Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

SDI Genclock/Ref?

<< < (2/2)

Mike Fariss:

--- Quote from: Tom Williams on March 10, 2011, 03:08:44 AM ---...I have genclock outs via Camera cotrol units and some DA's but I also have a Ref out on the vision mixer I/O unit. Are these the same thing?

Thanks for any advise you can give.

--- End quote ---

In other parts of the world the term “Vision Mixer” is used to describe what we call a “Switcher” in the states. 

If the switcher is an older Ross Synergy, the ref input needs to be SDI.  It is the only box that I have used that dose not use an analog ref signal.

The OP says that there is Gen Lock available form the CCUs and some DAs.  CCUs do not generate ref, but have loop outs form their referance inputs.  DAs only give you copies of what is going in, so unless there is a ref source somewhere in the system you do not have gen lock.

The Ross Vision and Synergy switchers do not have internal reference generators, you will need an external ref source with these.  The Ross Crossover has reference outputs that can be used as your master ref source.  In either case, take your master ref signal and use DAs to feed all of your gear.  Like Kevin said, you can daisy chain using loop throughs, but if one cable goes bad, everything downstream form that one cable will loose gen lock.

Kevin Hoober:

--- Quote from: Mike Fariss on March 17, 2011, 10:12:07 PM ---In other parts of the world the term “Vision Mixer” is used to describe what we call a “Switcher” in the states.
If the switcher is an older Ross Synergy, the ref input needs to be SDI.  It is the only box that I have used that does not use an analog ref signal.

--- End quote ---

Mike,
Thanks for that great info--that explains why my old Synergy was referenced to SDI Black, instead of BlackBurst, like the rest of the system!

Kevin H.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version