ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Where Do I Go?  (Read 9868 times)

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

Where Do I Go?
« on: May 16, 2010, 08:25:12 PM »

I really dont know what I need to do. I currently run sound as my main source of income, with a small SOS rig, and mostly bar bands. I would like to be busier, and work more, but I'm not sure what I need to do. I dont have the funds to get an SRX/Itech rig or similar, and of course bars/bands arent very understanding of how to properly pay a sound guy around here (Central Ohio). I have an older friend who does the same, but has much more gear and can do larger shows. He asks me to help him out from time to time, or will pass a gig to me if he is already booked. But, it just doesnt help enough. I'm 25 years old, and all of my experience has been for my own bands or gigs, aside from working with small local bands for the last 2 years.I'm not opposed to touring, house sound, school, or anything else that will "better" me in this industry. What do you suggest? How did you "larger" guys get to where you are?

I've searched, and read a few similar threads to get some ideas. If you think I've stupidly slacked off on my research, feel free not to post, opposed to telling me I'm an idiot. Thanks.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

John Reeve

Re: Where Do I Go?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 08:39:07 PM »

Work for other people who own the gear and book the gigs, moving to the largest market where you can find a roomate.

Or marry a physical therapist, school administrator, or pharmacist.

Rick Stansby

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 09:38:38 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Sun, 16 May 2010 17:25

I've searched, and read a few similar threads to get some ideas. If you think I've stupidly slacked off on my research, feel free not to post, opposed to telling me I'm an idiot. Thanks.

This should be a sticky.
Rick

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »

Rick Stansby wrote on Sun, 16 May 2010 21:38

This should be a sticky.

If you think you should only get the answers you want you should stick to the library and avoid the Internet.

Mac

Dick Rees

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 09:57:28 PM »

Phoenix???
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:58:40 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Mon, 17 May 2010 02:25

Sometimes people forget this:

http://www.answers.com/topic/speech-is-silver-but-silence-is -golden

Smile

Rick Stansby

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 10:08:49 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Sun, 16 May 2010 18:49

This should be a sticky.

If you think you should only get the answers you want you should stick to the library and avoid the Internet.

Mac

I may not have been clear.

I want to get honest answers.  I don't see the benefit of telling someone to do a search, without pointing out a specific thread that is relevant.
I have noticed that you tend to point people towards answers.  I have also seen numerous posts that don't address the topic, in favor of insulting the OP and telling him to do a search.  I feel that these posts simply increase the noise to signal ratio on this board.  I think it should be implied that anyone who asks a question here has tried to search for the answer and failed.  It is quicker to ignore a question than it is to reply with no relevant content.

I am talking about the replies that simply state: "This has been discussed a thousand times, do a search."  As opposed to replies that say: "This has been discussed before, I found this thread that is relevant (insert link here)"
Rick

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 10:19:11 PM »

Rick Stansby wrote on Mon, 17 May 2010 04:08

Mac Kerr wrote on Sun, 16 May 2010 18:49

This should be a sticky.

Mac

I may not have been clear.

I want to get honest answers.  I don't see the benefit of telling someone to do a search, without pointing out a specific thread that is relevant.
I have noticed that you tend to point people towards answers.  I have also seen numerous posts that don't address the topic, in favor of insulting the OP and telling him to do a search.  I feel that these posts simply increase the noise to signal ratio on this board.  I think it should be implied that anyone who asks a question here has tried to search for the answer and failed.  It is quicker to ignore a question than it is to reply with no relevant content.

I am talking about the replies that simply state: "This has been discussed a thousand times, do a search."  As opposed to replies that say: "This has been discussed before, I found this thread that is relevant (insert link here)"

If you're the one looking for an answer to something and I remember that it has been discussed, I'm doing you a favour by letting you know that I know for sure that there is info on the subject to be found on the site - even if I don't have the time to search for it for you right this moment.

This is a general statement and not related to the OP.

PS.  Insults are bad karma and should be avoided, I'll agree to that!

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 10:20:47 PM »

Rick Stansby wrote on Sun, 16 May 2010 22:08

This is not a Wiki. It is a discussion forum, and people who drop in to ask a question and expect someone else to do the work of finding it are likely to not get the answer they want. How about the inverse, where the questioner says "These are the threads I've looked through (with links) and I think my question is actually different, for this reason"? That is no more than they are expecting from someone else to solve their problem.

It is tiresome to see the same question get asked over and over with no effort at all to see if the question has already been answered.

Mac

Rick Stansby

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 10:24:32 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Sun, 16 May 2010 19:20

Rick Stansby wrote on Sun, 16 May 2010 22:08

This is not a Wiki. It is a discussion forum, and people who drop in to ask a question and expect someone else to do the work of finding it are likely to not get the answer they want. How about the inverse, where the questioner says "These are the threads I've looked through (with links) and I think my question is actually different, for this reason"? That is no more than they are expecting from someone else to solve their problem.

It is tiresome to see the same question get asked over and over with no effort at all to see if the question has already been answered.

Mac

Fair enough, but when I ask a question I don't expect anybody to do any work for me.  I expect people who are interested in participating in the conversation to participate.

P.S. On the other hand, I have to agree that it is easier to help someone if they  take the time to state that searches have not been successful.  So I can definitely see your side, and I will try to detail my searches in the future, to preempt the "do a search" responses.

Rick
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.