ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ckecked Baggage PA system  (Read 5192 times)

Jay Barracato

Re: Ckecked Baggage PA system
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 08:21:41 AM »

I just noticed that you are in New Zealand, and I am not sure what your fly needs really are, but it occurred to me that what you are looking to fly with is the also probably the easiest to dry rent.

Here in the states, the airlines have really cut back on checked baggage, or upped the fees for additional bags/mass. I think the fees for bringing your own may outweigh the cost of rental for the same. Just a quick check of one airline here in the states, shows they now charge $25 each way for the first checked bag per ticket, and $35 for the second bag. Additional bags are $100, oversize/overweight bags are $150 each way.

Renting seems far more cost effective, at least up here in the states.

Jay
Jay Barracato
Solomons MD

Charlie Jeal

• http://www.beyondthedarkside.com
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 08:25:42 AM »

Moby (Mike Diack) wrote on Tue, 01 June 2010 12:57

Charlie Jeal wrote on Tue, 01 June 2010 03:01

How about a pair of PS10s with something like a 1u powersoft amp and the controller in a 2u rack? Far better quality than what's been mentioned and all told wouldnt be that heavy either.

Charlie

How does the PS10 compare against the SRX712M ?
M
(I see nobody sticking up for the Peaveys, so assume they are less than stellar performers)

I've never had the chance to compare the 2 but I'm pretty sure the PS10's can give the SRX712M a run for their money PS15s might be worth a look depending on budget as well, its just that PS10s are nice and compact.

Charlie
It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others !!

John B. Miller

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 08:49:29 AM »

Meyer UP-Junior, or UPJ-1P. No separate power/processing, sound fantastic, lightweight, no muss no fuss. Great re-sale value as well. Not cheap, however.

http://www.meyersound.com/pdf/products/ultraseries/upjunior_ ds_a.pdf

http://www.meyersound.com/pdf/products/ultraseries/upj-1p_ds .pdf
John B. Miller

AUDIOCRAFT

Waterloo, ON

Canada

Moby (Mike Diack)

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 04:27:47 PM »

Jay Barracato wrote on Wed, 02 June 2010 00:21

I just noticed that you are in New Zealand, and I am not sure what your fly needs really are, but it occurred to me that what you are looking to fly with is the also probably the easiest to dry rent.

Here in the states, the airlines have really cut back on checked baggage, or upped the fees for additional bags/mass. I think the fees for bringing your own may outweigh the cost of rental for the same. Just a quick check of one airline here in the states, shows they now charge $25 each way for the first checked bag per ticket, and $35 for the second bag. Additional bags are $100, oversize/overweight bags are $150 each way.

Renting seems far more cost effective, at least up here in the states.

Jay

Yep, the airlines over here have started doing the same thing - first bag free, second bag $15, third bag $50, more bags $150 each. Long gone are the days when I could trundle an 11 piece AV show around the country (including, a 10 foot screen, 60kg Barco projector and a rather weighty Yamaha PA) for just a nod and a wink to the check in people.
They also have reduced the bag size (25->23kg) and rip you an extra 100 per overweight bag.
Ahh the good old days....
M

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 12:53:44 PM »

For those kinds of prices I would be looking for an enthusiastic plane owner that would fly you around for the cost of fuel, or "hobbs time". Which is a per hour rate based on the Hobbs hour meter in the plane.

For PA on sticks, I'd be looking hard at the new ZX1A's. I haven't heard them yet, but the standard ZX1 sounds great, so I would imagine the powered one would too. Small, Light, loud, and a recognizable brand name for those types of clients. They are pretty cheap to boot!

gordon mcgregor

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 06:22:43 PM »

Zx1a gets my vote on the sound/cost/weight level however the cabinets need babying if your transporting them in bags and the horn driver has a distressing habit of snapping off the back of the horn if the speaker is dropped, with care and some hard foam inside the cabinet to support the back of the horn we've had good results with them, just a shame thatthey ae so fragile. GM
    No Madam I'm not your usual Gasfitter

Dan Richardson

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 10:50:33 PM »

Just did this. K12 in its original cardboard box is exactly 50 lbs & 72",
typical checked spec in the US. Southwest still gives 2 bags free.
Had to pay overweight on the 01V96, but you don't need that much mixer.
Local rent at the destination was going to be $3000 for the week.

3 of us traveling, personals all carryon, and we rented cables and stands.
Cost $200.
dut duruduttdurudutt dut dutt. I hate iphones.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.