ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me choose an external pre for an 01v96  (Read 6979 times)

Loren Aguey

Re: Help me choose an external pre for an 01v96
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 02:29:06 AM »

Don Davis wrote on Thu, 27 May 2010 13:36

We've been using the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 for external pres no problem. Despite what everyone thinks, it does run stand alone with a bios upgrade from Focusrite. I just set ours to clock off the 01v96 and haven't had any sync problems. The Pro40 does have 2 inputs on the front but the rest are on the rear. Its in the price range you're talking about.
I just convinced my friend who recently bought an 01V96 to get the ADA8000. It will do the job as well. Many people run down the quality of the pres but I guess it depends what you're doing with it. We are primarily live sound not recording so don't have a problem with it. Can't beat the price.

I also use the pro 40 with zero problems. Except getting the ableton recording software it comes with to function properly on my PC, but that has nothing to do with what I actually use it for.
I like my snare sound like I like my women...fat and punchy.

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 06:40:40 AM »

Craig.

It's a jungle of stuff out there - I'm spending long nights researching this stuff also!

They all have something "wrong"  Crying or Very Sad

I'm still waiting for one thats has

-Rear connections on all channels.
-Mic AND line in on every channel.
-Analog inserts.
-Outputs.
-Front panel meters.
-Low price.

Most have 3 or 4 out of that list.

One inexpensive pre that doesn't get a lot of attention is the tube one from ART.

I'm slowly leaning toward skipping the external pres and just purchasing a Brikworm digital snake system and be done with it.

Simon Coffin

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 12:06:50 PM »

Hi Craig,

I have a pair of Presonus Digimax96 connected to my 01v96 and can't say anything bad about them.  Their tone is smooth and they work well with all sorts of input levels, Line or Mic.  After a few years of regular use, they are still going strong earning me money everytime.      

They are connected to the Yamaha with ADAT for audio and Coax for clocking with the mixer as master.  I had some problems initially with cheap adat cables until I got some from Mediabridge Premium cables.  Haven't had a glitch since.

Since these pres are not made anymore they are probably within your price on Ebay.  Be careful as Presonus made several versions of the Digimax, mine have the external power supply and were their top of the line preamp at the time.

On a similar subject, the Alesis DEQ-830 8 channel EQ is a pretty slick way to give you 8 more analog outs on the Yamaha with full graphic eq.

Ciao
Simon    

Craig Basten

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 08:17:32 PM »

Simon Coffin wrote on Tue, 01 June 2010 11:06

On a similar subject, the Alesis DEQ-830 8 channel EQ is a pretty slick way to give you 8 more analog outs on the Yamaha with full graphic eq.

I have one of these which is why outputs didn't matter on the pre.  You're right, that is a pretty slick little box.  

Lots to choose from; I'm going to try a properly-terminated D8 tomorrow to see what happens.  If it works, I'll buy it, if not, I'll try some others.

After yet more reading, I did find a couple of people who were able to successfully slave the D8 to the Yamaha clock, IF it was terminated correctly.  No termination=no good.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Rick Stansby

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 08:48:30 PM »

We've been using the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 for external pres no problem. Despite what everyone thinks, it does run stand alone with a bios upgrade from Focusrite. I just set ours to clock off the 01v96 and haven't had any sync problems. The Pro40 does have 2 inputs on the front but the rest are on the rear. Its in the price range you're talking about.
I just convinced my friend who recently bought an 01V96 to get the ADA8000. It will do the job as well. Many people run down the quality of the pres but I guess it depends what you're doing with it. We are primarily live sound not recording so don't have a problem with it. Can't beat the price.

Can you use the outputs on the Pro 40?
Rick

Loren Aguey

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 08:55:26 PM »

Rick Stansby wrote on Tue, 01 June 2010 17:48

Can you use the outputs on the Pro 40?

Yes but they need to be patched to output signal from the adat inputs via the software that comes with it. Takes a couple minutes and only needs to be done once.

You can also patch it so it outputs signal from one of the analog inputs as well if you want a direct output.
I like my snare sound like I like my women...fat and punchy.

Rob Spence

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 11:30:09 PM »

I have a pair of Focusrite OctoPre units. You need to add the ADAT option to them (or find used ones with it like I did).

Only issue is that they run hot so a slot between them is good.
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Craig Basten

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 10:51:18 PM »

So I tried the Presonus D8 today and had good results.  In listening for a good long while I had no issues with clock sync using the desk as the master.

The setup was simple - I heeded the warnings I found and used a Canare cable and terminator on a T-connector.  No issues at all, in fact.

I think the message is pretty clear - terminate your wordclock cables, use good components to do it, and you shouldn't have problems.  I'll have it out on a show tomorrow, we'll see how this works in the real world as opposed to the bench.  Given the early success I'm not expecting problems.

Thanks for everyone's input, with any luck I'm done looking.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 20 queries.