ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub Snake Questions  (Read 3019 times)

Kyle Douglas

Sub Snake Questions
« on: May 14, 2010, 10:53:47 PM »

Hello!

I have a 30ft Male to Female xlr snake. I want to make the female end into an end with a box of inputs on it. Do they sell the box with male inputs and female outputs??

Thanks in advance!

Jordan Wolf

• http://www.facebook.com/howlingwolf487
Re: Sub Snake Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 11:27:39 PM »

So, if I'm reading this right...

You are looking for a metal box with XLR females for stage inputs and XLR males (maybe on the side or end) that you can plug your snake's existing female connectors into so that it becomes a makeshift stagebox?

I think you'd be better off just buying a snake with a fanout on one end and a stagebox on the other...they're just built better when they come from the factory - less parts of the signal chain that something can go wrong in, too.  

You could multipin the one fanout to a common pinout (Whirlwind's, for example) and then buy/make a stagebox that has the same pinout.  Then, you would have both a fanout AND a stagebox for the same run of copper.

(I personally feel like that may not be worth it, but it's your money.)

Heck...get a Whirlwind Mini drop snake and be done with it.
Wolf
<><

"A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
- Me

"With that much comb filtering you could probably part your hair just by walking through the room." - Dick Rees

Kyle Douglas

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 11:29:52 PM »

I like that series, I'm looking into it now. I agree with what you're saying, thanks for the advice.

Lester Moran

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 04:29:15 PM »

Jordan Wolf wrote on Sat, 15 May 2010 04:27

That 12ch Whirlwind is a good one, I have one that I use as a drum-riser drop, the good part is it's very durable, and the box is compact enough to tuck under Bil-Jax decks even when used w/o legs as a drum riser.  The bad part is I still don't like Whirlwind's relatively stiff blue cable.  I don't like Whirlwind's mini-drops that are designed to have inputs sticking out on both sides.  The design creates a low-profile with a big footprint (for a little snake) that can subject them to foot-abuse on tight stages (if you're not able to tuck the input-box under a riser or something).

Proco makes these with a good compact box in four and eight channel versions that are cheaper, and have a more flexible multicore attached.  Proco is not as durable as Whirlwind though, which may not be an issue if you're typically handling it yourself.

FWIW,
Les

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 04:40:43 PM »

The EWI drop snakes are great for the price.  The 8ch 50ft model is $130 plus shipping.  It's not Whirlwind but it is much more durable than Hosa and other entry-level brands.   http://www.audiopile.net/products/Stagelink_snakes/PSX-8/PSX -8_cutsheet.shtml
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

jeremy robertson

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 09:22:58 PM »

Jared Chrysostom

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 10:41:55 PM »

Check out CBI while you're shopping. They have different grades of cable/connectors available, depending on what you're willing to spend. Great customer service too.

I ordered a 30ft 8ch fan-fan and a 100ft 16X8 box-fan, on a Friday. Both custom jobs... I got them on Tuesday. That's pretty good in my book.

Mike McNany

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 09:28:15 AM »

Lester Moran wrote on Sat, 15 May 2010 16:29

Jordan Wolf wrote on Sat, 15 May 2010 04:27

I don't like Whirlwind's mini-drops that are designed to have inputs sticking out on both sides.  The design creates a low-profile with a big footprint (for a little snake) that can subject them to foot-abuse on tight stages (if you're not able to tuck the input-box under a riser or something).

I have, use, and like the Whirlwind mini-6. I like the flat box with the horizontal jacks. However, AFAIK that box is discontinued. You'll be happy to know the new ones look like a cut down version of the mini-12 with all the jacks in a single row.

Mike McNany
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.