ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voice of the Detroit Tigers passes...  (Read 798 times)

John Halliburton

Voice of the Detroit Tigers passes...
« on: May 05, 2010, 12:35:44 am »

Announcer, and broadcasting legend, Ernie Harwell passed away today at age 92, one year after being diagnosed with bile duct cancer.

I'd usually post a link to the obit, and I will, but Ernie was truly one of a kind.  A superb voice, with great style on the air.  If you've ever listened to him announce a Tigers game, you know what I am talking about.  The Tigers were not his first announcing job though, he started out in Brooklyn for the Dodgers, moved on to the New York Giants, then Baltimore for the Orioles before coming to Detroit in 1960.  He would announce Tigers games for 42 years, including two of the best years in baseball, the Tigers '67 and '68 seasons.  The '68 series, dominated by a pitching legend, another pitcher who would blow a legendary career, and seven games of pure tension and thrills will always make me a fan of the game.  Being 10 and a kid growing up outside of Detroit, it didn't get much better than that.

RIP Ernie.

Best regards,

John

PS.   http://detnews.com/article/20100504/SPORTS0104/5040423/Legen dary-broadcaster-Ernie-Harwell-dies-at-92

TJ (Tom) Cornish

Re: Voice of the Detroit Tigers passes...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 01:07:14 pm »

My wife and I were at the Twins/Tigers game last night and they did a nice tribute to Mr. Harwell.  Though I didn't know him, I can appreciate the impact someone in his position can have. The Twins lost their similarly long-lived announcer Herb Carneal in 2007 (broadcast for the Twins 1962-2006) and I still miss him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.