ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW KF650z - Any reviews?  (Read 14601 times)

Darren Brown

EAW KF650z - Any reviews?
« on: March 10, 2011, 10:24:15 AM »

Hi guys,

got an opportunity to try these out in a few weeks. The production provider also keeps Arcs, but he swears the KF650 is a better box...

Anyone used these at all?

Darren.

Ivan Feder

• Paris, France
Re: EAW KF650z - Any reviews?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »

Go with the Arcs!!!!

Rich Frembes

• Fulcrum Acoustic
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 11:19:23 AM »

The KF650z and its sister cab the KF695z are great sounding boxes when used with EAW's UX8800 processor.  With any other processor they're hit or miss depending on the skill and care taken by the operator to match EAW's settings. IMHO this is likely (and unfortunately) much of the cause of whatever negative feelings may exist out there regarding the product.

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 05:35:13 PM »

Go with the Arcs!!!!

I'd also second the Arcs... depending on your application requirements.....as suggested the KFs need the proper processing (UX8800) to sound good....

Rich Frembes

• Fulcrum Acoustic
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 07:11:23 PM »

Well to be absolutely fair, the Arcs need proper processing -- i.e. factory-authorized or matched settings -- to sound good as well.

Darren Brown

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 08:10:42 PM »

I think I most likely will go with the Arcs, only as I know them. For the record though the provider did mention that it was EAW processing... Actually maybe I'll take the EAW just to see what they're like in that case...

Cheers all.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 09:38:05 AM »

Hi guys,

got an opportunity to try these out in a few weeks. The production provider also keeps Arcs, but he swears the KF650 is a better box...

Darren.

Depends on the application.

650z is better for shorter throws, and more pleasant up close. Wider coverage, more usable as singles etc.
ARCS throw further, can be used for larger shows. Sounds pretty good when you fly them, can be a bit agressive in a groundstack. And you'll probably need more than one a side on any job.

IMHO :)

Seiyua Tang

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 02:51:21 PM »

The EAW 650z with the UX8800 Gunness focusing made the box sound so much better than before, but I would still choose the ARCS.  They have a tighter more controlled coverage area and a crisper sound.  I do not like to take splaying measurements, and the 650's will have hot spots if you do not do that correctly.

Seiyua Tang

Peter Morris

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 11:28:43 PM »

Hi guys,

Darren.

I agree with your production provider - Gunness Focused 650s will outperform the ARCS, but you will not win any friends with EAW anything - Go with the ARCS it’s a much safer position for you if something does not go that well.

Peter

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 06:46:44 PM »

I think I most likely will go with the Arcs, only as I know them. For the record though the provider did mention that it was EAW processing... Actually maybe I'll take the EAW just to see what they're like in that case...

Cheers all.

If so, make sure the "EAW processing" is the UX8800 and not something older (i.e. MX8750).  Only the UX8800 has the Gunness-focusing "magic" everyone's talking about.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 06:46:44 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.