, but I'm no pro and dont have alot of knowledge on the topic.

What are the do's and donts, suggestions, and tricks?
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Jeff Hague

• http://www.richmondproaudio.com
Re: Trailer Packing
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 07:03:12 PM »

Put the heaviest stuff in the front of the trailer...
"I want to die like my grandfather, peacefully in his sleep - not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car." (Unknown)
http://www.richmondproaudio.com

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:05:34 PM »

Front meaning the hitch end? Thats how I do it normally. Last week I had to take some extra speakers I needed (borrowed) and put them in the back, and noticed a big (not good) difference.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Jeff Hague

• http://www.richmondproaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 07:10:17 PM »

Yes, sorry - front meaning the hitch end. You want most of the weight ahead of the axle where the hitch seems to have some control over lateral movement. I dont know the physics behind it but I do know (from experience) that if you have most of the weight behind the axle, it will fishtail - wildly if you try to go fast...
"I want to die like my grandfather, peacefully in his sleep - not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car." (Unknown)
http://www.richmondproaudio.com

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »

Jeff Hague wrote on Wed, 26 May 2010 01:10

Yes, sorry - front meaning the hitch end. You want most of the weight ahead of the axle where the hitch seems to have some control over lateral movement. I dont know the physics behind it but I do know (from experience) that if you have most of the weight behind the axle, it will fishtail - wildly if you try to go fast...

In Europe the law says that the hitch should have a downward force when parked of no more than I believe 100 Kg (about 200 LBS).  The unscientific rule of thumb is:  If you can't lift the hitch you need to move some weight further back.

Considering this, I wouldn't unconditionally follow your advice.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 07:33:05 PM »

Enclosed trailers should usually be loaded with approximately 60% of the weight in the front half of the trailer.  

You should also typically have 10%-15% of the weight of the trailer as tongue weight.  i.e.  7000# trailer should be between 700~1050# tongue weight.  

You should have at least one axle of brakes regardless of your load and should have two axles of brakes on tandem axle trailers over 3500#.

In my state, trailers with a GVW of 10,000# or more only need one axle of brakes but those breaks must be capable of handling the entire GVW of the trailer.  

You should use a weight distributing hitch with appropriately sized springs.  Use a sway control system if you can not load 60% of the weight in the front.

Use high quality tires that are rated for more than the GVW of the trailer.

Also when you repack your bearings, (you do pack your bearings occasionally don't you?) use synthetic grease, it is way better and will keep your bearings much cooler and save you on gas milage due to the lower friction.  It can make a very significant difference.
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 07:40:36 PM »

My bearings pack themselves...I only need to put more in like once a year or two I was told when I bought it.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

John Cameron

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 07:41:50 PM »

Kristian Johnsen wrote on Tue, 25 May 2010 19:24

Jeff Hague wrote on Wed, 26 May 2010 01:10

In Europe the law says that the hitch should have a downward force when parked of no more than I believe 100 Kg (about 200 LBS).  The unscientific rule of thumb is:  If you can't lift the hitch you need to move some weight further back.

Considering this, I wouldn't unconditionally follow your advice.

I would feel uncomfortable if my trailer only had ~200lbs of hitch weight loaded!! That spec might be for an empty 2000lb trailer??

I vote for 10-15% tongue weight.

John
JBL VRX / SRX / SR / Eon-g2
LSR4328P + LSR4312SP -studio
Yorkville Elite 2000EX
2-PL236
4-IT6K
Studiolive 24.4.2
Yamaha Digital
Rode / Shure / Sennheiser / Neumann / AKG

Joe Brugnoni

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 08:01:21 PM »

Yes, I think if the tongue weight was that low It might wag like a dogs tail when you pull it.
Be nice to everyone as you can learn something from anybody

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 09:06:47 PM »

I want e-track but it's too low on my "priority list" to have bought it yet.  So when my trailer isn't totally full, I have to lay some things down to keep them from shifting or falling during transit.  Even with two double 18s, four double 15s, two racks, a big trunk, four wedges, and two mic bags, I have all the double 15s laying down right now to keep the objects around them from walking around.  I really need to buy covers for them soon because this is where most of my scratches and dings come from.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 16 queries.