ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: FOH Chairs  (Read 27134 times)

Collin Donohue

Re: FOH Chairs
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 05:22:23 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Fri, 28 May 2010 16:19

Collin Donohue wrote on Fri, 28 May 2010 16:08

Bennett.... As appealing as an armchair with drawers, cupholder and ottoman seems, I'm willing to be that most of my corporate clients might not want to see that at FOH!  Either that, or they'll want one too, and that's just more money to spend (unless I can find a way to bill for it!).

I'm definitely liking the drum throne idea... I'll have to test a few out and Guitar Center or something to see what seems nice.

Those Quick-Lok ones look nice too!  And that mixer/speaker/random folding stand looks like a really nice alternative to an EZTilt!

Sitting on a stool all day with no back is barely better than standing, and a FOH chair that doesn't swivel is off the list. If I'm going to go to the trouble of bringing a chair, it better be worth the effort.

Mac

Don't get me wrong.. If I get a drum throne, it will have a back and will be the closest thing to an office chair that I can find... Translation = it will have a big wide pad for my tired ass.

The next hurdle will be not having wheels on the chair... but 95% of the chairs I get now don't have wheels anyways!

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 05:25:12 PM »

Collin Donohue wrote on Fri, 28 May 2010 17:22

The next hurdle will be not having wheels on the chair... but 95% of the chairs I get now don't have wheels anyways!

Wouldn't you want one you bought for yourself to be better than what you have been provided that you feel you need to replace? (wow, that was a lot of "you"s)

Staples or Office Max often have the drafting chair on sale for $79 or $99.

Mac

Collin Donohue

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Fri, 28 May 2010 16:25

Wouldn't you want one you bought for yourself to be better than what you have been provided that you feel you need to replace? (wow, that was a lot of "you"s)

Staples or Office Max often have the drafting chair on sale for $79 or $99.

Mac

Anything with more than 1/2" of padding and any decent back support would be better than what we usually get (bulk hotel chairs, wood folding chairs, large Pelican cases).

And again, it's the trade-off between comfort and portability.  Many of our shows get loaded into a E-Series van... an office chair takes up too much space and is too easily-damaged.

Brian Bolly

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 05:36:11 PM »

Jason  J Raboin wrote on Fri, 28 May 2010 13:49

I also picked up one of these for the SC48...

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct= 27&sName=WS-550

I have the console sitting on it now at home and it seems durable enough.  I also like that the legs are individually adjustable so I can use it in a raked theater.  Well, that's the plan anyway.

Jason,

They do work well in raked theaters.  This is probably an 8 year old photo, but I'm sure that desk was much heavier than the SC48 is.  Even though the road case overhung the stand by quite a bit, I remember having to lean pretty hard on the doghouse to get it to even want to tip.  You should be just fine.   Smile

index.php/fa/30437/0/

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 01:00:40 AM »

+1 on the WS 550

Mine has held a variety of consoles, some of them heavier than the SC48 and the adjustable legs do work on most raked seating.  Sometimes the spacing between the "steps" isn't quite compatible but it works much of the time.

Someone donated one of those chair/stool things to the community music school where I help out.

Turns out they did so because the kept pinching their fingers adjusting the seat height into those notches.

It's comfortable enough and I like the foot rest.  Like many things a good case for it would weigh as much as it does and I don't think it would take well to being tossed around in a soft bag.
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
— Mark Twain

Pete Bansen

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 01:18:12 PM »

+1 on the Quik-Lok WS-550.  I have a couple of them that get a good bit of use.  

I made a 1/4" masonite top with a few 1/2" hardwood strips on the underside to stiffen it a little and keep the top from moving on the stand and cut an oval hole for carrying near one edge.  It's almost flat and packs easily with the stand - one of those things you take along even if you think you may not need it.  Works great when you're using a small mixer, a CD player and a couple of wireless mic receivers for a corporate presentation.  The independently adjustable legs are really handy on a raked floor.  

Greg Cameron

• http://www.cameronproaudio.com
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 03:36:09 PM »

index.php/fa/34845/0/
Cameron Pro Audio.

"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Pete Bansen

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 10:43:04 PM »

Outstanding!

David Stiles

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 11:36:09 PM »

Tim A Perry wrote on Wed, 26 May 2010 07:44

No mater what I take out I return to FOH to find some fat person from the audiance sitting in it.  Sad

too true bro!,,,even worse over here,,leave it unattended too long and u will find a small family of cambodians living under it ! Wink

Art Welter

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 07:18:28 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Fri, 28 May 2010 15:19

Collin Donohue wrote on Fri, 28 May 2010 16:08

Bennett.... As appealing as an armchair with drawers, cupholder and ottoman seems, I'm willing to be that most of my corporate clients might not want to see that at FOH!  Either that, or they'll want one too, and that's just more money to spend (unless I can find a way to bill for it!).

I'm definitely liking the drum throne idea... I'll have to test a few out and Guitar Center or something to see what seems nice.

Those Quick-Lok ones look nice too!  And that mixer/speaker/random folding stand looks like a really nice alternative to an EZTilt!

Sitting on a stool all day with no back is barely better than standing, and a FOH chair that doesn't swivel is off the list. If I'm going to go to the trouble of bringing a chair, it better be worth the effort.

Mac

Absolutely, and adjustable height is big on my list too.

To bad I didn't bag my chair before it got beat up. Hmm, now that I think about it, it was already beat before I modified it for road use..
index.php/fa/34855/0/

Printing FOH on your chair is fairly useless, it seems none of the creeps that "borrow" chairs can read  Rolling Eyes .
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 16 queries.